X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kali
    • Jul 2014

Re Dye Leather Sleeves Question

I was wondering if anyone has had experience dyeing "blistered leather" I have a really nice denim jacket from Rick with leather sleeves and the sleeves went from black to dark green over time. Am I able possibly use something like "Edge Kote" leather dye and paint the sleeves back to black?
  • narziss
    • Nov 2012

method one: professional re-dye

do NOT use edge kote. this product is meant for sealing & coloring edges on belts and bags.
    it is possible to dye them, erm, back to black. what you need is acetone (nail polish remover works, the actual stuff from home depot works, the fiebing's deglazer works. there isn't that much difference) and fiebing's professional oil dye. if you want to reseal the leather afterwards: fiebing's acrylic resin.

wear gloves, and PROTECT the denim, do it somewhere where spills don't matter. this dye will stain like crazy. you won't get it out of wood and fabric once it's there.

first, the acetone acts as a degreasing agent: that means it will take off whatever protective film (i.e. lacquer, wax etc) is over the leather.
    just use a cotton cloth soaked in acetone and rub it over the leather.

let dry.

then wet the sleeves with a water-soaked rag (this isn't absolutely necessary, but it will do wonders for a more even coating. it will also help the dye to better penetrate the leather) wait a few minutes until the water is soaked up. after that, use a cotton dab and apply the dye in circular motions. apply little dye at a time but go over the sleeves a few times.

let dry.

now it's done. if you want to reseal it, i recommend acrylic resolene. i do recommend diluting the resolene with up to 50% water or the outcome will be very shiny and feel a bit plasticky.

method 2: lazy fatliquoring (recommended)

you can just use a non-drying oil to turn the leather a darker shade. it should be possible to turn it back to black (or a much darker shade) with one to three coats of neatsfoot oil. best wait a day between each coat. olive oil works too, but it won't darken the leather as much as neatsfoot oil. use a rag, apply little over several runs rather than lots at once. the problem here is that it will be much harder to re-dye in case it shouldn't work, so i recommend trying it on the inside front of the sleeve where the leather isn't usually visible when worn. don't worry if the result looks patchy at first, the oil will distribute itself evenly within the leather over the course of a few days.

edit: don't know much about RO. just looked up the blistered leather and the textures are beautiful. does anyone know how it's made?

Comment

• Bleu1950
      • Jan 2013

great write up. one question - doesn't olive oil damage the leather? have heard mixed results from people

Comment

• narziss
        • Nov 2012

i've been using it on my products for years now with great results, and i know oldschool saddle/holster makers who swear by it. however, i only used vegetable-tanned leathers, not that i think it matters, but it might. any non-drying oil should work, really. obviously, you shouldn't overdo it.

one common concern seems to be that olive oil can go rancid; however, leather is very breathable so i don't think that concern is warranted, especially with the small amount required for two sleeves.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎