• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jogu View Post
    i went to barneys saturday for brunch and headed downstairs while we waited for our table. the fm rep was like check out the new collab with alber. i read about it months before but paid no attn to it and didnt even care to smell it, but then.... i could not put the card down. i sat down in the chairs at the fred malle station and just kept the card to my nose. its aldehydes alright and its floral but for me the church like incense was a bit more dominant. 2 words i thought were "cold and austere". i didnt find it to be a big white floral type. its the most intriguing perfume ive smelled in quite a while. i didnt love it at 1st spray BUT it was so fascinating that i couldnt stop thinking about it and it very quickly became something i want and the bottle looks awesome. i could happily wear superstitious everday

when i was finally seated at freds i still had the card to my nose. i put it down and the waiter came round and said to me, "i wanted to ask whats on that card" so i let him check it out too. he was like wow which one is this? interestingly, the 2 girls at the front desk didnt like it nor did the female sa
    I smelled it when I interviewed Frederic, and I like it. It's intense for sure, but once it settles, it's nice. But isn't it the case with most FM scents? I find them all overwhelming off the bat and much nicer once they settle.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Law
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      I find them all overwhelming off the bat and much nicer once they settle.
      The best scents are normally like that. It's generally only designer dreck which is "top loaded".
      The equivalent of getting to the chorus within 30 seconds.

Comment

• darkbydesign
        • Sep 2010

^^Agree. That's how a good frag opens and closes close to the skin for 24 hours - if you're lucky.

Carnal Flower is really the only scent on that list which is overbearing (IMO) yet it lasts for like 3 days so that's a nice side effect. It's because I believe it has like 40% tuberose so it's a potent gem and smells like you are shoving your nose in flowers and pulling out with pollen on your face. Pretty cool, in general, though some men would say better for a woman - I think just fine for all.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Law View Post
          The best scents are normally like that. It's generally only designer dreck which is "top loaded".
          The equivalent of getting to the chorus within 30 seconds.
          I like this description! Anything good takes effort, not just on the part of the maker but on that of the end audience.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jogu
            • Jun 2009

i love how carnal flower smells but the times ive worn it i couldnt get into it. my nose gets fatigued by it after a while. i went back to barn barns yesterday and sprayed the fuck outta my sweater with superstitious again . its lying somewhere in my room and i can smell it from my desk. im still loving it. i got more of a soft peach this wearing, like a really soft undertone of it lightly smoothing that dry church incense.
            another perfume i checked out over the weekend that i liked, dior new look 1947. i was at saks goin thru each one of those giant bottles in the dior section and i really liked that one. was sweet, buttery, floral.

Comment

• darkbydesign
              • Sep 2010

^You are making me want to go check out Superstitious more. Obviously I'm a huge Dominique Ropion fan so I will have to go do this today.. "Peaches and dry church incense" sounds like a win coming from him. ;-) **Just realized I live 3 blocks from the FM shop here, so now I'm in serious trouble..... ;-)

Also, I forgot to mention that a super green that I like for spring/summer is Profumum Victrix. It's like a garden of greens in a blender but really works for me and reminds me of a fantasy version of a recently cut field. haha (I know - not selling that concept well, but I love it.)
              Last edited by darkbydesign; 04-07-2017, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Law
                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by jogu View Post
                i love how carnal flower smells but the times ive worn it i couldnt get into it. my nose gets fatigued by it after a while. i went back to barn barns yesterday and sprayed the fuck outta my sweater with superstitious again . its lying somewhere in my room and i can smell it from my desk. im still loving it. i got more of a soft peach this wearing, like a really soft undertone of it lightly smoothing that dry church incense.
                another perfume i checked out over the weekend that i liked, dior new look 1947. i was at saks goin thru each one of those giant bottles in the dior section and i really liked that one. was sweet, buttery, floral.
                I'll give Superstitious a try over the weekend, sounds interesting. The only Ropion creation currently on my to buy list is Portrait of a lady.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                  • Sep 2010

I just bought a bottle of Superstitious because I really enjoyed it! Before you get POAL I have to say that I think Superstitious, The Night, and POAL all have very very similar elements. Obviously Ropion loves rose and floral scents, but each of the 3 are unique in many ways too. POAL is more pure rose, The Night is about 40% the same formula (I'm told) but has a legit elegant dose of Oud since it's a primarily Middle Eastern product (though the NYC shops have it), and Superstitious has a much more complex profile. Definitely give Superstitious a try because I almost didn't buy it because I use POAL a lot and there are similarities. However, I like Superstitious because of the woody addition alongside a touch of patchouli (in a good way), with that peach/jasmine element. Really really solid (and potent) scent. I'm obviously a Ropion fan, but I like this one a ton.

Also, try the new POAL bath lotion. (it's like a soap but creamier) and it sticks nicely to the skin and carries nicely.

Comment

• jogu
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                    I just bought a bottle of Superstitious because I really enjoyed it!
                    its a cool bottle right? whats your take on the fragrance? after i smelled it i started to read about it and i know its supposed to be pretty floral, and it is, but i swear i get more incense out of it. i also agree the late drydown has similar elements from poal

Comment

• darkbydesign
                      • Sep 2010

I agree with your take almost exactly. I personally like it just slightly more than POAL and I really like POAL. Dominique and his obsession with florals makes total sense, but I also like the mysterious opening and wood, incense elements. If you can ever get your hands on The Night, try that too and you'll love it. (it just costs a grip. Like $880 for a 50 mL I think so I stick to POAL and Superstitious now). Also, all 3 of those have this interesting synthetic vibe in the first 60 seconds which I always like but just can't place. It feels more like a technique than a note. Hard to explain but it carries in these three scents and seems like something he's doing in his high end work lately.

And yeah, I like the bottle itself which is a nice new direction for that collaboration. Lately I haven't been too excited about new releases but I really enjoy this one. Thanks for making me get off my ass to go check it out. Also, the Greenwich Ave shop is amazing. A Steven Holl designed boutique and the courtyard in the back is beautiful too.

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

^^Ahh can't wait to try it now, I saw it at Barney's and didn't even bother thinking it would be too feminine (although I do wear Carnal Flower so I'm not afraid of florals). I'll have to give it a sniff!

My most recent Malle fave is En Passant, one that initially didn't catch my attention. It's a pretty straightforward note, but totally unisex and neutral without being boring. Really lovely and understated in a similar vein as L'eau d'Hiver.
                        music

Comment

• darkbydesign
                          • Sep 2010

Knowing how much you liked Carnal, I am pretty certain you'll enjoy Super. I finally realized the note I like in here that differentiates is Vetiver, but in a unique way with rose and incense/woods and jasmine.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I'm also getting more and more into Wolfsbane by Parfums Quartana. It's a very unusual scent, I can't even describe it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bukka
                              • Sep 2011

Just received a few samples, tried the BBS. As much as I agree with people that think it's more floral/fresh than expected, I also got an immediate feeling of "grey" smell, glue or tape,
                              maybe something associated with car repair. I find it very amusing, I'll see how it evolves from now on.
                              Btw, most interesting thread on SZ atm, keep discussing please! Cheers
                              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• darkbydesign
                                • Sep 2010

I liked Wolfsbane too. I originally tried it because it had a ton of notes, of which one listed was "deer tongue". I mean, I'm sure it's the plant, but it originally caught my attention not knowing what that was and thinking maybe it was deer tongue from the animal. haha I also liked the green notes in Digitalis by PQ since I'm a big "green" fragrance fan. Haven't tried too many of the others from that house.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎