Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick Owens

i thought we could have a thread of all things RICK OWENS

is there already a thread? sorry if there is.

i never knew rick has a site

http://www.owenscorp.com

some cool stuff there

thought id share !

cheers ppl

• xcoldricex
    • Sep 2006

Re: RICK OWENS

wow neither did i! thanks!

Comment

• darkanimal
      • Sep 2006

ditto. That guy shaved his eyebrows off in the DRKSHDW link![:|]! Here are more photos of his store:

Rick Owens store

Comment

• mass
        • Sep 2006

pretty cool website. i'm still waiting to find my first rick owens piece... has anyone seen pics of his paris apartment... it's very "swank". is slab by rick owens? not sure where i might have gotten that impression.

Comment

• xcoldricex
          • Sep 2006

yes slab is also rick owens, i'm not sure why it's not on his site.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="xcoldricex"]yes slab is also rick owens, i'm not sure why it's not on his site.
            [/quote]

Drkshdw replaced Slab as the jeans line. As fare as I'm concerned it's the same stuff, just different name.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

October 5, 2006

Front Row

To the Palais-Royal via California

PARIS

APART from the time years ago when I heard an American tourist ask
              for directions to the Arc de Trump, the strangest conversation I heard
              this week was between a newlywed couple in an elevator. He was whining
              that they had not had time to go shopping. “I guess it’s never what I want to do,” he said.

Paris is a city that makes you lose your mind when it comes to
              spending, and in the last couple of years a bunch of new designer
              stores have opened, remaking stretches of the Rue St.-Honoré in the
              blocks around Colette. There the old Helmut Lang store is being remade into a Miu Miu, and closer to the Louvre, Brooks Brothers opened this week.

Rick Owens, the California-born designer who has not left Paris in
              four years, was surprised by the demand he encountered when he opened
              his first store, in the Jardins du Palais-Royal, in August. (It is on
              Galerie de Valois, opposite Didier Ludot’s vintage store and a new Marc Jacobs store on Galerie de Montpensier.)

“I always thought this place was so hidden away and discreet,” Mr.
              Owens said. “I thought we would go out of business in the first month.
              If I didn’t have Diana Ross land outside in a parachute, I thought, who
              is going to notice?”

Mr. Owens, 44, took over the space from L’Éclaireur, a fashion shop
              that carried his clothes, and within a month he was having trouble
              keeping it full of clothes. On Monday, the morning after his spring
              show, he was stocking the racks with his intricately sliced and sewn
              fall jackets, mixed with furs from his collection for Revillon and
              small square leather handbags.

Upstairs, Mr. Owens has installed his own furniture designs,
              including a canoe-shape settee constructed of unstained wood, a
              cashmere cushion and balls of resin on each end, which sparkle like
              quartz. A small table made of human skulls, snake vertebrae and ostrich
              eggs was his idea of coquille d’oeuf, an old technique of using
              eggshells in surface decoration.

Mr. Owens said that as he has become more at ease in Paris, he has
              accepted his place in its realm of designers, as an outsider working
              inside the classic French boundaries, in his way.

“I’m a California guy interpreting the heritage of French artifice
              in a crude American way,” he said. “Now I kind of feel like I have
              found a little corner where I am comfortable and can do my own thing.”

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kucejoe
                • Sep 2006

I have to thank you for bringing this site to my attention because I discovered that a store in my area now stocks Rick Owens, and thus I got to see his stuff for the first time. I was somewhat pleased, especially with the long thin sleeves that scrunch up beautifully and with the 'organic' look some of it has.

First, in terms of wearability, the Drkshdw line is better, but it seems overpriced for what it was, even though a long sleeve shirt looked cool with the sleeves scrunched up. The main line had some nice items (especially the sweater with the raw, uneven edges), but alot of the stuff, such as a cape and long, wrap sweaters, do not scream practicality for me and I don't see too many guys going after that look in my area. The prices mean that I probably can't even consider most of it even if it reaches sale (I'm curious to see how well it sells here) and I was afraid to look at the price of the leather jacket.

Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

• Kodak
                  • Oct 2006

Does anyone know why he didn't show a men's collection for S/S 2007?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="new_dawn_fades"]

Kodak..

i am also not sure why but He must havehad a private showing to buyers only or something on those lines..

there arent many looks on the website tho.. but they look pretty good..

i like how he used what looks like a very light organdy or voile? on a bomber with tucks, panels etc...

u can even see the tshirt through it.. that seems very interesting.. the kind of design i look forward to seeing..

i think that collection(mailine) on the website is probably one of the best ss07 menswear i have seen..

the double breaasted coat with the inverted pleat on the back...
                    beautiful play on masculine feminine aspects/balance.. etc.

I just love his use of fabrics...amazing feel..

but what ticks me off sometimes is the way its cut...almost as if u have to be over 6'1 (im 5'10-11)

and his tees are soo damn long.. on me at least..

and ofcourse the pricetag :P

im a student sale slut :P

[/quote]

Yea, many of his cuts are ridiculous. I have to say though, there is something about that unapologetic stance, a certain sense of integrity. I don't think he is being elitist the way Balenciaga or Dior Homme are, using super skinny cuts as a marketing gimmick to increase desirability for their product (both houses has let out some inches in their sizing since, sort of opening the flood gates for the hungry consumer) - I think he just does clothes the way he sees it. Rei Kawakubo have always said that she got into designing because she did not see the clothes she wanted to wear, and that shed did everything as if for herself. I sense the same thing with Rick Owens. He is asking of people to share in a certain aesthetic, nothing more - I respect that (it's also one of the reasons I love Ann so much, she seems to have the most integrity as a designer - all she is looking for is for people who share her aesthetic). Most of Rick's clothes are not for me, but I still like them.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Yes, there is something nice to be said about designers that (to a certain extent) design "for themselves" in the sense that they saw a lack of clothes cut for their body type. This ultimately caters to all those with that same body type (Old school Hedi Slimane comes to mind).

As for Rick tees being too long, they're raw edged so you.... can cut them with scissors if you can bring yourself to do that haha. I did it with a couple of my drkshdw tees. Draw a chalk line where you want the new hem to be, take a deep breath, and snip away!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Yes, there is something nice to be said about designers that (to a certain extent) design "for themselves" in the sense that they saw a lack of clothes cut for their body type. This ultimately caters to all those with that same body type (Old school Hedi Slimane comes to mind).

As for Rick tees being too long, they're raw edged so you.... can cut them with scissors if you can bring yourself to do that haha. I did it with a couple of my drkshdw tees. Draw a chalk line where you want the new hem to be, take a deep breath, and snip away!

[/quote]

Amen! If Mr. Altieri produced some tops with the necks meant to be cut out by the wearer, the rest is fair game, hahaha! BTW, how are the Drkshdw tees? Are they also super soft, or am I fine sticking with my Velvetmen at a fraction of the price?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sbw4224
                          • Sep 2006

The length on Rick Owen's pieces is much longer than normal, but I
                          really can appreciate the design and stance towards keeping the
                          image. I tried on a hoodie the other day, and at first I thought
                          it was going to be about two sizes too small, but after pulling it over
                          my head the shoulders ended up fitting perfectly with a very slim but
                          long torso. At 6', I think I was just tall enough to wear
                          it. How tall is Mr. Owens himself? He looks like a tall
                          guy.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="sbw4224"]The length on Rick Owen's pieces is much longer than normal, but I
                            really can appreciate the design and stance towards keeping the
                            image. I tried on a hoodie the other day, and at first I thought
                            it was going to be about two sizes too small, but after pulling it over
                            my head the shoulders ended up fitting perfectly with a very slim but
                            long torso. At 6', I think I was just tall enough to wear
                            it. How tall is Mr. Owens himself? He looks like a tall
                            guy.
                            [/quote]

He looks tall, especially in those 5 inch heels!!! He is crazy built, but of course we know that he feasts on blood of virgins. [:P]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

[/quote]

Amen! If Mr. Altieri produced some tops with the necks meant to be cut out by the wearer, the rest is fair game, hahaha! BTW, how are the Drkshdw tees? Are they also super soft, or am I fine sticking with my Velvetmen at a fraction of the price?

[/quote]

Faust, the drkshdw tees vary. I have one in black that is done in a somewhat rougher (almost a "soft rough linen" feel to it if that makes any sense.

The other one I have (a brown one) is half made of the vintage supersoft fabric and the other half out of a rougher cotton. They are definitely a different feel than his main line. If you've got a good brand for soft tees, stick with it. Especially if they're a fraction of the cost. I only got these two drkshdw tees because I liked the overall design. More often than not, I'm wearing american apparel basic tees hahaha.

::off to check out velvetmen::

do they have a website?

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎