Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shifts
    • Jul 2013

jogu: It looks like we felt the same thing about that trio (ok, never tried Blue Cedrat). If my 2 Man runs out soon, I could be looking at buying into the series for a simple easy-to-wear woodsy fragrance, but they sure are on the too polite, too polished, too department store side. But sometimes uncomplicated is what you need.

Comment

• jogu
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
      But sometimes uncomplicated is what you need.
      this is exactly how i been feelin lately . im tired of wearin stuff thats too complex, rich , strange . i want somethin thats pleasant yet still a lil odd and different w/ out being monstrous . i been selling off a good portion of my perfume collection in order to downsize to just a handful of bottles

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

I've found that buying a fragrance that I just "like" is only wasted money. if something doesn't jump out at you initially, don't buy it. this is especially true when only a portion of the scent is appealing (ie - bad topnotes, good drydown).

there are exceptions to the rule, ie. - complicated, grand fragrances that require time to love (L'Heure Bleue for example, in Jogu's case). But if we're talking CDG's latest, I would pass.

Some offbeat suggestions - for cedar, Hermes Caleche Eau Delicate, which I'm always pushing, is stellar. Something light & simple - The Different Company's Osmanthus (or Bergamote...or Le Labo's Bergamote while on the subject).

...just thinking out loud.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Shifts
          • Jul 2013

I agree with both. Simple is not always a bad choice. And simple uncomplicated don't have to be dull, bad or boring. But buying something you find small problems with is a waste of money for sure. I have enough of those purchases behind me. My rule now is only to buy things that wow me, but occasionally I fall into that consumerist trap (in which I would get something from the Blue series).

I'm also downsizing. Trying to finish more bottles than I acquire and it is going quite well: Annick Goutal - Eau d'Hadrien, Thierry Mugler - Cologne, Comme des Garçons - 2, Helmut Lang - Cuiron (my first true fragrance love and the one that got me into this business for real), Guerlain - Eau de Cologne Imperiale are all fragrances I've managed to finish within the last year. About as many more are near empty. Real happy about this.

Comment

• Shifts
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Castor View Post
            If you want a photoreal grapefruit scent--with all the bitter pith get a bottle of Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune. Impressive.
            Edit: Didn't read carefully. Haven't tried that many out of the Aqua Allegoria series. What I'm speaking about below is Hermès - Eau de Mandarine Ambrée:

It was an almost surreal experience feeling such a true to nature grapefruit scent radiating from my wrist. It is definitely my favourite out of the two new launches in the Cologne series. If I didn't think I had enough colognes, it would be a possible purchase.

Comment

• jogu
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
              I've found that buying a fragrance that I just "like" is only wasted money
              this is soooooooo true , i heard frederic malle say somethin similar like , u should only buy a perfume if u really love it , if youre holding somethin and smell it and only like it then dont buy it , put it down , even if its one of his perfumes . unfortunately i do this too often , bought stuff that i genuinely liked but didnt love cos there was somethin that kinda bugged me about it and each time i do that i hardly wear it and it just sits there in my cabinet .

i probably will pass on the blue series altho i do like blue santal , but somethin in the middle stage is mildly annoying , havent figured out what yet . see look at that shit im already thinkin of gettin it when i just typed that i shouldnt unless i love it , which i dont .
              ohhhh btw speakin of lheure bleue , a few days ago i was waitin for the bus and this old lady came by . she was wearin somethin that i was extremely familiar with but i couldnt think of what it was then after a few mins i realized it was lheure bleue . that was the 1st time ive ever smelled it on someone else and i gotta say it DOES smell like old lady . i know all the stereotypes about it bein for grammas and old people but becos i never actually smelled it on someone else i didnt realize how accurate that was . i thought to myself like wow ... im not wearin that ever again , ugh

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

when I read old lady, my ears perk up, because it often just means its been smelled on old ladies and nothing more. I guarantee no one would smell you wearing lhb and think old lady, only a guy wearing something totally different than the other clones.
                i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• endorphinz
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2009

any recommendations from this list. I dig merchant loup but it just doesn't last at all. I believe I sampled a l'artisan ambre and enjoyed it but I'm not sure if it was the extreme.

Comment

• Verdandi
                    • Mar 2012

I've never associated L'heure bleue with "old lady, even though my grandmother wears it. But I may be biased here because L'heure bleue is my personal alpha and omega of perfume. I doubt there will ever be a fragrance I love this much again. If I were to be banned on that hypothetical island and could only take one scent with me this would be it (ok, I might try to sneak in some Iris Silver Mist and Miel de bois but that't it).
                    I really don't know why but to me most fragrances that feature rose evoke "old lady".

Speaking of L'heure bleue: How does it smell in its current formulation? I haven't bought a bottle in years and I doubt I ever will since my accumulation of old bottles will last me until the sun explodes but I am curious if it is really as bad as a lot of people seem to think or if it just more of the usual "reformulations are the work of satan" babbeling.
                    lavender menace

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

It's still recognizable, but not what it once was...what was once elegant is now forced and synthetic.

Comment

• Shifts
                        • Jul 2013

On l'Heure Blue: Is this isolated to the EdT or evident in the EdP and extrait formulations as well? I've only tried it in the EdT so far. Amazing fragrance, I wish I had it actually. Rarely does a name capture the scent so perfectly. Maybe it is just a clever association, but nonetheless impressive.
                        Last edited by Shifts; 08-09-2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• jogu
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                          when I read old lady, my ears perk up, because it often just means its been smelled on old ladies and nothing more. I guarantee no one would smell you wearing lhb and think old lady, only a guy wearing something totally different than the other clones.
                          i hope so but now im not so sure , i actually had a friend once tell me i smelled like old lady but i didnt think anythin of it cos we always shit talk each other . now though after finally seein what its like on someone else and that person happened to be old ... i dunnoooo . im not even kiddin but seein that on her just totally destroyed it for me becos while i was tryin to figure out what it was i was thinkin like " hmmm old ladyish perfume , wtf is it ? i know this " and then it hit me , she was wearin LB . maybe i just need to smell it on someone our age

i have the edp and extrait and wassers modernization of it called lheure de nuit . the extrait is too rich and full imo , the floral spices are alot deeper and richer in the extrait , theyre both very powdery in that old fashioned way , and the orange blossom is a lil bit less dominant in the extrait vs the edp . when ive worn lb its almost always the edp cos i feel like the extrait is suffocating , or lheure de nuit which i almost prefer to both of those . i like them all but itll be a long time before i wear any of it again

Comment

• RK1
                            • May 2013

I would like a new frangrance, as i'm getting tired of the one I currently use (Chanel Bleu) and also, it has become a bit too mainstream for my liking.
                            I'm open for all suggestions actually, it just can't be too weird, I mean it have to be something wearable.
                            I have been lurking this thread and looking at, especially some of the CDG fragrances but also some of Chanels "Les Exclucifs".
                            I guess it's also quite important to mention that i'm only 19 (just turned), so it have to kinda fit my age, just a little, as well.

Hope some of you could throw me some suggestions.

Comment

• Bleu1950
                              • Jan 2013

I am currently using Chanel, CDG and Blaise Mautin for VISVIM. Im really liking that they have this distinct cedarwood smell. i think they are suitable more for mens than other perfumes which smell either too strong (RRL Polo Green bottle come to mind) or 'old style'. like clothing, i find that my preference on perfume has changed dramatically these few years. does anyone else who have this feeling?

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by RK1 View Post
                                I would like a new frangrance, as i'm getting tired of the one I currently use (Chanel Bleu) and also, it has become a bit too mainstream for my liking.
                                I'm open for all suggestions actually, it just can't be too weird, I mean it have to be something wearable.
                                I have been lurking this thread and looking at, especially some of the CDG fragrances but also some of Chanels "Les Exclucifs".
                                I guess it's also quite important to mention that i'm only 19 (just turned), so it have to kinda fit my age, just a little, as well.

Hope some of you could throw me some suggestions.
                                i'm not a perfume buff but there are some real experts here in this thread. so i suggest you re-read this thread first and maybe go try some of the scents mentioned already that sound interesting to you. after that it might be easier for other members to help you.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎