X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

Cleaning

i'm gonna start hand washing most of my clothes, first off carpe, MA+, CCP, and RO shirts and was wondering if anyone had basic suggestions for handwashing. i don't think there's a forum on this here, so it would be a great reference tool as well.
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: Cleaning

P nizzle dizzle,

For handwashing I've always done it in the sink, just taking care not to pull or stretch the fabric too much. I let the sink fill up and add the detergent as the water fills so that it foams up, soak the clothes (at most 2 shirts at a time of the same color) and just kind of swish them around in the water. It lets the soap get in and do its work without any excessive action on the fabrics itself (esp. Rick tees etc.). I take the shirts out as a lump and squeeze the water out and rinse a few times in the same way as washing just sans detergent.

Some people use drying racks but I find that the bars let the fabric dry unevenly (you get those stretch lines since part of the heavy wet fabric is supported and other parts arent). I dry tees and pants flat on towels laid on the ground or tables and for dress shirts I wring them out and dry them on coathangers since they're more resistant to stretching. The good thing about drying flat on towels is that it gives you the opportunity to gently shape the shirts back into their appropriate shape.

I kinda let the dirty clothes build up and then do a ton all at once so my apt looks like some housemaid's nightmare

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Well,

when we lived in Jamaica, we didn't have amenities like washing machines, so everything had to be hand washed, even today, i still hand wash most, if not all my dress shirts, and occasionally my regular clothing when the washing machine does not give me the result that i want.

1. you have to be very careful though, because if the garment you are washing was not made from a fabric that was preshrunk, you can run into problems.........

2. avoid washing garments made from certain kinds of wool, as they still shrink as with machine washing).

3.if you are washing knits, do not wring the garment when wet, and lay it on a flat (a table in the sun) surface to be dried afterwards

what i do know is that, you colors will last longer when you hand was the garments

Also, Oxy-clean should become your best friend, as you can pre-soak the garments in an oxy-clean and water solution and it remove all the stains and dirt and makes it very easy to hand wash afterwards without affecting the garment colors

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

thanks A and Z, yeah i meant to put this one in the shopping and personal style but i guess it works under designers and their work and as merzbow's DIY suggestion.

oxyclean huh, i've cleaned up stains on my sofa w that...

Comment

• ddohnggo
          • Oct 2006

i don't wash clothes. i just throw them out when they get dirty and buy them again. ;)

edit: i just threw away my fencing jacket b/c i got a water stain on it.

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

what is a rec'd detergent?

Comment

• philip nod
              • Aug 2007

[quote user="ddohnggo"]i don't wash clothes. i just throw them out when they get dirty and buy them again. ;)
              [/quote]

you're one of those guys who has 365 pairs of socks each year

Comment

• ddohnggo
                • Oct 2006

just call me damon dash

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Also, sometimes people overlook the most obvious thing - RTFM!!!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

how long does one leave soaking in the soap? 5 mins? 10?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]how long does one leave soaking in the soap? 5 mins? 10?
                      [/quote]

10 min should be fine, even more won't hurt. what are you washing?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

some cdiem, ma+, RO shirts

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Also, sometimes people overlook the most obvious thing - RTFM!!!

[/quote]

what brand used that tag?! They immediately have 1000% more respect :)

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

don't know, found it through google image search. just thought it was funny.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ddohnggo
                              • Oct 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]some cdiem, ma+, RO shirts
                              [/quote]

why're you washing cdiem shirts? weren't they buried by hobbits in middle-earth????????? you'll wash off the essence.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎