X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: Rick Owens menswear S/S 08

Not much of a difference in price between the two. At least from what I've seen.
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]

I think Rick, unlike many designers, doesn't really try to say his collections are based on anything more than just making beautiful clothes. Which is part of the reason I like him, he sticks to his aesthetic and his vision.

His jackets are great (exploder was a standout season I think). His basics are what pays the bills though, which after buying plenty of them, I can see why; I can never get enough of his sheer t-shirts and cotton sweaters. Now I really wanna get that cardigan you picked up from A!

[/quote]

I would take beautiful out of that, at least beautiful in a "pretty" sense. Quite the opposite, Rick strikes me as a guy who is very comfortable with the "ugly."

Word of caution on the nylon jackets - those snaps on them are hardcore and the nylon is very gentle - I wouldn't be surprised if the snaps will easily rip out of them. It happened on my RO jacket with a sturdier fabric than that.

I also don't understand the price discrepancy between nylon and leather in his collections - seems like leather is a far better value...

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

seems like rick is a great combo of classical beauty w draping tops and ugly streetwear, all of which is on the verge of falling apart or ripping at the seams. somehow it doesn't matter.

just to double check, A, barneys, and jeffreys all stock RO in manhattan. anybody else. theres a really great soft lamb leather black jacket in S left at jeffreys and some larger sizes of the bone trench coat that is also a great piece.

btw, its gonna hit 55 today w sun in nyc.[51]

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• ddohnggo
          • Oct 2006

i believe those are the only stockists in nyc.
          Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

so predictably nobody bought one of those wrap jackets?

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

We should keep an eye out on Jeffrey...something tells me they'll get another shipment. And in their initial shipment they had an interesting variety. Hopefully come this summer when the flagship opens we won't need to go on these fox hunts any further...
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Piffen
                • Aug 2007

[quote user="Casius"]Not much of a difference in price between the two. At least from what I've seen.[/quote]

Great, trying to get some planning done.. ^^

[quote user="Faust"]Word of caution on the nylon jackets - those snaps on them are hardcore and the nylon is very gentle - I wouldn't be surprised if the snaps will easily rip out of them. It happened on my RO jacket with a sturdier fabric than that.

I also don't understand the price discrepancy between nylon and leather in his collections - seems like leather is a far better value...

[/quote]

Thanks for the words of caution, something to think about for sure.

Btw, I've been wondering the same thing, about the correlation betweenmaterials and price.. Perhaps Owens just sees a jacket or a design and doesn't care about materials.. A very imaterialistic approach in a sense. Or perhaps he was mistreated as a child and cannot stand giving his creations different value due to some minor factors such as apperance.. Or maybe, just maybe, it's about making money, I just don't know.. Hard to tell.

Comment

• bakla
                  • Oct 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]

seems like rick is a great combo of classical beauty w draping tops and ugly streetwear, all of which is on the verge of falling apart or ripping at the seams. somehow it doesn't matter.

just to double check, A, barneys, and jeffreys all stock RO in manhattan. anybody else. theres a really great soft lamb leather black jacket in S left at jeffreys and some larger sizes of the bone trench coat that is also a great piece.

btw, its gonna hit 55 today w sun in nyc.[51]

[/quote]

It was XL when I saw it yesterday afternoon. Their RO buy was all new from when I last looked, all new meaning 4 pieces, two leather / suede zip jackets and two beige trenches.

Comment

• bakla
                    • Oct 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]so predictably nobody bought one of those wrap jackets?
                    [/quote]

The ones with the diagonal draped sash from one side to one shoulder? Just the main store in Paris, for ?1250 each. I dunno if I can swing that for a Spring jacket.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

I almost forgot...there's also Komakino. To my knowledge they haven't received their order yet. Last season they had several rare pieces...
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• MikeN
                        • Nov 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

I would take beautiful out of that, at least beautiful in a "pretty" sense. Quite the opposite, Rick strikes me as a guy who is very comfortable with the "ugly."

[/quote]

Hmmm, what could possibly give you that idea?

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

dude, you are too funny

Comment

• Casius
                            • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Casius"]

I think Rick, unlike many designers, doesn't really try to say his collections are based on anything more than just making beautiful clothes. Which is part of the reason I like him, he sticks to his aesthetic and his vision.

His jackets are great (exploder was a standout season I think). His basics are what pays the bills though, which after buying plenty of them, I can see why; I can never get enough of his sheer t-shirts and cotton sweaters. Now I really wanna get that cardigan you picked up from A!

[/quote]

Word of caution on the nylon jackets - those snaps on them are hardcore and the nylon is very gentle - I wouldn't be surprised if the snaps will easily rip out of them. It happened on my RO jacket with a sturdier fabric than that.

[/quote]

Trust me, I often wonder about the price of his nylon or cotton jackets when compared to the leathers. The only thing I can guess is that it has to do with it being of similar constructions, duties, and manufacturing. But material to material, leather should cost significantly more, especially the nice leather he uses on his garments. That's why I typically go back to his leather jackets though, because when they hit 50% off or so, they are actually quite a good deal. (relatively speaking)

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• aruva
                              • Dec 2007

According to Diane Pernet, Michelle lamy has started mentoring Gareth Pugh,pictured above...

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

terrifying.
                                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎