Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jogu
    • Jun 2009

ive never looked at or bought somethin that ive extremely altered . i dont mean like tailoring stuff to fit better , i do that to nearly everything i buy . i dont even mind dyeing something a diffrent color , but i mean like altering something so it drastically changes from the original . i dont see the appeal or point of that . i understand the idea of wantin to make something ur own but someone can do that by wearing a garment and styling it in their own way , some of my favorite people that post in waywt do exactly that .

but im imagining that by altering something to make it their own that person is like slashing things up and adding a sleeve over the crotch area or something crazy like that . still i dont get why someone would drop $ on somethin like a jacket and then change it a drastic way . like why would someone even want the jacket to begin with if they didnt like the way it looked ?
    Last edited by jogu; 10-16-2010, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• BeauIXI
      • Nov 2008

Some good topics here.

Firstly, I would say that any garment off the rack is often intended to be altered to the wearer's proportions, and so altering the amount of fabric around the waist, say, or around the thigh, or along the inseam.

As a retort to the first, I might say that altering the fit of a garment the likes of a LUC piece, or XXX piece, or Carpe piece would degrade the fact that the patterns for those pieces were conceived and created to be exactly the way they are, and so altering that would destroy the creator's conception of his or her garment...

But then, if you alter some detroits by taking in the dart instead of the inseam, or take in some twisted pants along the twisted seam, and not along some newly created, bastardized seam, well, that's in no way really ruining the actual conception of the garment, only altering the tolerances. I would say go for it if you have the capacity to. Your clothing is just that: yours. So make it yours and leave your mark.

At the same time, why not create bastard seams on a garment? Wearing clothing is a dialogue, to a certain extent, between the article and the wearer.
      Originally posted by philip nod
      somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Skye X
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        There is nothing wrong with alterations and other modifications. Nothing wrong with making the clothes your own.

On a side note, I think this whole mentality of "dwarves standing on the shoulders of giants" has got to go, or we won't get anywhere.
        The quote was meant only to say that the alteration of a pre-existing piece can often lead the performer of said act into a further desire to create works of their own. I certainly don't mean to say that artists or designers should follow any set path. As the Dalai Lama said, "Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly."

Comment

• Pontifex
          • Jun 2010

well put BeauIXI.

What about 2nd hand value? That should be a pretty good reason not to alter designer items, no? At least if you are selling items from time to time...
          oh, R'lyeh?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I know this comes into play, but it really is rather silly for this to be one of the primary reasons to buy clothes.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Macro
              • Apr 2008

i buy clothes to wear them until they fall apart. It doesn't matter if the thing cost me $100 or $2000... the cost is irrelevant to me, as value is not something I see as material. I value things that have 'damage' in them over new things, as it sets my object into a broader historical context. It always makes me disappointed to see someone wear clothes so carefully, always seemingly conscious of the financial burden weighing on the shoulder, or fanatical about the implied statement they see communicated by the creator... it creates a distance to the everyday evolution of a surrounding world, a disillusionment of perfection and art that holds a soulless prayer to an article given up by its creator that should be found instead of feared.
              I see clothing choices taking the shape of ones inner consciousness on its own form... if you can agree, then why the financial drape and 'supposed to fit like' shit?
              every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• gaitortrout
                • Sep 2010

I know this comes into play, but it really is rather silly for this to be one of the primary reasons to buy clothes.
                This forum has made me re-think the whole life cycle of a garment, especially when considering the considerable values as 'works of art' that many garments possess. My personal view is that a garment, once purchased and worn is a second skin. You have seen yourself in it in the mirror and the public has seen you in it.

It has become a part of you, and should not be discarded lightly. If it means that much to you make sure it fits you perfectly - alter it if needed; print on it if that's what it takes. The designer is taking himself a little too seriously if he is so concerned about what the consumer does once she acquires a piece.

However, that's one view. The other is not so much about you but about the garment. If it doesn't fit you, it will never be a part of you. You leave it in the store for someone else - You seek out the piece that is right for you, the one that you will allow to speak for you. Once you find it, that piece is worn and cherished and when it's time to move on you find it a good home.

It's this second-hand market that I've seen here. There's nothing like seeing someone in WAYWT pull out an old Helmut Lang, Slimane, or Cloak piece and looking great in it. There are pieces that transcend trends and it's equally valid to wear them your own way (alterations and all) till they fall apart, or to cherish them and give them to someone who will wear it when something else catches your eye.

To complete the metaphor: like art, a garment can be acquired and horded or it can participate in the second-hand market. Sometimes the garments appreciate in value. Sometimes it's foolish to scribble on it with a Sharpie.
                pm me.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                  • Nov 2008

The first is a luxury, though, we should always appreciate that here on SZ.

The second is a harsh and bitter reality, but it's sometimes the only chance some of us get to stroke a LUC scarf or the gnaw on a CCP boot.
                  Originally posted by philip nod
                  somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gaitortrout View Post
                    This forum has made me re-think the whole life cycle of a garment, especially when considering the considerable values as 'works of art' that many garments possess. My personal view is that a garment, once purchased and worn is a second skin. You have seen yourself in it in the mirror and the public has seen you in it.

It has become a part of you, and should not be discarded lightly. If it means that much to you make sure it fits you perfectly - alter it if needed; print on it if that's what it takes. The designer is taking himself a little too seriously if he is so concerned about what the consumer does once she acquires a piece.

However, that's one view. The other is not so much about you but about the garment. If it doesn't fit you, it will never be a part of you. You leave it in the store for someone else - You seek out the piece that is right for you, the one that you will allow to speak for you. Once you find it, that piece is worn and cherished and when it's time to move on you find it a good home.

It's this second-hand market that I've seen here. There's nothing like seeing someone in WAYWT pull out an old Helmut Lang, Slimane, or Cloak piece and looking great in it. There are pieces that transcend trends and it's equally valid to wear them your own way (alterations and all) till they fall apart, or to cherish them and give them to someone who will wear it when something else catches your eye.

To complete the metaphor: like art, a garment can be acquired and horded or it can participate in the second-hand market. Sometimes the garments appreciate in value. Sometimes it's foolish to scribble on it with a Sharpie.
                    CHURCH, motherfuckers!
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gaitortrout
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by BeauIXI View Post
                      The first is a luxury, though, we should always appreciate that here on SZ.

The second is a harsh and bitter reality, but it's sometimes the only chance some of us get to stroke a LUC scarf or the gnaw on a CCP boot.
                      Just be thankful for every drop of blood you get.
                      pm me.

Comment

• jogu
                        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Macro View Post
                        It always makes me disappointed to see someone wear clothes so carefully, always seemingly conscious of the financial burden weighing on the shoulder, or fanatical about the implied statement they see communicated by the creator...
                        im with u on that . if i drop a decent amt of $ on somethin like a jacket ( jackets are usually the more expensive pieces ill buy ) u goddam rite im gonna wear the shit out of it , im also too lazy to be over protective of it but i still try to be somewhat careful like ill hang it up when i get home instead of curling it into a ball and kickin it under my bed . i kno this girl that bought a sweet balenciaga coat and i only saw her wear it like twice durin the whole winter , i was like sup how come u dont wear it ?? shes like im afraid of gettin it dirty ... tha hell ??

Comment

• Pontifex
                          • Jun 2010

I meant as a reason for not altering the original design. An unaltered piece should have a higher 2nd hand value, right? Just as a mint record is worth more than VG.

Personally I'd rather keep the pieces I buy if they fit, but I can definitely see how some might do some closet cleaning selling last seasons pieces to finance a new purchase.
                          oh, R'lyeh?

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ I meant it in the same context as well.

Anyway, today I am going to dye my precious Ann Dem long wool blazer from 2004 and then shorten the sleeves. So, there.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Pontifex
                              • Jun 2010

/\ I meant it in the same context as well.

Anyway, today I am going to dye my precious Ann Dem long wool blazer from 2004 and then shorten the sleeves. So, there.
                              Interesting! Before and after pics please ;)
                              oh, R'lyeh?

Comment

• Liquid
                                • Jul 2009

Well it depends on the scale here. A lot of people invest into a designer because of trust and agreement. If you want to be a tailor you can just buy fabric.

Also messing up something that costs a lot of money is not fun.
                                Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society. -MT

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎