X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HWith
    • May 2007

DIY: Dying a pair of cloak felt boots?

I've been looking for a pair of black felt boots sz. 40 for ages, but it has been impossible to find a pair. Now I've stumbled upon a pair of white ones on SUFU, but I don't like the color at all. I was wondering if it would be possible to dye them dark/black and get a decent result? The white part is felt, the brown is leather:

• HWith
    • May 2007

Re: DIY: Dying a pair of cloak felt boots?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Should a cobbler be able to dye and leather and the felt, or just the leather?

Comment

• HWith
      • May 2007

Great, thanks :)

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

[quote user="merz"]both, easily. reason i know is having had suede, leather, fabric (even elasticised fabric) and leather dyed in past experience. If you live in los angeles, i can actually recommend the place that does this affordably and reliably.
        [/quote]

Merz, please PM me. I'd like to not have to pass up on nice leather shoes anymore since black always sells first and I always end up finding brown.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="merz"]both, easily. reason i know is having had suede, leather, fabric (even elasticised fabric) and leather dyed in past experience. If you live in los angeles, i can actually recommend the place that does this affordably and reliably.
          [/quote]

You've had SUEDE dyed? I heard it's impossible. Can you give more details? I want to dye my Margiela jacket.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Hmmm, the dye looks good - it never ran? From what I was told suede is hard to dye because of the texture. Damn...
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="merz"]

Never ran, but i don't know the details aside form the person doing this having been a shoe-maker since his teenage years in 1930's mexico city. he takes falling-apart 100+ year old shoes and somehow makes crackly, dry leather supple and new again.

[/quote]

You need to import this guy to NYC!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DHC
                • Jul 2007

[quote user="merz"]

Never ran, but i don't know the details aside form the person doing this having been a shoe-maker since his teenage years in 1930's mexico city. he takes falling-apart 100+ year old shoes and somehow makes crackly, dry leather supple and new again.

[/quote]

Hey Merz, could you PM me with this guys contact info? I need this guy in my contact list. Sounds like a miracle worker.

Originally posted by Faust
                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• grapist
                  • Sep 2007

I'm actually the one selling those boots. I know of a good place in NYC that will dye boots. Maybe I should try getting all of the pairs I have for sale dyed? [H]

Comment

• gius
                    • Nov 2007

hello, you can order dyes from DharmaTrading
                    They have a page on explanation on which dyes to use for which material
                    Felt and leather come from animals, so you can use acid dye and it will dye both at the same time; but there is such thing as -synthetic- felt
                    There is also a chance the dye will be absorbed into one faster into one material than the other, so one might look darker/intense

It's very fun and easy though, when you're dyeing animal products!

Comment

• tofu
                      • Nov 2007

yeah, i remember seeing these boots at the sale myself. i would have picked them up if the only color they had wasn't white.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

I've used dharmatrading for dyes and for their instructions. Very very good on both counts!

I'm about to use them to dye some multicolor chunky knit silk arm warmers to black. The last time I used them was to dye a couple of Dior Homme shirts back to solid black. Worked out perfectly.

Once you get used to dying fabrics, you'll look at a lot of purchases in a whole new light. Wrong color? Dye that shit!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎