X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

Let's not forget that decay and disintegration is a big part of Poell's work. Pnods invisiripper story remains an isolated case and there's even something in the fact that it wasn't the (invisi)seam that ripped. Yes this stuff is expensive and you want it to last but you're not just purchasing an experimental piece of clothing, you're actually part of the experiment - the experiment only really begins once it's being worn. Wear it every day and you have to fight the tension between your body/the garment until it reaches a symbiosis of sorts and it's going to accept the daily nicks and scars of your existence until it becomes something completely different to how it began.

Aren't people who are wanting to keep his stuff in pristine condition missing the point? Look at it this way and it makes complete sense that he wouldn't want someone buying his shit who's going to wear it just a few times or maybe wears it because it their stylist told them it's fashionable.
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Avantster View Post
      Let's not forget that decay and disintegration is a big part of Poell's work. Pnods invisiripper story remains an isolated case and there's even something in the fact that it wasn't the (invisi)seam that ripped. Yes this stuff is expensive and you want it to last but you're not just purchasing an experimental piece of clothing, you're actually part of the experiment - (a) the experiment only really begins once it's being worn. Wear it every day and you have to fight the tension between your body/the garment until it reaches a symbiosis of sorts and it's going to accept the daily nicks and scars of your existence until it becomes something completely different to how it began.

Aren't people who are wanting to keep his stuff in pristine condition missing the point? Look at it this way and it makes complete sense that (b) he wouldn't want someone buying his shit who's going to wear it just a few times or maybe wears it because it their stylist told them it's fashionable.
      (a) What then would be the original intent/ intended result of the experiment and how would he go about accessing the results that it yields?

(b) I think that at a certain point, maturity as a designer dictates that once you produce the collection and sell it to the stores, then you must be willing to accept the way in which people relate to the clothing., one man might buy a certain garment as it is his desired "Holy Grail" while another might access the same garment only to sell it to a designer resale shop a year and a few wears later.
      Some individuals build a wardrobe according to a specific aesthetic, while others follow every new seasonal trend that comes around. After the creation and sale of the collection, its no longer yours, but the customers' to treat as they choose............... that is sometrhing that all designers must make peace with, even the ones who want to be artists.................
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Merz,
        thanks for the response.........
        My comment regarding "ones who want to be artists" was not speeaking to/ of him specifically, I have known other designers who want to have control over their own work in such a way that it becomes absurd.............Also I by know means am implying that CCP is immature, matter of fact except for his work, I really know very little about him. I am basically giving points to carry on the discussion,
        I have a tremendous amount of respect for his work as it speaks to me in a way that many other lines don't, the only two barriers to me owning many of his stuff is the pricepoints and the fact that much of the clothing he makes is not cut for someone of my body type.
        that being said, I still do believe that the overly controlling efforts are really too much, and will ultimately be a turnoff for some........
        Yes, I have indeed heard about his excellent customer service, something I hope to emulate................
        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Avantster
          ¤¤¤
          • Sep 2006

Thanks for the great post merzbow.

Zamb I guess it's mostly been covered already, but here are a few thoughts. I don't think there's any one particular intended result, that's the beauty of it. People live their lives in a multiplicity of different ways. The experimental methods Poell uses yield unexpected results, that's the nature of object dyed stuff. As merz mentions sometimes they even fail, but he takes it all in stride. As you say the result is really up to the wearer, I guess he'd access that by talking to retailers and simply people that wear his work, considering there's a fair few who have custom orders done.

In a way, it's no longer simply about producing and selling clothes - it's about deeper, more personal ongoing relationship between the designer, garment, and the wearer. For people that put so much of themselves into what they do, it's nice to have others that will take the time and effort to appreciate their work. Hell, I know I've been guilty of buying stuff only to resell it months later, but it's all part of the journey and I like to think I'm slowly discovering what works for me.
          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

Glad we can all get along in the end. I'll admit my initial post was a bit extreme, just thought I'd start some discussion.

Originally posted by merz
            yeah, i kind of got straight up reactionist with my response. anyway, noted.. i don't think he really has any effort to control it, though..or makes any effort. he seems to have feelings on the subject, is not indifferent to it, but thats a matter of personal attitude rather than a business practice. except, i think, he declined to make things for some celebrities because he found the idea absurd.
            music

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

I meant that suiting was the meat and potatoes for Thom Browne not CCP. Sorry I was unclear, in my comparison I meant Browne has his meat and tatties: suits and oxfords CCP has his: boots and leather jackets. Though I suppose this could be said of any designer. My point was, unlike other designers, Browne and CCP's seasonal innovative stuff is mostly inaccessible (price and practicality wise).

Originally posted by merz
              discussion is great, but i'd disagree strongly with your assertion of suiting being ccp's meat and potatoes - that place is likely occupied by footwear. which, by the way, hasn't been any less-innovative or experimental than the rest of his offerings. and with its own storied failsauce explosions.

i still can't get over how such an advanced production line would fuck up the multi-material boots by object-tanning everything together. very costly failsauce.
              music

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

If anything, Poell should be happy with the level of discussion his work produces on this forum.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• snafu
                  • Apr 2008

Avantster your last post is echoing for me, it may sound stupid but that post was is some way almost beautiful.

Comment

• drexl
                    • Sep 2006

New spiral jeans...

Comment

• theaddict
                      • Apr 2008

uhhhh, uga aga uga...grrrr....
                      Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

/\ seriously. amazing. I predict $1500 (being modest here)
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• misterpale
                          • Apr 2008

verdammte scheisse!!

this pant should be 3k?

Comment

• drexl
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            /\ seriously. amazing. I predict $1500 (being modest here)
                            Winnar winnar, chikin dinnar!

1045 Euros to be precise.

Comment

• theaddict
                              • Apr 2008

So the 3k were just rumours?

thank god...

Originally posted by drexl View Post
                              Winnar winnar, chikin dinnar!

1045 Euros to be precise.
                              Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• drexl
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theaddict View Post
                                So the 3k were just rumours?

thank god...
                                That figure was for the trousers, not the jeans, I believe. Keep your suicide smileys on standby.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎