X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flashoflight
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Dorje View Post
    fol, there's no substitute for trying them. I would make a list and order as many samples as you can, luckyscent and most other webshops have good sample programs if you don't have local shops to visit.
    I agree about trying them, but I was hoping to get some recommendations for a few good citrus-y or otherwise just really good ones to help make that list of what I want to try.

Comment

• Dorje
      • Oct 2013

Gotcha, well everyone will have a different list....

Puredistance M and Black... M is citrusy but it's not the star of the show

Xerjoff Kobe... pricey but one of my favorite citrus frags

Frederic Malle... Bigarade Concentree

Also many Hermes colognes such as Eau d'Orange Verte and Varvatos Artisan/ A Black for designer options.

Comment

• flashoflight
        • Sep 2013

Gotcha, well everyone will have a different list....

Puredistance M and Black... M is citrusy but it's not the star of the show

Xerjoff Kobe... pricey but one of my favorite citrus frags

Frederic Malle... Bigarade Concentree

Also many Hermes colognes such as Eau d'Orange Verte and Varvatos Artisan/ A Black for designer options.
        Thanks, I'll put those on my list to try!

Comment

• resolution653
          • Nov 2013

would also be interested for citrus recommendations or what ya guys prefer to wear in warmer weather. plan on ordering a new batch of samples to find a scent for the upcoming warmer months.

one i am looking forward to trying is Cologne by Etat Libre d`Orange

Comment

• Dorje
            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by flashoflight View Post
            Thanks, I'll put those on my list to try!
            I just saw you live in NYC so you will have the opportunity to go to stores to check them out. Do not be afraid to ask for samples from the SA rather than buying on the spot, and do sample a few times before buying if possible. First impressions at the counter are valid, but you need to know what it will do over time as well. Some frags can fade away quickly, or become irritating over time so it's best to test them out and take your time.

resolution, I don't worry about warmer vs colder vs dressed-up vs casual in frags, this is all subjective... it is true frags tend to project more in warm weather so over applying can become a bigger deal. Other than that, I wear what I feel like at anytime. Life is too short not to wear what you want.

Comment

• Law
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by resolution653 View Post
              would also be interested for citrus recommendations or what ya guys prefer to wear in warmer weather. plan on ordering a new batch of samples to find a scent for the upcoming warmer months.

one i am looking forward to trying is Cologne by Etat Libre d`Orange

Xerjoff is the niche house which does citrus extremely well in my opinion. XJ 1861, Kobe and Fiero are a good starting off point, then again if you want something more accessible and mainstream (yet still niche) you may want to try Creed Aventus and Millisime Imperial.

Terre d'Hermes Parfum
              is also a good affordable and readily available option.

Comment

• flashoflight
                • Sep 2013

I just saw you live in NYC so you will have the opportunity to go to stores to check them out. Do not be afraid to ask for samples from the SA rather than buying on the spot, and do sample a few times before buying if possible. First impressions at the counter are valid, but you need to know what it will do over time as well. Some frags can fade away quickly, or become irritating over time so it's best to test them out and take your time.
                Will do, ty. I'll hit Neiman Marcus & Barneys this weekend and see what I can find!

Comment

• casem
                  • Sep 2006

It has nothing to do with citrus, but if you want to find the Damir scent and you are in NYC go to Henri Bendel. On Dane's tip I found they had all the Six Scents series in stock about a year ago (even the discontinued ones). Not sure what's there now but worth a look.

On an unrelated scent note, I've recently fallen in love with Helmut Lang's Cuiron after owning 2 bottles for several years. Ages ago came across a stash at my local Saks outlet (in Ohio of all places!) and not knowing much about it yet bought 2 because I had heard Helmut was a cool dude. All this time I didn't like it much so it's lasted me this long, and now I'm about to finish one of the bottles and I'm totally obsessed with it. It's a fragrance I've had to mature into and now I will cherish my last bottle.

Originally posted by flashoflight View Post
                  What is a good starting point for higher end scents? I don't know much about them but would like to see what is out there. My current bottle is about done and I need to pick up something new.

So far I've been using the usual mall brand stuff. I've enjoyed Eau Fraiche by Versace which is what I currently use and have been using for the past few years. I've also really liked the Jeans Couture by Versace (which they discontinued) and Acqua Di Gio. I've probably just named some of the most despised perfumes on here haha. My tastes are towards the citrus-y based on those I think?

I was interested in smelling some of the Damir Doma stuff, but it seems like that has been discontinued. Anyway, suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance!
                  music

Comment

• Shifts
                    • Jul 2013

Cuiron was the fragrance that got me into this interest to begin with, many years ago.

Comment

• Law
                      • Dec 2013

Yup, Cuiron is a classic, it's an absolute travesty that it was criminally discontinued

Comment

• resolution653
                        • Nov 2013

Dorje; Oh, I agree. I think my tastes have just changed, was into the heavier, darker and more animalic fragrances for quite some time. Find myself wanting something on the other end of the spectrum lately, coincides with the season change.

Law; Thanks, will add Kobe and 1861 samples to cart. Sadly, Creed doesn't offer samples at luckyscent.

I see luckyscent just got in Nu_Be, been wanting to try these for quite some time

Comment

• flashoflight
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                          It has nothing to do with citrus, but if you want to find the Damir scent and you are in NYC go to Henri Bendel. On Dane's tip I found they had all the Six Scents series in stock about a year ago (even the discontinued ones). Not sure what's there now but worth a look.
                          Thanks for the tip. I remember reading a few pages back that you found some of it there, but since that was a year ago I figured they would be out by now. I assume they won't have a tester or anything right? Would be nice to try some out. I think I'll call them this afternoon and see what they say.

Comment

• Law
                            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by resolution653 View Post
                            Dorje; Oh, I agree. I think my tastes have just changed, was into the heavier, darker and more animalic fragrances for quite some time. Find myself wanting something on the other end of the spectrum lately, coincides with the season change.

Law; Thanks, will add Kobe and 1861 samples to cart. Sadly, Creed doesn't offer samples at luckyscent.

I see luckyscent just got in Nu_Be, been wanting to try these for quite some time
                            Great..Not to worry Creed is available at most major department stores.

Comment

• Shucks
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                              On an unrelated scent note, I've recently fallen in love with Helmut Lang's Cuiron after owning 2 bottles for several years. It's a fragrance I've had to mature into and now I will cherish my last bottle.
                              i have part of a 100 ml and a full 50 ml and i'm not looking forward to the day i will have run out...

Comment

• resolution653
                                • Nov 2013

Had a few days with the samples of Xerjoff Kobe/1861 and the Nu_Be sample pack. I'd be perfectly happy to wear either Kobe or 1861 any day of the week, but either didn't make me think "wow" and at those prices for a citrus I'd definitely look into Terre d'Hermes Parfum as a more affordable option for daily, casual wear.

Out of the Nu_Be offerings there are two that I will definitely purchase full bottles of...

1) Oxygen - Upon first sniff I had the thought, "this is the one" like it was a scent I have been searching for but didn't really know it, strangely familiar.

2) Lithium - Similar to Veni by Histoires de Parfums, which I thought about buying a bottle ever since I sampled it over a year ago. Glad I didn't now because Lithium is half the price.

Can check the fragrantica links above for notes and more descriptive reviews, I'm not good at that.

Overall I am pretty impressed with Nu_Be and the price is just right for me. Something for everyone's taste imo. They have a couple citruses that I will save and try out as summer approaches but the two above, without a doubt are full bottle purchases. I must mention one last thing, Mercury is the strangest out of the group, if ever feel like trying something out-there give it a go for fun. The opening has this strange metallic, marine, citrus accord which I'm sure some would find too difficult to tolerate, once it settles after an hour or so it becomes quite wearable. Interesting to say the least.

Thanks for the recommendations. Price is definitely a factor for me, so will have to pass on the Xerjoff and Creeds for right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎