X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eleves
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.
    hahaha love that!
    Originally posted by Faust
    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Vinyl Only View Post

Im not that close yet, still working on it.
      I'll let you know how it goes..
      I really enjoyed reading this, thank you for taking the time.

Originally posted by unwashed
      Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
      Originally posted by Ahimsa
      I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• grapefruitpop
        Banned
        • Jun 2013

Originally posted by YTheLastMan View Post
        Assuming one earns a 'normal' or pseudo-normal wage - I'm talking like...50-60k? I reckon that's average for an educated, non-finance person in their mid 20s.

Do you guys place more importance on this 'hobby' (is that the correct way to frame it?) versus other nominal things such as vacations?

How does the importance of your wardrobe/style compare to saving for retirement or whatever long-term goals you may have?
        Thats way off.

50k is around the average HOUSEHOLD (2+ ppl) income for people in Canada. Then you have dependents, student loans, cc debt, mortgage/rent, etc etc

Like what Faust said, wouldn't say this is a hobby, more part of my life. Takes priority over vacations for sure. Lately, my style has evolved into wearing the same shirt everyday. I do like to change my pants (usually washed blue jeans, skinny black jeans, or leather pant) and I have a couple of really cool belts. Then usually really plain sneakers (converse or vans) or some combat boots or biker boots. Ive gotten closer and closer every year to finding a "uniform" that works for me and that is one of my ultimate goals. Variety is so overrated.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by grapefruitpop View Post
          . Ive gotten closer and closer every year to finding a "uniform" that works for me and that is one of my ultimate goals. Variety is so overrated.
          that's great for you, but that sure as hell doesn't really apply to everyone, I'm actually extremely grateful for the variety of my wardobe and that versatility is exactly what I like about getting dressed for occasions.

I love that if i'm going to somewhere, let's say an event for X brand, that I can wear X brand to X brand's event. It shows my patronage, they are grateful, and I am grateful for their hard work.

and this also applies to a situation of just chilling or if suit/suit-jackets are necessary I can also whip that together.

that (in my humble opinion) kind of mentality is just perpetuating more closed mindedness than the opposite when it comes to shopping and personal style.
          Originally posted by unwashed
          Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
          Originally posted by Ahimsa
          I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

For me it's definitely not shutting down variety - which is impossible because I'm a) a fashion journalist and b) just passionate about fashion and love many things I don't wear.

It's about taking put unnecessary decisions out of my already complex daily life and knowing what works and what I'm comfortable in. We discussed this elsewhere, but maybe some new people missed this

The case for uniforms:

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

Style for me used to be about personal expression of taste and aesthetics and desireability (in my own way, not the "eligible bachelor" sort). Just sort of a sad punk look. But then I hit a point where Rick was weighing out most of my pieces/purchases. I tried to fight it in all sorts of ways, but it was for all the wrong reasons, like worrying about practicality for social situations, being afraid of looking like a fashion victim, fear of being outdated (as most seem to think Rick's best years were 08/09) or being associated with dumb celebrities, wanting to have that styling talent that some people do with multiple labels, feeling that I'm not "truly" expressing my personality by just wearing one label.

But none of that seems to matter anymore, now I'm just a Rick drone.
              bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• t3hg0suazn
                • Jan 2013

Are you happy/satisfied with that? I'm still in the denial stage.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Actually, in a way I can understand that. If fashion per se is not your interest overall but you are looking for something that you feel comfortable in (not physically, but as in "this is me") and don't want to waste time and energy, then this kind of mentality makes sense. I definitely know quite a few people like that.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

It's less a happy/satisfied thing and more of a 'this is irrelevant right now' thing. I've come to realize that my attention is one of the most valuable things I have, and I feel I have a sufficient wardrobe to be me and devote my attention to other things. At this point, that's my living space, and then I'll probably back to music after that. Not about to buy Rick furniture, though, I tap out at wardrobe.

Faust, that's definitely me. Fashion is an interest of mine but not a main interest. I'm a latecomer to fashion, too young to have known Yohji, too ignorant to have known Helmut/Antwerp 6, and too poor to have worn Hedi. I love it all now, but I can't afford it more mental space than hobby (vs passion) this late in my life.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                      It's less a happy/satisfied thing and more of a 'this is irrelevant right now' thing. I've come to realize that my attention is one of the most valuable things I have, and I feel I have a sufficient wardrobe to be me and devote my attention to other things. At this point, that's my living space, and then I'll probably back to music after that. Not about to buy Rick furniture, though, I tap out at wardrobe.

Faust, that's definitely me. Fashion is an interest of mine but not a main interest. I'm a latecomer to fashion, too young to have known Yohji, too ignorant to have known Helmut/Antwerp 6, and too poor to have worn Hedi. I love it all now, but I can't afford it more mental space than hobby (vs passion) this late in my life.
                      That's exactly what I was getting at.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

bump for new members

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• skavant
                          • Sep 2014

Skateboarding influences my life a lot. I have been skating since I was 13. I always wore the same kind of outfit everyday. Every piece I wore was from skate brands.
                          As I grew older, my style evolved since I learned about these "SZ designers." However, I still keep that "streetwear" element in my outfit, and BBS garments are always the best for me. I love his fabric treatments, cuts and details. I'm not gonna lie. I'm totally in love with the way he uses shoelaces as the belts for his pants (just like all the skaters do haha)
                          Last edited by skavant; 08-14-2015, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• Lex1017
                            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by skavant View Post
                            Skateboarding influences my life a lot. I have been skating since I was 13. I always wore the same kind of outfit everyday. Every piece I wore was from skate brands.
                            As I grew older, my style evolved since I learned about these "SZ designers." However, I still keep that "streetwear" element in my outfit, and BBS garments are always the best for me. I love his fabric treatments, cuts and details. I'm not gonna lie. I'm totally in love with the way he uses shoelaces as the belts for his pants (just like all the skaters do haha)
                            Same here been skating for almost 12 years now. Very interesting how skate culture and fashion culture integration is at an all time high right now. From both perspectives the the cross over could seem fake or corny. From my perspective its nice to be able to integrate some pieces from skate brands that are made at a higher quality (and less loud) with pieces external to that world. It's funny seeing people like Gosha cashing in on a look and lifestyle at least 20 years old. Skateboarding is also a very style driven activity which is why I was drawn to clothing. Clothing for me is not necessarily as much about technical wizardry as execution. You can have the craziest, most expensive clothing in the world but if you wear it like a clown you aren't making it work.

Comment

• BrokenBoards
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              bump for new members
                              After reading through this thread and talking to a number of my friends, I feel like the aughts were split a few ways for the people around me with age being the key distinguisher:

1) the Helmut, Cloak, Raf, Ann, etc. glory days
                              2) the euro/denim explosion (Diesel, Energie, G-Star) tempered with their high end counterparts (D&G, DSquared, etc.)
                              3) Hedi-mania!

I definitely fell into the latter two and as my style evolved and as the decade wore on, I pined a very clear brit-rock meets punk silhouette as a result, though my wallet left me on the more contemporary side of it.

Shortly after Hedi punched out was around the time that Rick started to get my attention and while I kept up with Julius, Ann, Damir, and the like for a number of years, it wasn't until the past few years that I've had the finances and sense of identity to really take on a style and wardrobe that is largely composed of Rick, Boris, Plokhov, and Julius peppered with some Slimane basics.
                              Last edited by BrokenBoards; 08-16-2015, 09:49 PM.
                              "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• DudleyGray
                                • Jul 2013

Do you guys shop for who you are or who you would like to be? Like who I am right now I feel is well represented by my current wardrobe, but who I would like to be involves more Soloist. Like maybe my idea of that label is for someone who is an outsider, but very at ease with it or finds comfort and peace in it, vs Rick, where there's a certain amount of aggression and "back off" to the look. But at the same time, I don't want to spread myself too thin across aesthetics.
                                Last edited by DudleyGray; 08-17-2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎