X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buckwheat
    • Sep 2006

Re: Paul Harnden, Shoemakers

I didn't know that he has a website up. Interesting. Is he really going to show how to make shoes? Didn't someone mention that his shoes don't hold up well?

Here is the pork pie hat - eaten and designed by suzy the dog

Comment

• Buckwheat
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Seventh"]

Thanks Jun,

Do you know when the short was made?

I have been watching "Twin Peaks" lately, and I couldn't help but think "new shoes, new shoes..." when I saw the tape in the shoe! [:$]

To people who own his clothes; is the quality of the construction and materials as good as advertised?

[/quote]

Don't own any, but have handled plenty. I think it is absolutely a matter of personal taste. Personally, I don't really like it - most fabrics are very rough. It really is a peasant aesthetic, all the way through fit and finish. You need to see this in person before buying anything. The shoes are lovely though - I'd like a pair.

[/quote]

I like it because the rough and rawness that they were made :) To me they are like freshly baked by someone, very personal, not polished made, in natural state kind of way. It's hard to describe for me. You have to feel it in person. And of course it's a matter of personal taste.

And I think they are very well made. His cotton is very rough, almost like paper. He uses that mostly for lining I think. When you put the garment on it's like putting through rough paper and making that noise. It's like a soundthat tells you that you have the clothes on now.

I am surprised that Pollyanna is the only store in UK that carries PH. And they are always sold out. Well I guess maybe that's why.

Comment

• Seventh
        • Dec 2006

[quote user="Buckwheat"]

I like it because the rough and rawness that they were made :) To me they are like freshly baked by someone, very personal, not polished made, in natural state kind of way. It's hard to describe for me. You have to feel it in person. And of course it's a matter of personal taste.

And I think they are very well made. His cotton is very rough, almost like paper. He uses that mostly for lining I think. When you put the garment on it's like putting through rough paper and making that noise. It's like a soundthat tells you that you have the clothes on now.

I am surprised that Pollyanna is the only store in UK that carries PH. And they are always sold out. Well I guess maybe that's why.

[/quote]

Thanks Buckwheat and Faust,
        I have seen and handled his clothes at IF, but don't own anything. I agree with how Buckwheat described the rough, unpolished texture of his clothes. They look like they would get better the more they get broken in and worn by age (which is a very attractive concept to me), sorta in the way that denim can be made to age beautifully. But I was wondering if this was really the case or more of how it was marketed. I am glad to hear that they well constructed and made.
        His designs seem to border on historical costumes, but like others have mentioned there are individual pieces that are just great. I love the pants with braces...

Comment

• Buckwheat
          • Sep 2006

They do need some mix and match I think. Otherwise yes it will look costume-y. Keep reminding me those black and white photographs of earlier immigrants.

But you can create some nice favor if you mix them well I think :)

Comment

• Buckwheat
            • Sep 2006

AW 2007 womenswear pics.

Comment

• Buckwheat
              • Sep 2006

Comment

• Buckwheat
                • Sep 2006

I love this skirt.

Comment

• Divo
                  • Mar 2007

Can anybody tell me about the sizing of Paul Harnden jacket / blazers? I have seen a beautiful jacket in size XL and XXL, and I am regularly an Italian 48. Hopefully some of you have got experience with the brand and its garments.

Thank you in advance for your help.

KR

Divo

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

they will be much too big for you. M at the most will be what you need I'm afraid

Comment

• Buckwheat
                      • Sep 2006

Agreed with what Johnny said.

His pants/trousers could be tricky though. Depends on the style and cut, they could be a size too big.

Comment

• Avantster
                        ¤¤¤
                        • Sep 2006

Bumping this thread up.

So I had the chance to try on quite a few pieces of Paul Harnden at L'eclaireur.
                        A tweed mid length blazer/jacket looked surprisingly great with what I was wearing.
                        A thick dark navy linen cardigan with large buttons and three 3d wrinkled pockets felt comfortable and substantial but I couldn't pull the trigger at the price. Feeling a tinge of regret now.

I've done a cursory search, but it seems the only online retailers are Pollyanna, and Yoox.

Does anyone know which other retailers stock this brand?

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

IF also carries them... and I'd like to say Alan Bilzerian. I know they carry Vidalenc so maybe Harnden as well.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

agreed that his blazers and sweaters generally look great. but i find them difficult to pair with non-ph pieces, and i can't rock his pants.

in the us, bilzerian does not carry his line, maxfield does. but i don't think that helps you.

i have a lookbook from a couple of seasons back that i should scan for this thread.

Comment

• Monty76
                              • Sep 2006

That 3D pocket cardigan sounds great, you mind me asking what the price was.

I bought the brown linen jacket that they have on pollyanna, great greatclassic jacket with a very unique fit.

Did they have the silk organza jacket that sold out at pollyanna or any shoes for that matter?

The only other source for paul harnden would be regular searches on yahoo japan - and there was a japanses site called herb mill that stocked them awhile back.. dont know if they still do.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

IF has a substantial PH selection. That's the only stocklist I know.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎