• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Re: Julius F/W 08.09

[quote user="arny068"]

i'm not even sure if Tatsuro knows what he is talking about and if so, with what sources? CNN? BBC? http://www.anti-cnn.com/

[/quote]

if china would let media cover anything therethen maybe theyre would be less errors. and regardless of some flaws in information (I'm sure that shitty propaganda site is justfucking A+++ in terms of credibility), everything there is nothandled righteously.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="mike lowrey"][quote user="arny068"]

i'm not even sure if Tatsuro knows what he is talking about and if so, with what sources? CNN? BBC? http://www.anti-cnn.com/

[/quote]

if china would let media cover anything therethen maybe theyre would be less errors. and regardless of some flaws in information (I'm sure that shitty propaganda site is justfucking A+++ in terms of credibility), everything there is nothandled righteously.

[/quote]

exactly.

on topic - not crazy about these looks - seems a bit overloaded, and therefore pretentious.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
        • Aug 2007

yeah i dont really like any of those looks either. as others have mentioned Julius always comes through with some cool individual pieces but the way they style it makes it come off kind of pathetic and weak. ive never really been able to get into it. i dont know it just doesnt have the same charm as some of the other dark brands.

Comment

• Jon
          • Apr 2008

[quote user="voltaire's anti-defamation league"]yeah i dont really like any of those looks either. as others have mentioned Julius always comes through with some cool individual pieces but the way they style it makes it come off kind of pathetic and weak. ive never really been able to get into it. i dont know it just doesnt have the same charm as some of the other dark brands.
          [/quote]

I agree with the way you feel about a lot of their styling, and although their image isn't necessarilysomething I really am into, I find myself really impressed by some of their individual pieces. Many I find to be amongst the most appealing in the store right now.

Originally posted by merz
          perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• Jon
            • Apr 2008

[quote user="Jon"]

[quote user="voltaire's anti-defamation league"]yeah i dont really like any of those looks either. as others have mentioned Julius always comes through with some cool individual pieces but the way they style it makes it come off kind of pathetic and weak. ive never really been able to get into it. i dont know it just doesnt have the same charm as some of the other dark brands.
            [/quote]

I agree with the way you feel about a lot of their styling. Their image isn't necessarilysomething I really am into butI am really impressed by some of their individual pieces.Many Ifind to be amongst the most appealing in the store right now.

[/quote]
            perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• matthewhk
              • Jan 2007

[/quote]

well i always saw yurius as a more affordable alternative to Rick Owens, nothing more nothing less...as far as the individual pieces go anyway.

Comment

• Jon
                • Apr 2008

I don't feel it's that much more affordable... I find that they may be our most expensive Japanese brand in the store. Quality-wise it's comparable, if not better than some pieces coming out of Olmar & Mirta, and they're only just breaking into the foreign (non-Japanese) market. A LOT of shops decided to pick up their F/W 08-09.

Comment

• aruva
                  • Dec 2007

[quote user="mike lowrey"][quote user="arny068"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

/\ In complete agreement.

Comment

• diamonds
                    • Dec 2006

[quote user="Jon"]I don't feel it's that much more affordable... I find that they may be our most expensive Japanese brand in the store. Quality-wise it's comparable, if not better than some pieces coming out of Olmar & Mirta, and they're only just breaking into the foreign (non-Japanese) market. A LOT of shops decided to pick up their F/W 08-09.[/quote]

It is definitely more affordable in japan (proxy fees included). Or at least it has been in past seasons, I haven't paid much attention to price this season though.

Comment

• matthewhk
                      • Jan 2007

yep i was referring to Japanese prices. Rick Owens any way you slice it is an expensive pie.

and don't mean to continue the off topic tangent: but re-chinese/tibet coverage, it's gonna be a tough one...you guys know how image conscious China is and still in many ways unwilling to be accepting of change. It's gotten better in the past few years though...

Comment

• winQ
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2006

julius leather quality completely stomps any ro leather.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

the quality seemed nice, too bad they're a tiny bit small for me :P

for those interested, I checked out the store in tokyo a couple of weeks ago.. I was wandering around Daikanyama at night in the rain, coming from the Attachment stores. I had a pretty clear idea of the location, but when I was there all I found were some apartments and one very small shopping arcade with an antiques shop and a drycleaners I think. I moved along, only to turn back after a block. I was at the open shopping plaza again, none of the signs had anything about Julius. I got out of the rain and noticed a set of stairs that went to the second floor. I think there were two stores, out of which one was the Julius flagship, completely unmarked on the outside. the inside was all concrete, dimly lit, with odd rainforest sounds playing in the background with some very quiet music/humming. they had almost the entire s/s lineup apart from some accesories and bags, plus a few clothing items probably. tried on a few things to re-discover thatI can't fit into most of it [85]

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Jotsko
                            • Feb 2008

[quote user="andrewislasorad"]

...getting back on track

I am looking forward to seeing better pictures of this collection, and more of it!

On the Rick Owens v. Julius note - I believe the two designers are doing very different things. I think any overlap is not seen as 'copying' as both are conveying different messages. Rick seems to be more fascinated by extremes, often playing with volume and proportion. Julius plays up the post apocalyptic, exploring more into a dark underworld of subcultures it seems. I don't think you can discount what Julius does as purely ripping Rick. I think their work stands on its own, not playing into any particular cultural influence like many Japanese designers. When I think of a piece that they 'overlap' in, like the button-less cardigans they both produce, I do not see them in the same contexts. Look at how it is worn in the RO Fall 06 Mens show and compare it to the ultra drapey doomsday collections of Julius. Just not the same thing.

...I love what both designers are producing and will continue to buy from both.

[/quote]

EXACTLY. That's been on the tip of my tongue for a while. I really was never able to identify the style with a look. Post-modern, Julius is somewhat too classical for it. I wouldn't even consider it futuristic goth, as that tends to give the connotation of cyberpunk, pleather, PVC,etc. Post-apocalyptic, dark underworld, I've really tried to find those words for a while and theydefinately fit; brooding and largely classical world clothing with an end-of-all-nations twist. The future without the constructive technological materializations, sure.

Croatan, would you mind telling where the images from FW08 are from?

майка жали чак до гроба

Comment

• dji
                              • Feb 2008

[quote user="Jotsko"]

Croatan, would you mind telling where the images from FW08 are from?

[/quote]

I'd love to see some more high quality images from FW08 as well if they are available.

Comment

• croatoan
                                • Jul 2007

I took the pictures directly off the lookbook CDR thing. I will try and get some other pictures up sometime soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎