Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MetroBulotDodo
    • Oct 2010

Read a re-energized Ann D thread here and fell in love all over again. In want of some pleasant procrastination, I followed up with my bi-annual ritual: a run through of every Ann D. collection posted on style (ugh ethos, but convenient.)

This seems a natural follow-up.

-MBD
    Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 08-28-2017, 08:50 PM. Reason: i'm a luddite; broken link
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
      • Jan 2010

^Nice! The boots look great in that color. What are the pants made of?

Now you just need a feather necklace.
      THE HOUSE OF DIS
      embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• seatbelts
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by thomcat View Post
        my goodness, winter IS really the season for sz-ers. so many great fits.

not exactly today, as the snow has piled up to the effect of a nuisance when one is in a hurry:
        can you give a breakdown of the whole outfit?
        julius leather jacket size 2
        http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14217

Comment

• thomcat
          • May 2009

^hi. its some brandless vintage hat, julius stole,ph jacket, devoa knit, v-a gloves, julius pants, ann d boots. and thanks merz, its a pain though to get pics taken (outside) in this temperature.

and having (posting) girl members are really making a lot of difference. lots of interesting cuts and tones! great job.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
            • Oct 2010

ETON ACK! I want to see the feet area because I quite fancy this - I imagine it's to be worn to the office, in which case, double kudos. The texture/wash on the PH jacket is something I never thought could pass muster at work (not at my business formal job, where the day I donned a button-up APC shirt, I nearly caused a riot. The pattern, evidently, was risqué.) But as you've worn it here, I can see it very clearly. I wouldn't mind a longer jacket, but with the pants, it's quite coherent.

I am curious about the pant hem (who makes them) and foot wear. I am assuming low, folded hem? Perhaps doubled even and what of the boots? Given the cloud kuckoo land/wolkenkuckucksheim role that your closet plays in my imagination, I suppose you could be wearing anything on the feet.

Final, necessary prop: birthday party balloons. Always. Necessary for a fashionable man. Kind of like a dog.

Thomcat: a beautiful fit - are you using a stereoscopic camera? Or is that simply what people can do on computers now? In any case. It's a beautiful composition.

What I saw first and made me dizzy with both pleasure (and desire)? That hat. Oh dear. Please keep me in mind if you ever decide to part company.

Dis: Of course, the first to commentate on an ANN D trib. Thanks! I tend to veer to natural fabrics: I am suspicious of ramie, polyester, whatever. Though these pants are not as thick as I would like, they are the best cut pants I've ever owned. I think finding them in a rare 34 made a big difference. Even after altering, pants never quite reach the original pristine vision of the designer.

So these are 100% virgin wool. The tops are cotton and cotton jacquard.

Penultimate, but second to none: FtB - it's nice to see your sense of humor. I should mention that I thought that you looked great sans glasses. I notice in HK - the rectangular glasses with thick arms are and have been "the thing" for quite a while. In Japan and Taiwan, they're moving from glasses appropriate to the contemporary architect to the exaggerated vintage styles favored by mid-century architects: classic mies or phillip johnson type frames, made modern. I use a fantastic shop, based in LA and SF called "Spectacles for Humans," - a silly name no doubt, but I discovered a glasses maker I love called "Vue DC." Oh great. Asians are having a conversation about glasses. Next scientific calculators as fashion accessory. (I had BBS make a "Sling" for my TI-85 to wear around my neck....)

A final one: flux -- the oversized hood of your coat is dreamy. Do you ever wear short coats, I wonder? The long coat seems to suit you so well. A quick question: did you like any of the Ann D women's boots this season?I choose to go with vintage and old releases myself...and a long desired pair of RO turbos found on sale...(A proposal: let's chat off-message board sometime about shoes and women's wear sometime?)

I will stop now. Great fits!

-MBD
            "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
            It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
            My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

heh heh, have worn square/"nerdy" frames me whole life - got picked on as a kid because i was outfitted in a pair of Oliver Peoples with a thick round rim in leopard pattern - whoda thunk they would become accepted as I got older. If only then, I would've turned out a different person!...

bored at computer lab; checking out to library soon for another Tuesday.

www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• chameleon
                • Jun 2008

Comment

• Shucks
                  • Aug 2010

what a handsome looking blazer!

(white detailing on sneaks detracts a bit though...)

Comment

• Fade to Black
                    • Sep 2008

yeah that's a smart jacket, asobu. i like the tonal composition of this outfit, if anything the white detailing of the sneakers provides a logical conclusion to it
                    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Lane
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                      (white detailing on sneaks detracts a bit though...)
                      that's what I was thinking. There's something unsettling about them. Maybe different shoes wouldn't compromise the fit. Although most of it is congruent.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post

Dis: Of course, the first to commentate on an ANN D trib. Thanks! I tend to veer to natural fabrics: I am suspicious of ramie, polyester, whatever. So these are 100% virgin wool. The tops are cotton and cotton jacquard.
                        -MBD
                        I will always comment on an Ann Demeulemeester outfit.

I also prefer Ann's natural fabrics like her wool & silk, linen & wool or cotton & metal blends and of course her use of leather. However, sometimes adding a synthetic adds something unique. One thing that has always drawn me to Demeulemeester's clothing has been her material selection.

I should point out ramie is a natural vegetable fiber.
                        THE HOUSE OF DIS
                        embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Servo2000
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                          yeah that's a smart jacket, asobu. i like the tonal composition of this outfit, if anything the white detailing of the sneakers provides a logical conclusion to it
                          Absolutely. I know I often throw down in favor of sneakers over boots (especially pants tucked into boots) but I'd say in this case they're as considered as possible and not just happening to align with my own aesthetic preferences.
                          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• shah
                            • Jul 2009

still no digital camera so... 25F outside is getting cold
                            Last edited by shah; 12-07-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• thomcat
                              • May 2009

@dodo: hey, thanks but no im not using a stereoscopic camera. does it look so? only thing i did on pc was a few contrast tweaks and the bluring of the face. ive made a mental note in my mind though i think the best way to buy a hat is in a shop! (this coming from someone who has bought another hat online).

Comment

• Eye
                                • Jan 2010

chameleon, one of my favorite posters from here
                                you made me like yohji, volumes on the silhouettes are just ...
                                WTB : Incarnation leather jkt szXL / Augusta green ankle boots sz42

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎