X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Comme des Garcons S/S 08

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Comme des Garcons S/S 08

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

I saw this yesterday, but I'm already tired or criticizing her.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

Imageshack is being maddeningly slow....I'll have to wait to post the rest. [:(]

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

try tinypic.com
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

Here we go...

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]I saw this yesterday, but I'm already tired or criticizing her.
                    [/quote]

uh-uh--you are not getting off so easily this time! [74] Unless you admit you just don't like Comme des Garcons...have you ever liked a collection, apart from the twisted one? [76]

I find this quite amazing-- a return to form after a rather lackluster fall show. It reminds me of making clothes for rag dolls when I was a kid. [64]

Incredible details and construction...I would wear all of these:

Comment

• Seventh
                      • Dec 2006

I agree that it is a return to form for CDG. The complexity of form, layer and pattern blows Marni et al out of the water. It is a nice contrast between the super young colors and the complex (even slightly formal) designs, I could see people of all ages wearing this (provided of course that they have a little attitude! [75])

Really like these two looks. (and the knotted one [64] that Laika pointed out!)

[quote user="laika"]

[/quote]

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

[quote user="Faust"]I saw this yesterday, but I'm already tired or criticizing her.
                        [/quote]

uh-uh--you are not getting off so easily this time! [74] Unless you admit you just don't like Comme des Garcons...have you ever liked a collection, apart from the twisted one? [76]

I find this quite amazing-- a return to form after a rather lackluster fall show. It reminds me of making clothes for rag dolls when I was a kid. [64]

Incredible details and construction...I would wear all of these.

[/quote]

I used to like CDG, but not for the last couple of years. She just lost it. There would be nothing new in my criticism that you haven't heard, these stupid tutus, jumble of bright colors, silly cutout frilled pants, awkward, unflattering layering, and so on. It's too late for camp, especially for Rei. Camp is dead, boring, passe, blase. I am so tired of people falling over themselves with postmodern (self)deprecation and irony. I want something serious back, and this is why I will take Yohji over Rei any day of the week.

The only thing she has left going is the fabrics and construction, but that's been established a long time ago.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

^Like I said, you only like that one show. [75] And I love that one too--it was all very wearable and cool.

Anyway, I completely disagree that this is campy or ironic. (not
                          even sure how you came to that conclusion?) It's chaotic, yes, but
                          it's not "quoting" anything. Her inspirations were "Clusters,"
                          "Randomness," "Cacophany," and this show is a pure, formal
                          representation of all three...much more modern than post-modern, really.

[quote user="Faust"]

The only thing she has left going is the fabrics and construction, but that's been established a long time ago.

[/quote]

Well, of course. I'm sure Rei would agree with you. (Dress maker, not artist, right? [66]) In that respect, F/W 02 is no different from this, nor is any other CDG show, when you think about it. It's always all about fabrics and construction.

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

A clip from Sarah Mower's review....no irony...[79]

How to make sense of this? Don't try: The madness was the message.
                            "Clusters." "Randomness." "Cacophony." These were the words Kawakubo
                            used to explain her inspiration, and then, of course, it all fell into
                            place as a figurative observation of the state of modern urban
                            consciousness. It was suddenly easy to imagine Kawakubo walking to work
                            in the center of Tokyo, taking off her mental filters and letting in
                            all the noise, clashing color, and fragmentary simultaneous imagery of
                            the city crowd. Doubtless, within all this there are near-sane simple
                            pieces Kawakubo will fill her stores with, and sell, too. But that was
                            not the point the happy-looking crowd left the building
                            discussing?rather it was the fact that, though many may emulate her,
                            there is no one to touch the free-thinking experimentalism Kawakubo can
                            bestow on fashion.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

^Like I said, you only like that one show. [75] And I love that one too--it was all very wearable and cool.

Anyway, I completely disagree that this is campy or ironic. (not
                              even sure how you came to that conclusion?) It's chaotic, yes, but
                              it's not "quoting" anything. Her inspirations were "Clusters,"
                              "Randomness," "Cacophany," and this show is a pure, formal
                              representation of all three...much more modern than post-modern, really.

[quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]

Well, of course. I'm sure Rei would agree with you. (Dress maker, not artist, right? [66]) In that respect, F/W 02 is no different from this, nor is any other CDG show, when you think about it. It's always all about fabrics and construction.

[/quote]

That's not true - I liked some shows before and after that as well. It was cacophony, all right, and looked like it too - in other words, a mess, but not an appealing one.

How I got Rei>camp>irony? Easy, most of her shows lately have been obvious camp. This retained elements of it with loud, playful colors, tutus, etc. I guess there were no obvious reference to something specific (Pink Panther, Rolling Stones, Disney), but I don't think it has be so to be campy. And, camp is ironic, is it not?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎