Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

TAKAHIROMIYASHITA The Soloist S/S19 Men’s – Lookbook

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store
  • timm3h
    • Mar 2011

First off, I was never really exposed to punk or grunge growing up so that aspect of this collection is lost on me. Without the nostalgia, this collection just seems like a boring mishmash of stripes and helvetica to me. The Charles Peterson graphics strike me as less impactful on sportswear than on the suit he made a decade ago.

Digging a bit deeper, it seems the bombers are made from vintage quilts -- cool, but not particularly notable when other Japanese brands have been doing similar things for years. Apparently the shirts can be worn both backwards and inside out, which is interesting... will have to see those in person. I'm sure there will be plenty more surprises, construction-wise, but from a birds-eye view this collection doesn't do much for me.
    Clothing deconstruction & review

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by timm3h View Post
      First off, I was never really exposed to punk or grunge growing up so that aspect of this collection is lost on me. Without the nostalgia, this collection just seems like a boring mishmash of stripes and helvetica to me. The Charles Peterson graphics strike me as less impactful on sportswear than on the suit he made a decade ago.

Digging a bit deeper, it seems the bombers are made from vintage quilts -- cool, but not particularly notable when other Japanese brands have been doing similar things for years. Apparently the shirts can be worn both backwards and inside out, which is interesting... will have to see those in person. I'm sure there will be plenty more surprises, construction-wise, but from a birds-eye view this collection doesn't do much for me.
      I did see those in person and they are sick.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MajesticMap
        • Nov 2011

Never caught the connection between punk, particularly grunge with it's cut n paste, thrifted energy, and high end fashion. The price point alone makes it decidedly unpunk. But I mean, mudhoney? It's interesting but it feels like they're runnin' outta bands
        is that make sense to ya'll?!

Comment

• croatoan
          • Jul 2007

Yeah I did grow up with punk and grunge (and in the northwest no less) so this has all been played out for years now. Especially when the references are at the most basic, obvious level. I know he likes to wear his influences on his sleeve but this isn't "I loved and deeply dove into this scene" as much as it is "I had a TV in the 90s".
          Last edited by croatoan; 07-01-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by croatoan View Post
            Yeah I did grow up with punk and grunge (and in the northwest no less) so this has all been played out for years now. Especially when the references are at the most basic, obvious level. I know he likes to wear his influences on his sleeve but this isn't "I loved and deeply dove into this scene" as much as it is "I had a TV in the 90s".
            If it's any help, the collection references a particular photography book, Touch Me, I'm Sick, by Charles Peterson, who documented the Seattle scene. Not sure if being more particular is of any benefit to your perception though.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎