• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: What are you reading?

[quote user="droogist"]

Thanks for being so nice, faust and laika. I'm afraid I haven't had much free time to spend forumizing lately. On top of that, I seem to be going through a protracted period of general disinterest when in comes to fashion (not a cause for alarm or anything, just a phase I've gone through once or twice before - this too shall pass. :P)</p>

[/quote]</p>

It's ok, droogist. Life tries us all. [;)]</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Sounds healthy, droogist. Gives one time to be obsessed with other things. [:P]</p>

</p>
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Seventh
        • Dec 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Awesome reading list. I completely agree about the Koolhaas book--it's brilliant!</p>

Occasional Work and Seven Walks from the Office for Soft Architecture by Lisa Robertson. SO GOOD.
        </p>

</p>

[/quote]
        </p>

Thanks Laika,
        I looked at the Lisa Robertson book on Amazon, seems very interesting, I think I need to pick it up.

My book pile is extremely weird at the moment. At different times I have been dipping into the following:
        Francis Bacon - Deleuze (one of my absolute favorite books about art. I like him so much more as a writer without Guttari)
        Photography in the Thatcher Years - An exhibition from the MoMA from the late 80s (the only published book that I have found to have the work of Graham Smith)
        Dreamtigers - Borges (like the short stories, can't get into the poetry)
        The Handplane Book - Garrett Hack (on... um... handplanes - old woodworking tools - i think i want to become a luddite)
        On the Natural History of Destruction - Sebald (trying to read this slowly as well. He's the best)
        </p>

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

I highly recommend it. Judging from your reading tastes you will love it.</p>

Edit: And also, if you don't have it already, Robert Smithson's Collected Writings. [8-|]
          </p>
          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Seventh
            • Dec 2006

^^^</p>

Know it well! [8-|] Great stuff, I like it more than his artwork actually (although i guess you could say his writing and art was one the same...)
            Do you have a background in architecture?

</p>

Comment

• sbw4224
              • Sep 2006

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

Reading "Crusades through arab eyes" by Amin Maalouf. I was transported to another place and time by "Samarkand" by the same author so I'm looking forward to this.
                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Seventh"]

^^^</p>

Know it well! [8-|] Great stuff, I like it more than his artwork actually (although i guess you could say his writing and art was one the same...)
                  Do you have a background in architecture?

</p>

[/quote]</p>

In architectural theory and history, not in design, unfortunately. It's a big part of my research. Agreed about Smithson, although it is kind of hard to see his works in person. :) </p>

Comment

• kamsky
                    • Jan 2007

'against the day', pynchon. i'm generally a slow reader, so this should be a while, but i'm enjoying it. that said, it's the first novel i've picked up by pynchon, and i'm told it may not be the best place to start.</P>

Comment

• droogist
                      • Sep 2006

^ Let us know how you are getting on. I'm eager and anxious in equal parts about starting it, because it took me like half a year to read Mason &amp; Dixon - there were some parts that had me diving for Wikipedia at quarter-page intervals - and Against the Day looks like it might be similarly demanding... On the other hand, M &amp; D is my favorite Pynchon, and quite possibly my favorite novel, period, so it was well worth it.</p>

I'm inclined to agree with whoever suggested that you start elsewhere with Pynchon (The Crying of Lot 49 is a good place, imo) but I guess if you're enjoying it, it shouldn't make a difference.
                      </p>

Comment

• amit shoham
                        • Nov 2006

"people were always giving her shirts. their own in most cases. she looked good in everything; everything fit. if a shirt was too loose, too big, the context would widen with the material and this became the point, this was the fit. the shirt would sag fetchingly, showing the girl, the sunny tomboy buried in hand-me-down gear. she used to snatch things off hangers in Yonge Street basements, the kind of shapeless stuff men wore north. these were stores with hunting knives in faded scabbards in the window, huge khaki anoraks with fur-lined hoods, and she'd grab apair of twelve-dollar corduroys that became immediately hers, setting off her litheness, the close-skinned physical sense she expressed even sprawled across an armchair, reading. her body had efficient lines that took odd clothing best,the weathered, the shrunken, the dull. people were pleased to see her in their work-shirts, old sweaters. she was not a friend who asked many favors or required of others a steadfastly sympathetic nature. they were flattered, really, whan she took a shirt"</P>

(Don Delillo, "the Names")</P>

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

A Room of One's Own - Virginia Woolf</p>

Sweetnes and Light - Matthew Arnold (might help with the thesis)</p>

Fashion Zeitgeist - Barbara Vinken . Total academic hack - incredibly boring and dry, except when she actually has something to say and her sentences don't sound like, "formalization of formation of appropriation of reappropriation of degradation of corrolation of creation...". Oh, and it also delivers the most scathing blasting of Lagerfeld, which hasn't been done since the times of Faust at tFS - that made me giddy.
                          </p>
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Anonymous
                            • Sep 2006

the curse of lono/ hunter s. thompson and ralph steadman</p>

the peculiar memories of thomas penman/ bruce robinson</p>

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="blackforest"]

the curse of lono/ hunter s. thompson and ralph steadman</p>

the peculiar memories of thomas penman/ bruce robinson</p>

[/quote]</p>

Hah, what a coincidence! My wife gave me the illustrated hardcover as a New Year's present.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="blackforest"]

the curse of lono/ hunter s. thompson and ralph steadman</P>

the peculiar memories of thomas penman/ bruce robinson</P>

[/quote]</P>

Hah, what a coincidence! My wife gave me the illustrated hardcover as a New Year's present.</P>

[/quote]</P>

Great gift. The crazy englishman's illustrations perfectly complement Thompson's frantic prose.</P>

I'm reading "Éloges" by Saint-John Perse and "Theory of religion" by Georges Bataille. I'll probably try to ad a novel or something to the mix as a dual dose of poetry and philosophy tends to make one go crazy if it's not tempered by something else.</P>
                                Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎