The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Comment

• Macro
        • Apr 2008

Recent reads:

- Yohji Yamamoto, MY DEAR BOMB

- William Gibson, DISTRUST THAT PARTICULAR FLAVOR

Now reading:

- William Burroughs, THE WILD BOYS (a book of the dead)

Next in the queue:

- Celine, JOURNEY TO THE END OF THE NIGHT
        every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• Magic1
          • Jan 2011

how's "Just Kids" by patti smith?

Almost done reading "Ethics and Public Policy: A Philosophical Inquiry" by Jonathan Wolff.

It's an introduction to the intersection of ethics and public policy. For what it is, it's pretty good. The section on drugs was quite bad, but the rest is good. He does a good job explicating arguments for the lay audience.

Comment

• chestercopperpot
            • Oct 2011

I've been reading

A world lit only by fire by William Manchester.

I'm a history nerd

Comment

• galia
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Magic1 View Post
              how's "Just Kids" by patti smith?
              If you take it on her own terms, it's a poetic and touching book. If you distance yourself a little, it's annoyingly naïve and self-agrandizing, but still amusing and at times touching. the writing isn't as good as it thinks it is, but it's still a pleasant read, and there are some funny anecdotes. It's not boring or anything.

I just don't think people should try to be their own hagiographers

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

I liked Just Kids. A sad read though, for sure.
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• lionlimb
                  • Feb 2013

Ibsen / Tanizaki / Eliot
                  not baller

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Edward W. Said -covering Islam
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Atom
                      • Sep 2009

Here's an interesting article that touches both Junichiro Tanizaki and Edward Said. The main point being that In Praise of Shadows can be read in different ways, but at least partly it's a parody of the orientalist/occidentalist discourse of its day.

Comment

• Macro
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by galia View Post
                        If you take it on her own terms, it's a poetic and touching book. If you distance yourself a little, it's annoyingly naïve and self-agrandizing, but still amusing and at times touching. the writing isn't as good as it thinks it is, but it's still a pleasant read, and there are some funny anecdotes. It's not boring or anything.

I just don't think people should try to be their own hagiographers
                        So I take it you're not a fan of Kerouac, either? The Duluoz legend...?

I always enjoy your point of view on things here but you sound conflicted over Patti Smith as an icon... what do you exactly mean by 'distance yourself a little'?
                        I mean, its of course naive... they were, in fact, Just Kids... it's pure intentioned, self-conscious memoria is exactly how you call it, poetic and touching... and for myself, highly emotional and full of love.
                        Not chastising, just curious as to your annoyance with the book...
                        every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• crtk001
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Magic1 View Post
                          crtk, let us know how Violence is when you are done. I'm interested to hear.
                          It's alright. It's a good introductory book to a lot of arguments, topics, and just how Zizek thinks. As they say about him, in Violence really does prove he feels nothing it out of his range to tackle, The Middle-East, Capitalism, masturbation, terrorism, religion, fear of God, Bill Gates, he'll take a go at anything. While his leftist-communist views come out a lot of the time (like a good post-structuralist) he avoids anything thats too strong of a statement and often doubles back on himself a little. The best parts I got from it are the beginning and the end, his critique of types of violence, Subjective, Objective, and Systemic, and the nice anecdote taken from...a book which name is escaping me right now and I do not have Violence on hand...but about passive aggressive political protest.

I am now reading Lost Dimension by Paul Virilio.

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Macro View Post
                            So I take it you're not a fan of Kerouac, either? The Duluoz legend...?

I always enjoy your point of view on things here but you sound conflicted over Patti Smith as an icon... what do you exactly mean by 'distance yourself a little'?
                            I mean, its of course naive... they were, in fact, Just Kids... it's pure intentioned, self-conscious memoria is exactly how you call it, poetic and touching... and for myself, highly emotional and full of love.
                            Not chastising, just curious as to your annoyance with the book...
                            I don't like Kerouac at all, no, sorry

I get what you're saying but she's not a kid now, is she? she should have some insights onto her own experience, there should be some distance with the self she was back then. I don't see that. I see discreet self-agrandizement, and creation of her own mythology. Everyone's a bit of an idiot in their youth, yet she pokes no fun at how seriously she took herself, probably because she still takes herself super seriously to this day. For instance I found her groupie mentality hilarious, but does she aknowledge how ridiculous it was? no. I'm not saying she should be super cynical about everything, and there certainly was beauty in what she went through, but gimme a break.
                            Also, she's not as good an artist and poet as she thinks she is. I wouldn't even call her a poet at all tbh. Songwriter yes, but she's no Rimbaud.
                            There are some interesting things in the book, but it reads like an auto-hagiography. Also I get the feeling I would find her super annoying in real life.

But I still like some of her songs a whole lot

Comment

• lionlimb
                              • Feb 2013

Thanks!
                              not baller

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢