X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

SZ-Mag op-ed | WHAT ROBERT PIRSIG TAUGHT ME ABOUT DESIGN

Not even sure if this is the right section to post this, but I fear some may have missed this, and it's a wonderful read. Regardless of whether you've read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance or not. Because if you haven't, you might be persuaded to do so by the end. Wonderful, Eugene.

WHAT ROBERT PIRSIG TAUGHT ME ABOUT DESIGN
    Apr 25, 2017|Eugene Rabkin

Robert Pirsig, the author of the cult novel “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,” passed away yesterday at his home in Maine. The below reflections are in lieu of an obituary.

One day in my early twenties I stood in the Zen Buddhist book section of a Barnes & Noble in Union Square, holding a book with a peculiar and intriguing title, “Zen and the Art of the Motorcycle Maintenance” by Robert Pirsig. It seemed at once esoteric but also of this world. As many people of my age I was searching for answers as to why the world I lived in felt so alienating. And, like many others, I was reading books on Buddhist philosophy in the hope of finding some insight. This one seemed different. “You should get that one,” a chubby girl standing next to me said. I looked at her and the conviction in her eyes pushed me over the edge. In my mind from time to time I still thank her, because ZAMM became my guiding light in terms of my worldview, which also includes my appreciation of design. When people ask where the principles that underpin my opinions come from, I point them to Pirsig.
    I became engrossed in the book from its opening passages, and I gobbled it up, though it was a dense read. The arc of Pirsig’s thoughts was not for the faint of brain – not having his IQ of 170, mine had to work at full capacity. But the rewards of my newfound understanding were immense.

In short, Pirsig proposed that alienation we feel is because what he called our classic understanding of the world – everything that has to do with reason, which includes science and technology, and its underlying principle of function – and our romantic understanding of the world – everything that has to do with intuition, such as art and other cultural disciplines, and its underlying principle of form – have been artificially put at odds with each other by the fundamental teachings of Western civilization. Pirsig puts the blame on Plato and Aristotle, though I would not go so far back in history. I think the separation of form and function occurred after the Renaissance and at the dawn of industrial revolution (Martin Luther is also to blame, but that’s another story).

To put it crudely, Pirsig maintains that before the split there was no distinction in the West between art and craft. There was no such thing as fine art, nor was art considered useless. Those decorated Greek urns we now look at behind glass in museums had a function. “Actually a root word of technology, techne, originally meant ‘art.’ The ancient Greeks never separated art from manufacture in their minds, and so never developed separate words for them,” he wrote.

According to Pirsig, as Europe’s population grew, we had good reasons to decouple form from function in order to let scientific revolution reign, which in turn eventually clothed, fed, and raised the quality of life for most people in the West. In the process everything that has to do with the classic understanding came to be viewed as serious and useful, and everything that has to do with the romantic understanding came to be viewed as frivolous and useless. And because we removed all romantic thinking from scientific revolution, we have built a world full of technological ugliness that is evident in everything from bad architecture to a sea of horrible mass market stuff we now drown in, alienated from what once was familiar.

Now that we have been sated with stuff and that for many of us in the West the quality of life is unprecedentedly high, at least in historical terms, what Pirsig foresaw is the flight to quality we are witnessing now. This is why we are fascinated with design more than ever before. And for Pirsig the only way to quality was through uniting the classic and the romantic understanding of the world. And that’s when the light bulb went on for me – there is nothing in this world that combines form and function, intuition and pragmatism, aesthetics and technology, the way design does. All around me I was witnessing the rise of interest in design on society’s part, and now I knew why. It made total sense.

Continued on sz-mag
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Thank you, mrbeuys! It really does shed some light on how I think. I do hope forum members read it and comment.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• monster
      • Aug 2009

Great article on a great book!
      I first came across Pirsig's name mentioned by Faust several years ago in "what are you reading" thread here (million thanks). The book instantly became one of the defining products of thought I ever encountered in my life. It's not about designing things (which is more applicable for someone like Papanek), but more about designing yourself, cultivating Quality in yourself and establishing indissoluble links with the world. I hope everybody can appreciate Pirsig's work.
      And a small quote which I like a lot:
      Maybe it’s just the usual late afternoon letdown, but after all I’ve said about all these things today I just have a feeling that I’ve somehow talked around the point. Some could ask, "Well, if I get around all those gumption traps, then will I have the thing licked?"
      The answer, of course, is no, you still haven’t got anything licked. You’ve got to live right too. It’s the way you live that predisposes you to avoid the traps and see the right facts. You want to know how to paint a perfect painting? It’s easy. Make yourself perfect and then just paint naturally. That’s the way all the experts do it. The making of a painting or the fixing of a motorcycle isn’t separate from
      the rest of your existence. If you’re a sloppy thinker the six days of the week you aren’t working on your machine, what trap avoidances, what gimmicks, can make you all of a sudden sharp on the seventh? It all goes together.
      But if you’re a sloppy thinker six days a week and you really try to be sharp on the seventh, then maybe the next six days aren’t going to be quite as sloppy as the preceding six. What I’m trying to come up with on these gumption traps I guess, is shortcuts to living right.
      The real cycle you’re working on is a cycle called yourself. The machine that appears to be "out there" and the person that appears to be "in here" are not two separate things. They grow toward Quality or fall away from Quality together.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Yes, I remember that quote and it is so true. I am so glad that at least one person got something out of it! My job is done :-)
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Glennphilips
          Banned
          • Dec 2022

First, let’s talk about the benefits of soundbars. Soundbars are basically a single, long speaker that is designed to fit under or above your television. They provide rich, room-filling sound without taking up a lot of space. Some soundbars even come with a wireless subwoofer that can be placed anywhere in the room to provide an even more immersive experience. https://drsoundbar.com/best-soundbar-for-lg-tv/

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎