Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • viv1984viv
    • Feb 2008

AKA - yup thats the one I have sat waiting for me!

On a more fashion related note.... has anyone taken a look at The Measure by Louise Clarke - Published by and for London of College of Fashion.
    Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
      • Jan 2008

The Letters of Herman Melville eds. Davis and Gilman

I love all men who dive. Any fish can swim near the
      surface, but it takes a great whale to go down stairs
      five miles or more ... Thought-divers ... have been
      diving and coming up again with bloodshot eyes since
      the world began.

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
      Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• jamesd
        • Sep 2008

Late to the party, but just finished reading The Road. Even though it's a short book, I think it could have been better shorter. Repetition is part of the style, but there were too many of the same scenes. The writing style (including the repetition in the word choice) was spot on, in my opinion, and definitely the strength of the book -- really makes you feel what they are experiencing. I hope the movie can capture that.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

The monotony is an integral part of it though, just like the stripped down language. This is a world where NOTHING is left. And it makes the climaxes that much better.

We'll see about the film. They've been pushing the release back for a year now. Annoying.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            The monotony is an integral part of it though, just like the stripped down language. This is a world where NOTHING is left. And it makes the climaxes that much better.

We'll see about the film. They've been pushing the release back for a year now. Annoying.
            always a bad sign too
            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• jamesd
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post

Oh, I realize that. For me, though, his use of repetition in language worked better than the use of repetition in story/plot. Just by a little -- however, I do think a lot of books (and most movies) can be shortened for the better.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
                  • Feb 2007

Finally getting around to reading Emma Bovary. Short book - good so far.

Comment

• Oh weh mir
                    • Oct 2008

Not sure if this counts but: Ashley Wood - Popbot collection 2. World War Robot 2 just came out but there's not a lot of reading involved.
                    Originally posted by AVALANCHE
                    is this an example of how not to wear ccp?

Comment

• jamesd
                      • Sep 2008

Has anyone read Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke?

It's almost 800 pages, I'm on page 150, and its . . . meh. I usually stick out books and don't hate it at all -- but it's nothing special so far and I find myself skipping over lines and paragraphs without missing much of anything.

Does it get better?

Comment

• Real Real
                        • Feb 2007

Sorry, meant Madame Bovary. I need to read it in French.

"She didn't know if she regretted having yielded to him or if, on the contrary, she really wanted to dote upon him the more. The humiliation of feeling her own weakness was turning into a rancour dulled by the pleasures of the flesh. It was not affection, it was a perpetual seduction. He was subjugating her. She was almost afraid of him."

Comment

• Real Real
                          • Feb 2007

Geoffrey Wall, it's the penguin classics edition - you think I should stop and switch to the Stegmuller translation? Ok, I will chEck it out.

Comment

• mamaboy
                            • Mar 2008

lovecraft
                            but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• raddy
                              • Oct 2008

the magicians - grossman
                              Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• galia
                                • Jun 2009

I just finished reading "Des anges mineurs" by Antoine Volodine. He was first described to me as the French Cormac McCarthy, and while I can see why, they're still quite different. This book is a series of 49 short "narrates" that basically depict the extinction of humankind, in a shamanistic and post-concentrationary world. It's extremely poetic and desolate, and very very gripping. There are also I felt an Borgesian influence, in the choice of name and the construction of the book itself.

Strongly recomended. I think it was translated, but I don't know the title in English

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎