• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

What are you reading?

I am in a school mode and I had to share my pain of having to read Aristotle's Poetics. Boooooo!!!
    </p>

Also a bunch of short essays by Orwell, which are quite good, especially &quot;Politics and the English Language.&quot; If you ever want to know how to dissect the language of propaganda, it&#39;s a really excellent essay, readily avialable on the internet.
    </p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Re: What are you reading?

Reading Le diable en tete by the sometimes unsufferableBernard-Henry Levy. Some interesting ideas though.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• dontbecruel
      • Sep 2006

On a similar note, Fuuma, I&#39;m reading &quot;Contingency, Irony, Solidarity&quot; by Richard Rorty.It&#39;s the second time I&#39;ve read it through but the first time I&#39;ve understood what he&#39;s talking about, I think.It&#39;s worth making the effort to read it carefully because Rorty&#39;s ideas are motivated by heartfelt disgust at cruelty and injustice.</p>

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;dontbecruel&quot;]

On a similar note, Fuuma, I&#39;m reading &quot;Contingency, Irony, Solidarity&quot; by Richard Rorty.It&#39;s the second time I&#39;ve read it through but the first time I&#39;ve understood what he&#39;s talking about, I think.It&#39;s worth making the effort to read it carefully because Rorty&#39;s ideas are motivated by heartfelt disgust at cruelty and injustice.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Rorty is great. I read the part of the book that deals with irony, he&#39;s really smart.</p>
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
          • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;Faust&quot;]Rorty is great. I read the part of the book that deals with irony, he&#39;s really smart.[/quote]</p>

Not much appreciated in England I don&#39;t think, but his books seem to be very widely read by humanities undergrads in the states. What do you study Faust?</p>

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;Faust&quot;]Rorty is great. I read the part of the book that deals with irony, he&#39;s really smart.[/quote]</p>

Not much appreciated in England I don&#39;t think, but his books seem to be very widely read by humanities undergrads in the states. What do you study Faust?</p>

[/quote]</p>

Yes, he&#39;s a humanities hero, since he basically wrote that best philosophy is found in literature. Philosophy people really hate him for that, lol. He teaches at Stanford now. Strange that he&#39;s not appreciated in England, since he wrote extensively on continental philosophy. Well, come to think of it, maybe not so strange [:P]</p>

I am in process of getting my Master&#39;s in Liberal Studies, concentrating in literature.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
              • Sep 2006

In the UK, philosophy departments teach analytic philosophy and ignore continental thinkerswhile every other humanities department has its students writingquasi-philosophical essays on Foucault and Derrida.I imagine the same is true in the states isn&#39;t it?</p>

I think Rorty is too sceptical about Foucault to be very popular over here. University lecturers in literature love Foucault because he allows them to imagine themselves as political without actually having to get off their arses and be kind to their fellow human beings.</p>

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

In the UK, philosophy departments teach analytic philosophy and ignore continental thinkerswhile every other humanities department has its students writingquasi-philosophical essays on Foucault and Derrida.I imagine the same is true in the states isn&#39;t it?</p>

I think Rorty is too sceptical about Foucault to be very popular over here. University lecturers in literature love Foucault because he allows them to imagine themselves as political without actually having to get off their arses and be kind to their fellow human beings.</p>

[/quote]</p>

It&#39;s hard to comment for me, because I haven&#39;t read Rorty extensively, but I believe you. I should&#39;ve taken Foucault class last semester, but I am too immersed in Lit. What are you studying (or is this reading for pleasure)?
                </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                  • Sep 2006

I did my first degree in English Lit but that was quite a few years ago, so I amreading for pleasure I guess. I&#39;m now back at college studying medicine (9 monthsto go). I think I read things like the Rorty to keep alive my cherished self-image as a cultured person. In reality, of course, my brain is turning to jelly.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Reading some W.E.B. Du Bois. Interesting to see different styles of writing in the same book.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;new_dawn_fades&quot;]

for the third time The wind up bird chronicle - Haruki Murakami

</p>

[/quote]</p>

I did not get through it for some reason. Well, I ran out of time, my semester started, but I also kind of lost interest. I liked the Wild Sheep Chase, and Norwegian Wood, but this one for some reason did not seem as interesting.
                      </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                        • Sep 2006

Anybody read Les bienveillantes by Jonathan Littell, critics have been raving about this so much I guess I&#39;ll have to check it out, just to be able to sustain conversations. I just find stories involving gay nazis (I know I&#39;m reducing a 900 pages book to a cliche, please forgive me :) )so tired since Moravia perfectly summed up the question in The comformist.
                        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Fuuma, I haven&#39;t heard of that book, so I can&#39;t really comment.</p>

I&#39;m reading Othello. Honestly.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                            • Sep 2006

I am crazy about Othello. Look at this... it is one of the most rhythmical, tense bits of writing in English:

Oth. Is he not honest?
                            Iago. Honest, my Lord?
                            Oth. Honest? I, Honest
                            Iago. My Lord, for ought I know
                            Oth. What do&#39;st thou thinke?
                            Iago. Thinke, my Lord?
                            Oth. Thinke, my Lord? Alas, thou ecchos&#39;t me;
                            As if there were some Monster in thy thought
                            Too hideous to be shewne.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;dontbecruel&quot;]I am crazy about Othello. Look at this... it is one of the most rhythmical, tense bits of writing in English:

Oth. Is he not honest?
                              Iago. Honest, my Lord?
                              Oth. Honest? I, Honest
                              Iago. My Lord, for ought I know
                              Oth. What do&#39;st thou thinke?
                              Iago. Thinke, my Lord?
                              Oth. Thinke, my Lord? Alas, thou ecchos&#39;t me;
                              As if there were some Monster in thy thought
                              Too hideous to be shewne.

[/quote]</p>

I did not get to that part yet, but I am enjoying it. I like it how Shakespear is all about characters.
                              </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎