Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadboy
    • Jul 2013

I guess one can only keep up with this thread for so long without eventually deciding to give Murakami a try. Reading through Hardboiled Wonderland now, loving it.

Also just finished a hockey player's autobiography, for work. I prefer Murakami.

Comment

• Kœnig
      • Jan 2015

Currently reading Hard Boiled also, I love the quote about sofas.

"There are people who drive luxury cars, but have only second or third rate sofas. I put little trust is such people. An expensive automobile may well be worth it's price, but it's only an expensive automobile. If you have the money, you can buy it, anyone can buy it. Procuring a good sofa on the other hand, requires style and experience and philosophy. It takes money, yes, but you also need a vision of a superior sofa. That sofa among sofas"

Reads like something from SZ

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
        • Apr 2013

I've taken to reading for fun so I breezed through the Mistborn Trilogy by Brian Sanderson and will probably just end up reading the rest of his works asap.
        Originally posted by unwashed
        Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
        Originally posted by Ahimsa
        I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• nomemorial
          • Jan 2013

Been on a cyberpunk kick. Read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and that was a blast, then immediately followed it up with Neuromancer. Neuromancer is so hard to compare anything to. Just constant movement, chaotic and dense and full of character. I love it.

Now reading Kierkegaard's Fear & Trembling -- a pretty hard turn in a different direction.

Comment

• t3hg0suazn
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
            I've taken to reading for fun so I breezed through the Mistborn Trilogy by Brian Sanderson and will probably just end up reading the rest of his works asap.
            I like the Stormlight Archive series much more than Mistborn (a bit more "adult") so I recommend that

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
              • Apr 2013

I have practically committed myself to reading everything he's written and this is on the list as well but I will give it more priority. Thanks

I would say that anyone could enjoy mistborn, but it does do have a little bit of a Disney flair in the way it handles its romance.
              Originally posted by unwashed
              Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
              Originally posted by Ahimsa
              I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• mk85
                • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Monoral View Post
                Notes of a dirty old man by my favorite author Charles Bukowski.
                Read that last year - so so good!!!

Comment

• RK1
                  • May 2013

All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque.
                  Last edited by RK1; 03-16-2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Sufi
                    • Jan 2017

The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat. Probably one of the finest novels in Persian literature. Recommended for those interested in surrealism. Raul Ruiz made a great film on it which is just as good as the novel.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Just finished Love in the Time of Cholera by Marquez. Beautiful and brilliant, and totally not of this world. He surely has a way with language, even in translation. I can only imagine how wonderful it must read in Spanish.

Re-reading A Clockwork Orange for work. Up next, in no particular order:

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (a big gap in my classics)
                      The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
                      The Spectacle of Skill by Robert Hughes
                      and need to go back and finish There Is Too Much to Think About by Saul Bellow

The last two books are collections of essays, which is the writing mode I am beginning to appreciate more and more in our ADD times. I am slowly trying to gear myself to read one essays instead of reading an umpteenth article on Trump. Much more enlightening.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• julian_doe
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        Just finished Love in the Time of Cholera by Marquez. Beautiful and brilliant, and totally not of this world. He surely has a way with language, even in translation. I can only imagine how wonderful it must read in Spanish.

Re-reading A Clockwork Orange for work. Up next, in no particular order:

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (a big gap in my classics)
                        The Handmaiden's Tale by Margaret Atwood
                        The Spectacle of Skill by Robert Hughes
                        and need to go back and finish There Is Too Much to Think About by Saul Bellow

The last two books are collections of essays, which is the writing mode I am beginning to appreciate more and more in our ADD times. I am slowly trying to gear myself to read one essays instead of reading an umpteenth article on Trump. Much more enlightening.
                        That is an incredible book by Marquez, Faust. If I may, allow me to recommend The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor. It has an underlying message about corruption which may interest you.

And yes, it is much better in Spanish, haha.

Comment

• goldsamxo
                          • Jan 2017

One of my favorites, which I've re-read multiple times is called 'Bore Hole' by Joey Mellen. It's about his experience with drugs & than transitioning into trepidation (one of my favorite topics). I learned about Trepidation from the manga 'Homunculus' by Hideo Yamamoto. If you have the chance I highly advise reading 'Bore Hole', it really is quite good & lends a nice vocal presence to a topic that time has seemingly forgotten.
                          Originally Posted by Latoya Sizemore View Post

It would be great if one cane wear little bit loose T-shirts with some great prints like marijuana leaves, cannabis, weeds etc.
                          Most of the youngsters will like to wear fashionable and chill clothing, which give a great looks to youngsters.

Comment

• FollowYourSeams
                            • Apr 2012

"It" by Stephen King. So many flashbacks. It's really testing my patience lol
                            ...my inner voice resounding.............

Comment

• mne
                              • Mar 2016

Just started reading "Intimacy" by Osho. Maybe I will learn a thing or to on how not to be a robot.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Started The Handmaid's Tale early this week, and now this popped up! Worth reading.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎