X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xeraphim
    • Nov 2008

Demna Gvasalia Named Creative Director of Balenciaga

PARIS, France — Demna Gvasalia, the wunderkind Georgian designer behind Vetements, has been appointed the next creative director of Balenciaga.

In recent seasons, Vetements has sent ripples of new energy through the Paris fashion scene with classic, democratic clothing reimagined with new proportions and imbued with a raw-edged street sensibility. The breakout label — run by a collective that also includes Demna’s brother Guram Gvasalia and several of their friends — is best known for its oversized mannish tailoring, floral dresses and reconstructed jeans. Vetements was one of eight finalists for the LVMH Prize in 2015 and recently presented its Spring/Summer 2016 collection at a buzzy show that drew key industry insiders to a kitschy Chinese restaurant in Paris’ Belleville.

Previously, Demna Gvasalia worked behind the scenes at Margiela for eight years (while Mr. Martin Margiela was still at the house), as well as at Louis Vuitton for a short period. Agnès Barret, a recruiter who worked with Mr. Martin Margiela, has referred to Gvasalia as Mr. Margiela’s “spiritual son.”

News of the appointment follows former Balenciaga creative director Alexander Wang’s final show for the brand, which took place last Friday after a “joint decision” by Wang and Balenciaga parent company Kering not to renew their contract.

Source: BoF
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

A classic case of too much, too soon.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

they should have given me the Job!......LOL

I cannot comment on it. I know nothing about the designer to even begin to make an assessment of it.
      however, when Tisci was hired at Givenchy, he had just done his 2nd collection under his own name and he turned out quite well.

My issue with this is only that from what i see at Vetements Its not the Balenciaga aesthetic, and now with the absence of Ghesquiere and now Wang leaving, the brands direction is changing too many hands too quickly
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Ahimsa
        Vegan Police
        • Sep 2011

^ Basically what Zam said.

I would much rather prefer to see Vetements grow and evolve than to see him split his time with a house that I see no resemblance to in style. Though perhaps he is actually extremely talented in that he will be able to keep both houses distinctly different.
        StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎