X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leiho
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Liquid View Post
    Well it depends on the scale here. A lot of people invest into a designer because of trust and agreement. If you want to be a tailor you can just buy fabric.

Also messing up something that costs a lot of money is not fun.
    Exactly what i thought.
    (well i'd like if i had enough money§)

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Pontifex View Post
      Interesting! Before and after pics please ;)
      Unfortunately I can offer only the runway pick of "before"
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nictan
        • Jul 2009

with regards to 'retailoring' clothes, i try my best not to do it to stuff that are more expensive. the main reason not being that im concerned about its resale value or anything, but more often than not, retailoring can bring mixed results. and its definitely a risk when doing so. unless it is something minor like taking in the inseam or waist, if the fit is off on me, i'll sell it and move on to something else which would fit better on me.

as for being overly 'protective' and 'careful' with items, i have always had the natural tendency to take good care of my stuff, even when i was way younger. it doesnt have to be anything expensive or precious, but i just like to keep all my stuff in good condition. of course, if it gets damaged inevitably through everyday wear, im perfectly fine with it, but i get irritated when others use/take my stuff and treat it carelessly or even at myself when i get careless sometimes.

Comment

• hurricane08
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by nictan View Post
          with regards to 'retailoring' clothes, i try my best not to do it to stuff that are more expensive. the main reason not being that im concerned about its resale value or anything, but more often than not, retailoring can bring mixed results. and its definitely a risk when doing so. unless it is something minor like taking in the inseam or waist, if the fit is off on me, i'll sell it and move on to something else which would fit better on me.

as for being overly 'protective' and 'careful' with items, i have always had the natural tendency to take good care of my stuff, even when i was way younger. it doesnt have to be anything expensive or precious, but i just like to keep all my stuff in good condition. of course, if it gets damaged inevitably through everyday wear, im perfectly fine with it, but i get irritated when others use/take my stuff and treat it carelessly or even at myself when i get careless sometimes.
          Interesting topic.Don't know if i'm right or wrong on this ,but if retailoring is neccessary ,i'll go for it either we're talking about cheap stuff or something that costs a sallary.If i want to turn it to something else ,then i'll think it twice and go to a professional.I'm not over protective with all the expensive stuff,because i want my apparel to be "alive" ,not just to place a great blazer in my wardrobe and wait for the special occasion or live with the anxiety of getting dirty/damaged.Like a normal house: a bit messy,not everything will be in order everyday ,but you enjoy living in it and adapt it to the measures and to your needs.
          On the other hand, when we're talking about sz pieces of art ,i don't really like that word "once i buy it, it's mine" .It's like paintings,you own them ,but i don't think you have always the right to alter/destroy them ,unless you turn 'em into something really interesting...

Comment

• nictan
            • Jul 2009

like i mentioned, retailoring doesnt always produce the desired results. it might not turn out exactly the way i want it to. thus the hesitation with retailoring. like Beau mentioned. if its a simple job like taking in the darts etc, im perfectly fine with going ahead with it.

but if its something drastic, why not just buy the exact thing intended? unless of course anything close to the desired final product does not exist. which of course would be a whole new topic altogether

Comment

• christianef
              • Feb 2009

true, not only can a tailor or cobbler screw up but im generally reluctant to alter things drastically because i always change my mind. have had things dyed or adjusted perfectly but a month or two later ill get bored of it and wish i had just let it be. things are easy to change but difficult to change back.

Comment

• TarHeart
                • Jun 2009

Interesting topic. Personally, I don't have a problem with altering my clothes. I don't do it by own hands, but I have a good relation with my local tailor. I have even altered a t-shirt once. Haha...

For me, it's about perfection. Or, getting as close to perfection as I can.
                Of course, being a complete perfectionist has never made anyone happy...

Actually, I disagree about a designer's garment not being holy. For me, it's very holy. It's like a piece of art, like a painting. You don't add, or change anything yourself, but you can always switch the frame. This is my opinion.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Yesterday chopped off the sleeves of my BBS coat with a pair of scissors to a shorter length. I am in the proper-sleeve-length mood these days. Taking two more jackets to a tailor...
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Anonymous View Post

turns out, she was a fashion editor, and we got into an interesting conversation on how she's always wondered why people don't experiment with things they buy. are they afraid of a challenge? do they think it's unethical to alter someone else's vision? whatever the case, my reply was simply, "once i buy it, it's mine" if i see a pair of trousers that are a rarity, and they are a size too big, i will take them to a tailor, and pay that extra $20 to make them my size, it's that simple. we talked about fashion, design in general, then we somehow got on the subject of phillip stark, and i had a great story.

i don't like the idea of cutting up a perfectly good $200 shirt

but i do tailor almost everything i have to get a better fit

no matter the designer, rick owens, thomas pink. i sometimes even get my turnbull and asser bespoke shirts tailored if i lose or gain weight
                    ________
                    NIGEL STEPNEY
                    Last edited by PaintedBlack_7; 02-10-2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• gaitortrout
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Yesterday chopped off the sleeves of my BBS coat with a pair of scissors to a shorter length. I am in the proper-sleeve-length mood these days. Taking two more jackets to a tailor...
                      Well, there goes the resale value.

Seriously though, sleeve-length is probably the most often neglected alteration that has the biggest effect on appearance. Would like to see more people consider it. (Unfortunately for me it's a bit trickier to get sleeves lengthened to fit my monkey arms.)
                      pm me.

Comment

• move_ment
                        • Feb 2009

^I agree, it's quite surprising what sleeve length can do to an outfit. but, what about designers that intend on longer arms (ie carol, rick, damir)? I understand instances that ones height would override the designers intentions, though.

Comment

• gaitortrout
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by move_ment View Post
                          but, what about designers that intend on longer arms (ie carol, rick, damir)?
                          Sure there are limitations in place due to body proportions, etc. but I think the the consideration of the designers intentions come into play with any and all alterations.
                          pm me.

Comment

• Raw
                            • Oct 2009

Just took my Devoa coat to have the sleeves and coat length both taken up 2 inches, quite pricey to do though.

Comment

• MoFiya
                              • Sep 2007

^ Please post some before-after pics to show the result! Much obliged... Do you know the tailor? Would be really thrilled if I put such a piece to alteration. Not because of the resale value but of the unknown result...

I've spend a lot of time searching for a pair of cool pants, fitting my budget. Was looking for sth. quite slim like for example the assym. CCP pants bestial has (had?). Ended up buying some RAF pants off yoox. The thigh was perfect but the lower leg and hem wasn't as slim as I'ld like it to be. So I had it altered... Fit is perfect now but I still dont know how to pair this pants so they dont look like a pyjama Didnt wear them until today :-\ Hopefully a new LUC sweater is going to do the thing...
                              I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                              But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• Raw
                                • Oct 2009

Will do. Don't know the tailor personally but I always go there when I need alterations and repairs. Recommended to me by DJI a while ago and havn't tried any other tailor since.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎