Thread: Your recent purchases

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

To conclude shortly, I'd say that this discussion is only about "distinction", in a bourdieusian way, and that I'm amazed that some people here truly think that they're better than those who wear D&G belts or carry LV bags. There's no difference between them and us. Sorry to state the obvious.

Well, yes and no, I'd say... I basically agree with what you and Fuuma say about "good taste", but to a certain point only.

Maybe I'm wrong but, as it comes to my mind... If you assume "good taste" is nothing but arbitrary (social) distinctions, i.e. pure conventions, don't you have to endorse a purely relativist position as far are as any aesthetic judgment is concerned?

Maybe you would assume it, but I don't. I mean, for example, I don't think it is fair and correct to say that the only difference between, let's say, Cezanne and, let's say, any cartoonist is purely conventional, depending on the way the intelligentsia historically came to adopt this or that distinction strategy.

Why that? Hum, here comes serious business and I may have a few ideas, but if I already managed to bore you, I'd like to stop before I bore myself (I also realize my English is not good). Furthermore: I'm about to come to defend such a think as a "universal criteria", something that really does not sound good to me... Once again tricked by words... I don't trust them.

Wtf ate you doing, seenmy. We are talking here!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Obviously it is false to assume when encountering an individual to judge his/her character through dress.
    Is it really, though? Now, if by character, you mean something like the totality of an individual's character, then you're obviously right. It seems wrong to think, for example, that just because someone likes Crocs that she is a bad person--one does not have enough information to make such an inference. However, it doesn't seem wrong (at least to me) to think that because someone likes Crocs that he has bad taste--one might be wrong, of course, but the inference, at least, seems okay. If we properly restrict our area of inquiry into those aspects of an individual's character that directly relate to whatever we're looking into, then what's the problem? As you point out in your next sentence,

And yet, I don't think it's completely unsubstantiated to make assumptions based on what groups of people [and individuals?] wear.
    Neither do I, and I'm not sure why anyone would. One, of course, must do so cautiously, but I see nothing wrong with it per se. To quote liberally from Jerrold Levinson:

One’s taste, in the sense of personal preferences in matters aesthetic, arguably not only partly reveals who one is or what sort of person one is, but also partly constitutes who one is or what sort of person one is. Let us term the totality of such aesthetic preferences an aesthetic personality. It seems fair to say that one’s aesthetic personality is a proper part of who one is and of what defines and distinguishes one as an individual. As such, it is something that contributes to one’s integrity and enters into one’s identity, in the familiar loose, if not metaphysically strict, sense of the term. And the largest, arguably most important, part of an aesthetic personality would seem to consist in preferences among what is available for experience within the artistic domain.
    The quotation obviously doesn't deal directly with fashion, but it's obvious how one can say the same kind of thing with respect to how people dress.

Yes, I mean the totality of character. Hence the following sentence.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Majax View Post
    Why that? Hum, here comes serious business and I may have a few ideas, but if I already managed to bore you, I'd like to stop before I bore myself (I also realize my English is not good). Furthermore: I'm about to come to defend such a think as a "universal criteria", something that really does not sound good to me... Once again tricked by words... I don't trust them.
    I'm interested. Elaborate.
    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Majax View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong but, as it comes to my mind... If you assume "good taste" is nothing but arbitrary (social) distinctions, i.e. pure conventions, don't you have to endorse a purely relativist position as far are as any aesthetic judgment is concerned?
    I was only saying that people who think that they're more subtle - i.e. have better taste - because they wear clothes without logo and "subtle" details are wrong. I was speaking of the wearers, their self-appreciation (that's why I was refering to Bourdieu, who's often only stating the obvious unfortunaltely) and, actually, their infatuation, I didn't say anything about the items, and their intrinsic qualities.

Actually, against any kind of sociological definition of what is art, I'm not at all a relativist, and I do think that there are "universal criterias" to evaluate a work of art (internal cohesiveness, semantic and semiological richness, over-determination, capacity to let the underlying psychic processes of the viewer/reader/listener play in various ways, etc.) - even though my purpose is more to understand how a work of art works, and what are the meanings/senses that it produces, than to evaluate it.

I like an Italian guido style in the streets of Milano, I like to see a rapper attire in the Parisian RER, I like a full monogram look on a girl in the waiting area of an airport when they're well done, i.e. when everything is cohesive - which is something different than harmonious.
    Last edited by Chant; 05-06-2012 at 10:54 AM.

The Chrome Hearts Russian ghetto infiltration is now official. During my daughters swimming practice saw another parent in a logged CH tee paired with gray Nike sweatpants and Adidas Sambas.Priceless.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

The Chrome Hearts Russian ghetto infiltration is now official. During my daughters swimming practice saw another parent in a logged CH tee paired with gray Nike sweatpants and Adidas Sambas.Priceless.

would it have been so obvious if it weren't for your heightened sense of awareness based on this discussion?
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

actually, he had a nearly identical sighting a week ago
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

i dunno why someone would wear an overpriced tee shirt to swim practice but we're not ragging on nike and adidas are we? honestly, i have to sit through 4 hrs of little league each week, i aint getting dressed decently for it

Quote Originally Posted by lowrey View Post
    actually, he had a nearly identical sighting a week ago
    Yep. Chrome Hearts has become their Dolce and Gabbana

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Yep. Chrome Hearts has become their Dolce and Gabbana
    Hang on, that's an implied compliment for DG right? You know I have a soft spot for them...
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Loving the CH wars! D&G is alive and well here, don't worry - Versace too.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I'm more offended that he's pairing Nike with Adidas in the same outfit...

calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Quote Originally Posted by kuugaia View Post
    ... I don't have a problem with Chrome Hearts jewllery (it's actually alright), but the majority of the people I see rocking Chrome Hearts merchandise (not the jewellery specifically) ruin it for me. Not because I'm better than them, or whatever bullshit; it's simply because we're different people. It's the association with a group that I don't feel like I belong with that's the problem...
    Kuugaia, while I sympathize with you on this, if I had to like everyone that wore a particular brand - in order to wear it - I'd have to go naked.

I'm sure I'm not saying anything you don't already know, but there will always be someone that can "ruin" a brand for you. F' em.

Awesome fully lined and warm leather sleeve
    Thank you libertyofstyle, thank you so much for going to such a leanth for me.
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.
    ____
    sorry for my bad english, i learned it from the book.

I too am inspired by homeless people when I buy a $1,000 jacket. Why don't we just shit on them? Oh, fashion, sometimes I wonder why I bother...(Faust)

I know it may be a bit of an older item, but just picked this up from centrale... super soft, stacks real well in the arms (so I can wear gauntlet leather fingerless gloves with no overlap)

http://centrale-frankfurt.com/centra...d_black.html#0

If you're going to post in recent purchases, let's stick to personal photos instead of links to retail outlets. Thanks.

There are times when people post items they've ordered and haven't even received yet, which strikes me as a little out of line with the idea the thread was created for.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzar View Post
    Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Its a cool shirt but out of curiosity did you pay full retail for something from ss11?