• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Yohji Yamamoto Mens FW08 - Paris

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Yohji Yamamoto Mens FW08-09 - Paris

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

The coats are amazing.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• diamonds
        • Dec 2006

First look through and nothing really caught (though nothing was particularly bad) my eye until these coats... Love them to death, too bad I'm a little 'un or else I'd rock that to death.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
          • Jan 2008

[quote user="wire.artist"]

Thanks faust! it's 2.16 am here and I should be sleeping but I couldn't wait haha

The coats are awesome!, and the high waisted trousers too, both in my wishlist from now

[/quote]

Just my sentiment! The coats are beautifully cut ... much better than last fall/winter.

I will also look forward to see those high waisted trousers in person! [64]

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
          Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• matthewhk
            • Jan 2007

nothing really new here, standard Yohji fare. But it works for what it is.

Comment

• the breaks
              • Sep 2007

This looks like something pretty much any designer would come out with if they were told to design a Yohji-esque line. That said, I like it :)
              Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• desultory
                • Aug 2007

Hmmm. Slightly over-evening-ish for me but then my wife and I are wearing our TV slippers tonight. Where would you wear these particular concoctions? She's either down to the 7/11 for milk or it's me to the Tabac for our Peter Stuyvesants. Must get out more, Yohji.

Comment

• Casius
                  • Dec 2006

This is just okay for me. I really don't like how he distorted the torso/hip area on some of the coats as it doesn't look flattering at all, even on those skinny models; Makes them look huge in the waist and hips.

The trousers seem almost too baggy this time around, they look like they all gather at the bottom and not just flow like they did in his Spring collection.

All in all, there's some amazing pieces in there, like the trench coat that zips off at the chest and some of the other split coats but I'm not exactly wowed by this like I have been by his work in the past.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• matthewhk
                    • Jan 2007

hmm...to be honest i'm a bit surprised by the lukewarm reviews this collection seems to be getting on here. I think it's his best collection in quite a while; i thought s/s 08 was it but upon closer inspection it seems to be a bit of a purgatory of sorts...by that, i mean what HK writer Wyman Wong said about Yohji's collections...it's usually several seasons of 'mehhh...same ol'" punctuated by occasional seasons of OOMPH. And I think this season has that to it, just like S/S 05 had that to it. The middle section didn't do much for me, but the opener and closing sections are as good as he gets, IMO.

Re: Casius' comment on the pants being too baggy...well, this may not make sense but those pants to me look like the clothing equivalent of Jack Nicholson's performance in The Departed. Which is at this moment probably the best compliment i can give to anything style related...

A little off topic, but Yohji did the best leather shirt I've seen since C Diems this past winter season. It was a crushed, smoky brown paper thin leather shirt with a raw feeling linen/cotton blend lining the inside, it was quite a sight and not what i would've expected from YY at all.

Comment

• matthewhk
                      • Jan 2007

[quote user="desultory"] Where would you wear these particular concoctions? [/quote]

Bah! This stuff looks like what i would wear to a university lecture or well, precisely what you said: to go down and get milk and cigarettes! ;)

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="matthewhk"]

hmm...to be honest i'm a bit surprised by the lukewarm reviews this collection seems to be getting on here. I think it's his best collection in quite a while; i thought s/s 08 was it but upon closer inspection it seems to be a bit of a purgatory of sorts...by that, i mean what HK writer Wyman Wong said about Yohji's collections...it's usually several seasons of 'mehhh...same ol'" punctuated by occasional seasons of OOMPH. And I think this season has that to it, just like S/S 05 had that to it. The middle section didn't do much for me, but the opener and closing sections are as good as he gets, IMO.

Re: Casius' comment on the pants being too baggy...well, this may not make sense but those pants to me look like the clothing equivalent of Jack Nicholson's performance in The Departed. Which is at this moment probably the best compliment i can give to anything style related...

A little off topic, but Yohji did the best leather shirt I've seen since C Diems this past winter season. It was a crushed, smoky brown paper thin leather shirt with a raw feeling linen/cotton blend lining the inside, it was quite a sight and not what i would've expected from YY at all.

[/quote]

Bathe her and bring her to me.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matthewhk
                          • Jan 2007

hehe...the shirt was cut ridiculously tight though. there was one size left, it was a 2 I think and i don't think my mom would've been able to fit into it, let alone any grown man. What a shame...but then again, i think that's the only cut that the shirt would've worked in. I think a little more generous sizing (maybe a 4) would've been OK for the average man, Jude Law perhaps.

Comment

• Avantster
                            ¤¤¤
                            • Sep 2006

I think this is a very solid collection for Yohji.

My knee jerk reaction to the first few pictures with shrunken wool
                            blazers layered with tartan was CdG. But once I saw the cutaway coats
                            it became unmistakably Yohji.

I
                            also think it's one of his better F/W collections in recent years. No
                            distracting prints this time around, just straight forward flowing
                            silhouettes, masculine double breasted coats, a splash of tartan,
                            interrupted by some terrible neon crushed velvet, to be finished off in
                            a crescendo of architectural drapery.

[quote user="matthewhk"]

hmm...to
                            be honest i'm a bit surprised by the lukewarm reviews this collection
                            seems to be getting on here. I think it's his best collection in quite
                            a while; i thought s/s 08 was it but upon closer inspection it seems to
                            be a bit of a purgatory of sorts...by that, i mean what HK writer Wyman
                            Wong said about Yohji's collections...it's usually several seasons of
                            'mehhh...same ol'" punctuated by occasional seasons of OOMPH. And I
                            think this season has that to it, just like S/S 05 had that to it. The
                            middle section didn't do much for me, but the opener and closing
                            sections are as good as he gets, IMO.

Re: Casius' comment on the
                            pants being too baggy...well, this may not make sense but those pants
                            to me look like the clothing equivalent of Jack Nicholson's performance
                            in The Departed. Which is at this moment probably the best compliment i
                            can give to anything style related...

A little off topic,
                            but Yohji did the best leather shirt I've seen since C Diems this past
                            winter season. It was a crushed, smoky brown paper thin leather shirt
                            with a raw feeling linen/cotton blend lining the inside, it was quite a
                            sight and not what i would've expected from YY at all.

[/quote]

Good point there Matthew, and for most of it, I agree. Interestingly enough S/S 05 also had tartan in it.

And on that lovely sounding little off topic - where, and how
                            much!? I'd love to see it. It *could* damn well fit me too..

I also had to add this look that I loved. The contrast piping, asymmetry and crushed fabric reminded me of Ann D, in a good way.

I'm wondering - is this a double layered coat or is it two coats?

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

the man looks awesome in his clothes. i want him to be my grandpa (not that I don't live my real grandpa, of course).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎