X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by safeword123 View Post
    don't shoot me, but did anyone check out the UU collection? what do you think? i found it to be SO underwhelming, and by that i mean it was mostly crap. men's stuff is slightly better, but really not much.
    the kids stuff has been far and away the highlight in both collections and I think it's really adorable.

The rest is at best an improvement on what are usually very bland uniqlo staples; and at worst, ill-fitting renditions of undercover staples. at any rate, i guess no one was very pleased with it, because the collaboration is over.

I have to say I'm amazed at the complete lack of publicity, relative even to other uniqlo collabs (which are pretty low key to begin with)...
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

Agree with Laika. handled a majority of it, most felt cheap and looked uninteresting. totally underwhelming, as expected. Jun really shot himself in the foot, he could've either done something interesting or not do it at all. Then again "interesting" is perhaps and overstatement when it comes to anything produced by a company like uniqlo.
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Poor Jun :(
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

agreed. I did think he chose lovely colors (as usual) but, for the most part, the cheapness of the fabrics really undermined any little details that would have made the pieces special.

on the bright side, and speaking of color, I've been loving these little documentaries around the fall collection...a nice continuation of the quotidian theme he's been exploring.

go here to watch: http://www.undercoverism.com/psychocolor/
          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• swims
            • Jan 2012

the question i have on my mind now, is what next for undercover?

i know UU was created with the idea of making well designed clothes more accesible, but i'm certain it was all about money. now that it's proven to have been a flop, can Jun simply carry on with season after season aiming to create something entirely new each time? perhaps his strive for something so different for each collection will be his demise.

with things not looking so good financially for UC from afar, things don't seem to be looking good for the label. to be honest, it baffles me as to who is buying new season undercover at retail.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

That is a good question. I'd imagine he will continue to do what he does, just on a smaller scale.

I am thinking that UU wasn't just about money, but more to get the name out.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stadsvandringar
                • Aug 2008

Took a look at the current collection in Japan. Selection was surprisingly small and mainly just t-shirts. There were maybe a couple of pairs of pants and a handful of shirts and jackets. I hate to say it because I really like what Jun has done in the past, but the future for undercover really is not looking good.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

And the future of the search on Yahoo Japan auctions for Undercover looks even worse.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• garbage_queen
                    • Dec 2010

Undercover Store Tokyo

Comment

• kingsolomon
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by garbage_queen View Post
                      Undercover Store Tokyo
                      Please do not repost photos on the same page
                      I saw this when I was in Tokyo. Freaked me out at first, then I thought about the effort required to cut out all those eyes. Either way, I was really impressed by it; didn't even realise it was Undercover at first.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• i-d-g
                          • Sep 2012

can anyone id the season that this was made?

“Man has somehow always feared this search, and I fear it even now. Suppose all man ever does is search for the reason, crosses oceans, sacrifices his life in the search; but to search it out, actually to find it, he’s afraid. For he senses that once he finds it, there will be nothing to search for.”

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Here is a three-part video I recorded in 2009 at Pitti Uomo in Florence, of Jun Takahashi making the Gila doll, with live music by Atsuhiro Ito.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

And, related to the above, I unearthed my long profile on Jun Takahashi. Enjoy.

http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/magaz...r-man-1.296567

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎