Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rosenrot
    • Aug 2010

Rilu: Thank you :) The coat is made in deep purple wool in two tones. I'd definitely wear it unbelted in the future, but if I were to get rid of the belt in this fit, everything would hang loose. The Yohji coat is cut very large overall and droopy on the shoulders. The silhouette would become bottom-heavy due to the large volume of the cardigan and I might end up looking like some hipster with a haul of oversized 80s blazers from the thrift shop. With that said, there's lots of room for experimentation with the coat so I'll be back with the results soon.

Michael_kard & jogu: Thank you for your kind words

Mrbeuys: The Yohji coat was purposefully worn that way with the help of the belt, quite like a geisha's kimono. I do leave it out when I go on short, uneventful trips but there's a lot less fun without the purple coat.

Pumpfish: Yes perhaps the belt gave a bit too much of a jolt as opposed to all the other cooler colours, but you are spot on about needing the belt for the pieces to stay in place.
    Originally posted by Patroklus
    Better too adventurous than not enough
    everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Rosenrot, I also agree about the belt - mostly because it's brown and provides too much contrast to the rest of the outfit. Seems like I am on a belt strike . But, seriously belt is one of those things that can make or break the outfit. I remember when Snafu told me that my double-buckle Poell belt looked like something Dolce and Gabbana would make, and upon further reflection I realized that he was right - on me it did look like that. So, no matter how much I liked it, I passed it on to Zam, who makes much better use of it.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheThief
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JoniF
        RO's aesthetic is still severe (men in dresses) despite hitting somewhat of a creative standstill, which is understandable because one can only be so breathtakingly progressive without a hiccup for so long. So, I don't see a shift in aesthetic just to cater to the mainstream. But HDG couldn't have possibly meant the increasing prevalence of RO in mainstream culture—right? People won't stop hunting for Margiela pieces just 'cause niggas in Paris started wearing Margiela jackets.
        While I have a love-hate relationship with Ricks collections and each season there are pieces that I love, In HdGs' defense, he is doing perfume and sunglasses now, which is definitely a big step towards the total, unabashed, commercialization of a brand. Not to mention the quality control issues that have increased in the past few years, though It's not enough for me to stop loving Rick, I can see why some might.

I'm just sayin'.
        Last edited by TheThief; 12-30-2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
          • Jan 2011

rosenrot's fit definitely brightened things up... that is wonderful

and hdg, i've yet to really like lama boots in a fit until now. they always seemed to me like they'd come off too 3-musketeer ish. but they dont with the more restrained high collar

Comment

• Patroklus
            Banned
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
            they always seemed to me like they'd come off too 3-musketeer ish.
            How can that possibly be a bad thing?

Comment

• messenoire
              • Nov 2009

in all fairness rick's perfume smells like old farts so i don't think he's really stepping too much outside of his aesthetic universe with the introduction of such a foul scent because it is definitely not for everything like most of rick's creations and follows in tune with his aptitude for decay. i don't see major retailers stocking a perfume that was plucked from tooth decay. the sunglasses are another story though...plus rick does have several iterations of $100+ socks which is just silly. also i'm sure it's been brought up before but he has made a lot of adornment items in recent he previously stated he disliked but i can understand all styles are prone to evolve and change even when you have such a clear design aesthetic. if anything he's further away from being mainstream than ever with his ss12 mens collection (re: dresses).

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                • Jan 2011

well my friend i hope you like ruffles...

but yeah ace boot fit hdg

Comment

• Patroklus
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2011

motherfucker i love ruffles
                  lace too
                  but if you were going to try and slander musketeer swag maybe you shouldn't have chosen a pic that didn't look like a kickass damir doma sketch

as far as rick goes, releasing perfume and socks isn't ridiculous so long as you've actually managed to deliver some sort of design quotient. I wasn't pissed at Rick for releasing socks, but for releasing plain old socks with his name embroidered on them. they could have at least fit poorly and come with holes in them, fuck.

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by JoniF
                    RO's aesthetic is still severe (men in dresses) despite hitting somewhat of a creative standstill, which is understandable because one can only be so breathtakingly progressive without a hiccup for so long. So, I don't see a shift in aesthetic just to cater to the mainstream. But HDG couldn't have possibly meant the increasing prevalence of RO in mainstream culture—right? People won't stop hunting for Margiela pieces just 'cause niggas in Paris started wearing Margiela jackets.
                    My point to HDG was not if Rick was selling out, it was, even if he is, why would you sell your old garments? Nothing about the actual garment changed and he obviously like it enough to buy it in the first place.
                    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• hommedeguerre
                      • Jun 2009

I kept my favourite peices. I sold the ones which were not working for me. The quality was also an issue...the dyes in the pants would come out on my hands and thighs. I just began to feel like my money would be better spent elsewhere...ya know?
                      Le 21ème

Comment

• BBYY
                        • Mar 2008

Good thing with Rick is that most of people look like shit in it.
                        Paris Proxy Service

Comment

• Urthwhyte
                          • Oct 2011

^

As compared to what? Of the designers discussed here I would put Rick as the most accessible by far, especially the staple pieces like dunks, shorts, and leathers produced every season.

Comment

• Enaml
                            • Apr 2009

I dunno, depends which part of Rick's catalog you're talking about. Was talking to Arthur at the Archive a few days back about this too... It seems that, at least in regards to menswear, his 'classic' pieces (many of the leathers, sneakers, jeans, boots, probably including drkshdw pieces, etc), despite the well-known and frequent quality issues, are pretty popular. A big part of this is that they're wearable with other stuff and can be pretty casual... Especially when compared to some of his more extreme stuff. I see some streetstyle blogs with photos of guys wearing some of his crazier pieces and well...

How do you guys like the fit of my new CCP suit?

Comment

• HWith
                              • May 2007

Adding to the above, most people look like shit no matter which designer they wear. It's kind of sad considering the amount of time and money invested in the outfits. But I guess we've already gone through this several times in this thread especially (but not exclusively) when it comes to CCP, so I'll stop now.

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

also, a lot of people look like shit in photos, for various reasons, as opposed to how they look in real life. just sayin. i, for one, was born to be behind the camera.
                                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎