X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alesha
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    If you consider The Lady with the Small Dog a good love story, then I guess you should read The Hero of Our Time by Lermontov
    Have you ever read pre revolution The Hero of Our Time? The one with funny Ъ's but its still readable.
    Its a must read if you like Lermontov, mainly becouse I found curious little story there called "Princess Ligovskaya" - which seems to be the origin of the THOT itself but not necessarily connected.

Never seen it in post revolution books.

So really, probably one of best books I read in my life. I really recomend it.

As for what I am reading now:
    A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison. Amusing.
    The Conspiracy of Art by Jean Baudrillard. Not so amusing.
    Originally posted by interest1
    I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
      everybody hates proust.....i know.....im alone again.....but i will not touch kundera or bulgakov.....valium or not......i just can not.....valium does not protect from vomiting.....everybody has so much tolerance......thick skin..
      What? You need some valium, buddy.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Babyshamble View Post
        I did not like that book at all. Was bored 95% of the way through it and could not wait for the end. How did you find it? Good I guess if you want something similar.

Aleks, what do you mean by similar? Subject matter? Writing style? I guess you should read Blood Meridian, but it's a much more complicated book in terms of writing style, much denser and full of archaic language (like the last pages of the Road), and pretty fucking gruesome.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Alesha View Post
          Have you ever read pre revolution The Hero of Our Time? The one with funny Ъ's but its still readable.
          Its a must read if you like Lermontov, mainly becouse I found curious little story there called "Princess Ligovskaya" - which seems to be the origin of the THOT itself but not necessarily connected.

Never seen it in post revolution books.

So really, probably one of best books I read in my life. I really recomend it.

As for what I am reading now:
          A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison. Amusing.
          The Conspiracy of Art by Jean Baudrillard. Not so amusing.
          No. Don't forget where I live - all we get from Mother Russia are the new cheapo editions that get worse in quality and more expensive every year. I bought a Russian translation of Musil's The Man Without Qualities, and it was so terrible that I could not read it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ose
            • Mar 2009

I just got to the end of Crime and Punishment and now I'm just simply exhausted! What a brilliant book..

Comment

• DamageX
              • Dec 2008

I'm a big fan of Philip K. Dick, I just finished reading Lies, Inc and Penultimate Truth. Now I'm going through my Alfred Bester books.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ose View Post
                I just got to the end of Crime and Punishment and now I'm just simply exhausted! What a brilliant book..
                Just don't go robbing bad people. Something just struck me - I am now convinced that the entire philosophical underpinning of The Lord of the Rings is based on Crime and Punishment.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                  • Sep 2006

I'm reading tons of Hard boiled novels right now; mainly by Didier Daeninckx. Well his style is more social criticism/crime than anything else.
                  Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                  http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• mamaboy
                    • Mar 2008

lord of the rings is "based" on wagner tetrology(as proust would call it)
                    ....one of my friends saying that .....how true is it ?....
                    any body for andy wharhol book....i kinda like it....
                    but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Classique
                      • Apr 2008

Mamaboy - Wagner's "Das Rheingold introduces a primeval collection of gods, nymphs, giants, and dwarves who instigate the situations inherited by Wotan's children, the humans Siegmund and Sieglinde, and the Valkyrie, Brünnhilde. It is a brief glimpse of an Edenic world, already beginning to be corrupted by greed and lust for power."

"Never mind. If Warner's staging hasn't followed one route, at least it has opened up a tantalising set of references to navigate by. What follows are just a few paths through the labyrinth. JUST A FAIRYTALE? That argument may have worked for Tolkien when he plundered Wagner to come up with Gandalf, the hobbits and "One ring to rule them all."

Wagner wa influence by the great Medieval, Icelandic sagas and poems. Like "Beowolf."

Comment

• Vanna
                        • May 2008

Reading some literature on Nichiren Buddhism. Someone is trying to convert me. I don't know if I can get down with chanting.
                        Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• mamaboy
                          • Mar 2008

...and baudelaire says: talk to the worm,say to the worm who ll eat yo body with his worm kisses,that i,i , i saved yo beauty ,intact in my verse"...... suonds so much like brodsky to me.."gde eschio razve shto na fotografii ti prebudesh vsegda moloda vesela glumliva ".....i used to love brodsky so much......why not anymore?....not brodsky lover anymore
                          but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

went against sensible advice in the book club thread and picked up Underworld...going through some stuff at the moment and felt I needed a vacation to get lost in something really dense and singular of the reality before my eyes as is...

the prologue 'triumph of death' is one of the most vividly cinematic sequences I've ever encountered. Found myself doing a double take at quite a few sentences.
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Aleks
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post

Aleks, what do you mean by similar? Subject matter? Writing style? I guess you should read Blood Meridian, but it's a much more complicated book in terms of writing style, much denser and full of archaic language (like the last pages of the Road), and pretty fucking gruesome.
                              Subject matter, I got a bit bored of the little boy repeating okay over and over. That sounds right up the alley that I want to get into. Thanks!

Comment

• Fade to Black
                                • Sep 2008

i never got around to finishing blood meridian...visually it was a very complex book to realize when reading, found it pretty taxing on the attention compared to a lot of what I've read. Maybe I'll get back to it some time when I'm in a more focused state, or even make the cardinal sin of going back to read it after I've watched the movie lulz.
                                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎