• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Ann Demeulemeester Womens S/S 08 - Paris

In the great StyleZeitgeist tradition, we get to see Ann's collections first [<:o)]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • dontbecruel
    • Sep 2006

Re: Ann Demeulemeester Womens S/S 08 - Paris

Not as hideous as the mens at least... so far.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I like the last batch of looks a lot. I think Ann heard our collective outcry over styling overload - this is much better styled than the mens show (and no Dada crap). Still, I think besides the jackets, it's not a strong collection.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

I'm starting to lose hope...[70]

This looks pretty bad to me. [79] I agree that the styling is good, but the clothes are not exciting any interest in me whatsoever....Usually Ann's collections have a mood that immediately jumps out, but this seems so flat. [72]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

Ok...had a look at the entire collection on vogue.it and, now that I am not delirious with fever, it looks a lot better.

I am really liking the menswear interpretation quite a bit, especially the longer jackets layered over short bottoms.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Casius
                    • Dec 2006

That look on the left is gorgeous!

I'll comment more when I get home.....now back to work... :)
                    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Love these silhouettes [64]

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]That look on the left is gorgeous!

I'll comment more when I get home.....now back to work... :)

[/quote]

I knew you would...you have excellent taste, sir. [51]

Comment

• therapysessions
                          • Jul 2007

I seriously think this is my favorite ann d collection ever. The 20s flapper details, god, love it!

Comment

• Casius
                            • Dec 2006

I have to say, this is really doing it for me as well.

To me this seems like Ann had fun with proportion again. The shorts and skirts are perfect with the longer, drapey tops and the contrast of layered and long on top to short on the bottom is just a perfect blend.
                            The striping in this collection really works too; It's not over the top and it gives the elusion of elongating the female figure in a great way that wasn't apparent to me in her Menswear. Shirts with the elbow frill/cuffing looks a lot better on women than it did the men.
                            I also still can't get over the look on the left that Laika posted, it's just perfect in every way. The coat with upturned satin-esque cuffs with the longer waistcoat underneath paired with shorts....wow.

After looking at this, I dislike Rick Owens new collection so much more.....haha. This is what contrasting striping, perfect proportions, and a real understanding of the female figure look like.

Laika- Thank you. [64] I must say you have fantastic taste as well! I really look forward to reading your insight on this forum.
                            "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Servo2000
                              • Oct 2006

I had picked out four images to comment on before reading the thread and they were the exact four Laika posted.

I don't think this is an incredibly strong collection, but so far aside from Yohji's (my favorite so far) it's the best I've seen from Paris yet. The womenswear really took some of the ideas she was toying with for the "dada" menswear and made it stick. I think one of the reasons that this collection doesn't seem as strong to me is that it seems like the themes / inspiration are either too obvious or too far removed from her usual work. More often than not, her older collections had strong roots in her interests but never strayed so close as to be a "punk" collection or a "mod" collection in general, while this to me seems to be the "1920s" collection and the menswear the "dada" collection, etc... The strongest four to me are the best examples of Ann being Ann with elements of the inspiration perhaps leaking into the work, as opposed to the other way around. It's a subtle difference, but that's what I saw in them.

The introduction of striping into the mix is an interesting visual play, but it doesn't quite do it for me like a really strong, simple Ann look in black / her white. If anything, they pull the eye away from how strong the play on proportion, layering and texture is in the best of looks. The best use of stripes to me is on the most subtle pieces.

It's too late and I'm talking too much.
                              WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎