X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bakla
    • Oct 2006

Re: Robert Geller SS08 presentation

[quote user="Faust"]Bakla, if you use imageshack.us, there should be an option there, resize for forums.
    [/quote]

faust, I host on my own site servers, so I do all the Photoshop work myself. I was trying to get them as large as possible to show detail.

For better or worse, I think SZ has the scoop - I might be the first to put up pics anywhere! [H] I'll see about resizing them to fit. The full ones are up on my blog (in my sig)

Comment

• cbdas
      • Oct 2006

Its styled way too much like Topman in my honest opinion(at least one of those looks is displayed on one of their mannequin). I can see individual pieces I like though(the white jacket)

Comment

• Casius
        • Dec 2006

I'm half and half. I really like some of the looks and dispise others, but I guess in a way, that might be a good thing; Something for everyone.

The blazer with contrast detailing on the collar, pockets, and wrist is really nice. The sheer shirts layered underneath look nice and perfect for summer. And the skinny jeans, the nylon coat paired with the highlighter-yellow shorts, and the cream colored, belted jacket all look great.
        What I don't like are the screen printed tees and sweatshirts (too college-esque), the bright yellow jeans, and the use of Vans in every look. Wasn't Geller going to do his own footwear line? I would at least think he could use something more interesting than Vans...But overall I see his line doing very well as he seems to be hitting a wide range of markets and almost bringing them together. It's like hipster meets Cloak.

Oh, and thank you Bakla for treating us with these pics early!
        "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• bakla
          • Oct 2006

You're welcome. There are definite Yes and No items throughout the collection for various people - I think it's part of his backer's marketing strategy to have the tri-fold direction of the line: the dressier, more tailored items that hark back to his Cloak roots, like the jackets and outerwear that SZ members are more likely to prefer; the collegiate tees and sweaters that I personally won't wear; and the 'foundation' pieces like the gauzy tanks (very RO, for less than $100 retail, I think) which I wish I could get my hands on now.

This is one reason the initial delivery at Odin may have underwhelmed people: they're the more casual parts of the collection. As Merz and I are both more excited about the outerwear, I'd be curious to see how others react. Heck, I'm curious to see if the production matches the samples I saw - I really hope so. But it's definitely a more contemporary line with reasonable (although not cheap) pricing, not necessarily high end designer luxe.

Comment

• therapysessions
            • Jul 2007

[quote user="bakla"]

You're welcome. There are definite Yes and No items throughout the collection for various people - I think it's part of his backer's marketing strategy to have the tri-fold direction of the line: the dressier, more tailored items that hark back to his Cloak roots, like the jackets and outerwear that SZ members are more likely to prefer; the collegiate tees and sweaters that I personally won't wear; and the 'foundation' pieces like the gauzy tanks (very RO, for less than $100 retail, I think) which I wish I could get my hands on now.

This is one reason the initial delivery at Odin may have underwhelmed people: they're the more casual parts of the collection. As Merz and I are both more excited about the outerwear, I'd be curious to see how others react. Heck, I'm curious to see if the production matches the samples I saw - I really hope so. But it's definitely a more contemporary line with reasonable (although not cheap) pricing, not necessarily high end designer luxe.

[/quote]

Personally I liked the spring collection much more than fall in terms of overall quality and details in the pieces. It's tricky to understand, especially with this styling (which I still like), but it's certainly one of those lines where you really have to see it on person to appreciate the little details and layerings.

Individually, the pieces can certainly be worn by people of many different styles...those that have an interest in an overall darker aesthetic will be pleased by the pieces that come in shades of purple (a grayish purple), navy and black (including the very nice leather jackets, pants and one of my favorite pieces a dark purple hooded rain/windbreaker.) while the brighter pieces and poppy colors will appeal to the more safer dressers. I hope there will be some good shots of the accessories as well, as they were some of my favorite parts of the collections.

In case you guys are wondering, the collection was based on Roberts roots growing up in the 80s in LA and in Germany. The main inspiration was the artist Joseph Beuys (the collection was called "Beuys don't cry") and la/so cal skate/surf culture...a bit of z-boys lords of dogtown.

Comment

• Casius
              • Dec 2006

From style.com

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

Well after looking at the individual pictures (easier for me to piece it out, visually), I quite like this collection, probably more so than the F/W collection.
                This is definitely a good blend of California cool meets the city but all while not being too over pretentious. There's not too much layering (like we saw in other SS08 collections) and I think it touches on what younger people like to wear during the Spring and Summer months.
                With that said; I don't like all the pieces, some of them just don't speak to me personally. Such as the highlighter-esque yellow pants and shorts, the printed shirts and sweaters, and the use of vans for all the footwear.
                I do however really like the stand up collar blazer, blazer with contrast collar/wrist/pockets, the elongated cardigans, the tan trench coat (fantastic!), the sheer tees which look perfect for Spring/Summer, the nylon coat with white contrast, and the grey skinny jeans. So needless to say, I don't think I will have a problem finding something to buy come Spring.
                I think Geller is only going to keep getting stronger and stronger with each season. But I definitely think this line has the potential to do very well.

Comment

• therapysessions
                  • Jul 2007

Behind the scene shots

Tim Blanks of Style.com in the orange

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

I'm quite shocked at how much this looks like Topman! There are guys all over the place everyday that "design" an outfit of slouchy balck leather, grubby tee shirt, skinny jeans and vans! I know that I'm just picking on one of the outfits, but i do think it's real cheek to send this down a runway

Comment

• casem
                      • Sep 2006

This is really nice! As others have said, there are some misses, but there is a lot of good stuff here. I'm liking the cut of the pants here more than the current collection (reminds me of the cloak greaser cut which I can't get enough of), I wonder if those black pants with the belted jacket are leather or some sort of treated denim, either way it's a nice effect. I'm in love with the super long cardigan and the belted jacket above, I might also see if I can rock those yellow shorts (bright yellow paired with grey is my new favorite color combo).
                      music

Comment

• therapysessions
                        • Jul 2007

[quote user="casem83"]This is really nice! As others have said, there are some misses, but there is a lot of good stuff here. I'm liking the cut of the pants here more than the current collection (reminds me of the cloak greaser cut which I can't get enough of), I wonder if those black pants with the belted jacket are leather or some sort of treated denim, either way it's a nice effect. I'm in love with the super long cardigan and the belted jacket above, I might also see if I can rock those yellow shorts (bright yellow paired with grey is my new favorite color combo).
                        [/quote]

Those pants are washed lambskin. (I think he was wearing the dark purple ones) Leather leather outfit baby! Dangerous!

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

Damn, I'm not a fan of leather because 1) it's expensive 2) I'm a vegetarian (tho a bad one at that with my leather shoes and belts). The pants look amazing though.
                          music

Comment

• bakla
                            • Oct 2006

[quote user="merz"]i might have to .. i might have to chance the leather pants.
                            [/quote]

Me too. I didn't want to try them on on my impromptu visit last week, but... they're the right cut, and I know Robert's pants are cut well for me...!

Comment

• mesh
                              • Dec 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]I'm quite shocked at how much this looks like Topman! There are guys all over the place everyday that "design" an outfit of slouchy balck leather, grubby tee shirt, skinny jeans and vans! I know that I'm just picking on one of the outfits, but i do think it's real cheek to send this down a runway[/quote]

Kind of disappointed as well, seems like an amateur effort overall. It's also somewhat depressing to think that domestically wedon'thave much to offer fashion. The best and only real standoutamerican designer is Ervell in my opinion, nobody really comes close to himhere at least.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="mesh"]

[quote user="Johnny"]I'm quite shocked at how much this looks like Topman! There are guys all over the place everyday that "design" an outfit of slouchy balck leather, grubby tee shirt, skinny jeans and vans! I know that I'm just picking on one of the outfits, but i do think it's real cheek to send this down a runway[/quote]

Kind of disappointed as well, seems like an amateur effort overall. It's also somewhat depressing to think that domestically wedon'thave much to offer fashion. The best and only real standoutamerican designer is Ervell in my opinion, nobody really comes close to himhere at least.

[/quote]

3rd. Don't think Ervell is good either. For Geller, it seems like as soon as he gets away from the Cloak aesthetic, he has nothing to offer.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎