X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Re: Yohji Yamamoto Mens FW08-09 - Paris

There's always a collection where the only thing I can say is that I'll reserve my judgment until I give it more thought, last season was the magnificent Raf collection and this season its Yohji. I can see some CdG influence, which is surprising considering they've always walked parallel but always untouching roads. Baggy pants are really on my mind thse days (as far as fashion goes) and Yohji definitely delivers in that sense.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

Thought I would bump this.

This still isn't the most inspiring collection from Yohji (at least, to me) but after seeing the Y's collection, I can see how the two meld with each other.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• matthewhk
        • Jan 2007

definitely Yohji's most aggressive and masculinecollection in quite a while, looks like he took that militant theme and decided to let it rip with the darker side...if S/S 08 is the part in a John Woo movie where someone is releasing doves from his hands, then this is the subsequent shoot out. Atelier should have no problem with buying this (or maybe too much of a problem, what to pick!)

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

[quote user="matthewhk"]

definitely Yohji's most aggressive and masculine collection in quite a while, looks like he took that militant theme and decided to let it rip with the darker side...if S/S 08 is the part in a John Woo movie where someone is releasing doves from his hands, then this is the subsequent shoot out. Atelier should have no problem with buying this (or maybe too much of a problem, what to pick!)

[/quote]

I just thought this was funny seeing as some of the coats almost look like they've been torn in the front. ;)

I agree, this collection seems to be exuding more work on proportion too. The jackets big and flared, the pants extra wide and relaxed, and the big use of plaid. Yohji does a great job of doing similar things in each collection but tweaking them enough to make them seem new or different.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Real Real
            • Feb 2007

I thought this collection was pretty successful at creating its own world...probably my favorite of all of the collections this fall.

The big double-breasted tweed jacket (first picture in the first post) is one of the only items this Fall that I'm particularly looking forward to checking out. With Yohji doing tweed/plaid, I can imagine that there'll end up being a number of other YY/Ys items I'll end up wanting.

Comment

• orphée
              • Apr 2008

Just cool elegance. Yohji really surprises me; I'm not really a fan of baggy coats and tops, but whenever I try on his pour homme line, it all seems to work -- sometimes I even size up (which I rarely do otherwise). In my opinion he's definitely a designer whose clothes must be carefully tried on and reflected upon before purchasing (unlike the clothes of some other designers which I can get away with ordering online sometimes). I always feel he wants his clients to take their time. Impressive season, in my book.

Comment

• matthewhk
                • Jan 2007

yeah but the beauty is once you understand it all clicks

yohji is the one designer who, when i shop for his clothes i just throw em on and no matter what it ends up working. for me its the designer whose work takes the least amount of thought to wear

Comment

• matthewhk
                  • Jan 2007

at the same time i feel a lot of people don't understand yohji in that way...it's like lookin from the outside you can't understand it but from the inside lookin out you can't explain it. definitely don't think his clothes are meant to be as analytical as many make it to be. they're clothes for living.

Comment

• matthewhk
                    • Jan 2007

yeah its a good feeling, that kind of rumpled but natural nonchalance that comes about with wearing it. i also love the idea of easy movement

Comment

• orphée
                      • Apr 2008

[quote user="wire.artist"]

Real clothes, like that coat that saves your life during winter (Notebook....)

I agree that his work is much less complicated that critics think, It's all about a private experience.

A while back I thought walking with your hands in the pockets was kind of weird. Nowadays I find it so natural, this clothes make you be peaceful, you can keep your hands resting in you pockects, you don't need them for protect you. I see life in a much more relaxed way since I wear his clothes.

[/quote]

I guess that's what I was getting at when I said I always need to take my time when purchasing Yohji-wear. It all looks amazing (as an item) when I try it on, but since I have to make a choice (unfortunately don't have the funds to buy it all) it does take me more time, as it somehow gets down to a more personal level, rather than buying something just to make a statement. And since I normally don't go for the baggy look, finding the right piece of clothing from him require more of a long think....at least from me. Or let me put it this way: he makes me want to think more about what I wear, whereas from other designers I'm often content just to throw it on and that's that....I guess it's personal and he just fits my sense of being better than others (or at least what I perceive to be the relationship between his style and my sense of being....)

Comment

• Avantster
                        ¤¤¤
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Avantster"]

[/quote]

I am smitten with A's picture of this coat in black on black.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• matthewhk
                          • Jan 2007

jesus that look is incredible

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I like the one you posted better, Avantster! I really love contrasts.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
                              ¤¤¤
                              • Sep 2006

Really? I usually do too, but the black version really speaks to me. And it'd be easier for me to get away with wearing it to work [86]

Ahh, now if I could find that runway video of this exact look and the guy unwrapping the attached 'scarf' on the coat...

edit: found it @ 0:40.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

yes, that's true. the white scarf may be a bit much in certain situations. he should've done white contrast, but black scarf!
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎