X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ulf
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Matias_Zurich View Post
    What i'm saying is that i don't wear today's Prada as i won't change my taste in accordance with Miuccia's whims. ''This season, i wanted it to look girly and candy'' Good on ya mate
    Oki-dokey, thanks for the clarification. Few things surprise me, but it did seem odd to ditch old stuff because the designer has changed their POV. Just a misunderstanding, I suppose.

Comment

• Matias_Zurich
      • Nov 2015

relevance, as a whole, is not tantamount to my personal tastes, though.
      I like this quote by Jil Sander : 'The apparent pointlessness of fashion may be just what makes it so strong as a zeitgeist sensor. Even I, a designer, do not know why a certain proportion feels dated or why another one feels exciting at a given moment. I leave that to the cultural historians and theorists.'
      From an interview she gave to The Guardian in 2011.

Comment

• tornaremavencer
        • Aug 2012

Didn't want to ake a new topic ony for it - sad but true words from gosha rubchinskiy (the worst new designer)-

It is weird that until the late 90s ready-to-wear and streetwear were strictly separated, and now, a collection without trainers is just unimaginable.
        Fashion is about stories. Yves Saint Laurent told his, as well as Lagerfeld and Jean Paul Gaultier. These designers represent a different world. There was a shift in the late 90s, fashion discovered youth culture and the stories of young people. People like Hedi and Raf based their work on it. Streetwear brands like Supreme could only get as big as they are because of them. Over time the market changed. People want to hear new stories every day, and they look for them.

You need to give things a soul. Fashion itself is nothing. Luxury is in the eye of the beholder and you can make it. The right story turns even a beer bottle into a luxurious item, so that you want it and you would die for it. Whatever it is: the product itself is not important. A Supreme sweater can be as desirable as a Chanel dress.

You compared a Chanel dress with a Supreme hoodie earlier. Hype can compensate for any difference in quality.
        That's true. Quality and feelings were the things that mattered most in past, today it is about an image and an accessible vision. People generally don't care about the fabrics or workmanship anymore. If they want something, they'll buy it anyway, no matter how it looks like on them, what counts is image.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

True for the most part, though I don't plan on dying for beer.

As an aside about Rubchinsky - I heard a version that he's simply taking a piss and that's why the clothes are so terrible. Which would be kind of amazing if that was true.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

Yes, but would it be authentic?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I know you are being coy, but I'll answer you seriously, for once. Authenticity is only one parameter for judgement out of many. When I admire the work of McQueen, for example, authenticity does not come into my judgement, at least not at the top level. I do think that McQueen's edge was authentic, as opposed to, say, Galliano, who is extremely talented, but completely untethered to anything but mere surface.

For me authenticity takes on more significance when I discuss the wearer. It's not completely absent when discussing designers (see, Ann Demeulemeester), but there are other criteria, perhaps more significant (i.e. talent).
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SafetyKat
                • Aug 2014

This brought to mind the popularity of the "haul" videos the original article talked about. I can definitely see the ideas of simulacra and Simulation heavily relating with that kind of consumerism. Are they buying all of that junk because they REALLLLYY like clothes? Fancy themselves as tastemakers? Or are they more in love with the ideas of the commodity, and thus, the feelings that come with a shopping spree?

Applying Baudrillard to the concept of fashion; I was not prepared for this level of abstraction at this time of night, and here I thought I should be getting to bed at a decent hour for once. Food for thought at a later time. Maybe even starting another thread.

Comment

• round
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SafetyKat View Post
                  This brought to mind the popularity of the "haul" videos the original article talked about.
                  Oh god, I really hate these videos, most of the garments will likely never be worn, I think that bulk shopping provides an adrenaline rush to people, which used to be the main reason why I used to buy so much at once.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by round View Post
                    Oh god, I really hate these videos, most of the garments will likely never be worn, I think that bulk shopping provides an adrenaline rush to people, which used to be the main reason why I used to buy so much at once.
                    I watch these from time to time, because I’m a masochist.
                    It makes one kind of understand terrorists’ hatred towards the Western society.
                    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                    -Paris Hilton

Comment

• round
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                      I watch these from time to time, because I’m a masochist.
                      It makes one kind of understand terrorists’ hatred towards the Western society.
                      It is too much for me to watch, it drives me fucking insane, would love to know if any of those people even like the clothes that they buy, or if they know how the garments are made..

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎