• tims
    • Jan 2008

Re: Comme Des Garcons Womens F/W 08.09 Paris

I keep thinking this is the Tim Burton Feb 14 2009 collection

Comment

• soultek
      • Feb 2007

For what she is and what she's trying to be, Winehouse is pretty good. I fronted for quite a while before coming around. Sure she's not as good as the groups she was inspired by, but then again Interpol is no Joy Div and I still love them all the same.

Comment

• mortalveneer
        • Jan 2008

[quote user="soultek"]For what she is and what she's trying to be, Winehouse is pretty good.
        [/quote]

To me this sounds like the classic excuse for liking something that's low quality. I find myself reaching for that exact phrase when I'm trying to justify my taste in something that I know to be questionable...

I am not who you think I am

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="mortalveneer"]

[quote user="soultek"]For what she is and what she's trying to be, Winehouse is pretty good.
          [/quote]

To me this sounds like the classic excuse for liking something that's low quality. I find myself reaching for that exact phrase when I'm trying to justify my taste in something that I know to be questionable...

[/quote]

I think that's what Cathy Horyn meant when she told Junya Watanabe that she judges different designers on a different scale. Of course, she works in the field, so that's as diplomatic as she can get.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Of course, she works in the field, so that's as diplomatic as she can get.

[/quote]

Shocking how much fawning is still expected in the fashion world. If she worked in political journalism we'd be calling Cathy a sycophant rather than calling her diplomatic.

Comment

• mortalveneer
              • Jan 2008

[quote user="dontbecruel"][quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]

Shocking how much fawning is still expected in the fashion world. If she worked in political journalism we'd be calling Cathy a sycophant rather than calling her diplomatic.

[/quote]

I think the general populace expects a MUCH higher degree of realism in their political journalism than in their fashion journalism, simply stemming from the costs of misinformation in either case. Someone is a bit too laudatory of a politician; you end up with a jackass screwing up your country for 4-8 years. Someone is too laudatory of a designer; you end going to that label's boutique and come away disappointed...

Comment

• dontbecruel
                • Sep 2006

Fair point mv! But it is a shame that fashion journalists basically have to give everyone a good review to stay in the loop. The same is not true in literary reviews for instance. It rather reinforces the (partially justified) prejudice that fashion is a vacuous world full of air-kissing fools.

Comment

• soultek
                  • Feb 2007

[/quote]

[/quote]

There's no accounting for people's taste, however you can judge/argue what people are trying to do vs. what they pull off. I look at fashion the same way. I didn't like Winehouse at first because it's pop sounding for my tastes. If you can't stand pop music, that's one thing, but if you see merits in some of it, I'd like to hear an argument for why Winehouse is undeserved as one of the best pop records last year.

And, if you think it's crap and still like it anyways, why deny yourself a guilty pleasure?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="mortalveneer"][quote user="dontbecruel"][quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the general populace expects a MUCH higher degree of realism in their political journalism than in their fashion journalism, simply stemming from the costs of misinformation in either case. Someone is a bit too laudatory of a politician; you end up with a jackass screwing up your country for 4-8 years. Someone is too laudatory of a designer; you end going to that label's boutique and come away disappointed...

[/quote]

No, your newspaper/magazine ends up going out of business because of designers cutting advertisement. NYT is about the only one who doesn't give a shit (remember, Armani pulled all NYT ads after Ms. Horyn said that he blows bubbles).

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mortalveneer
                      • Jan 2008

[quote user="soultek"]

There's no accounting for people's taste, however you can judge/argue what people are trying to do vs. what they pull off. I look at fashion the same way. I didn't like Winehouse at first because it's pop sounding for my tastes. If you can't stand pop music, that's one thing, but if you see merits in some of it, I'd like to hear an argument for why Winehouse is undeserved as one of the best pop records last year.

And, if you think it's crap and still like it anyways, why deny yourself a guilty pleasure?

[/quote]

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to call you out. I'm guilty of more guilty pleasures than most people. I was just identifying with that form of justification...

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="soultek"][quote user="mortalveneer"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok, not that I'm a Sontag freak or anything, lol, but I just remembered this

"The discovery of the good taste of bad taste can be very liberating.
                        The man who insists on high and serious pleasures is depriving himself
                        of pleasure; he continually restricts what he can enjoy; in the
                        constant exercise of his good taste he will eventually price himself
                        out of the market, so to speak."

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mortalveneer
                          • Jan 2008

[quote user="Faust"]

No, your newspaper/magazine ends up going out of business because of designers cutting advertisement. NYT is about the only one who doesn't give a shit (remember, Armani pulled all NYT ads after Ms. Horyn said that he blows bubbles).

[/quote]

Definitely a valid supply side explanation, but that doesn't rule out that the average reader of a fashion editorial has different expectations than the average reader of a political editorial...

Comment

• mortalveneer
                            • Jan 2008

[quote user="Faust"]

Ok, not that I'm a Sontag freak or anything, lol, but I just remembered this

"The discovery of the good taste of bad taste can be very liberating.
                            The man who insists on high and serious pleasures is depriving himself
                            of pleasure; he continually restricts what he can enjoy; in the
                            constant exercise of his good taste he will eventually price himself
                            out of the market, so to speak."

[/quote]

Good Quote! I have long espoused the merits of indulging in "lesser pleasures" as not necessarily detracting from one's indulgence in "greater pleasures"...

Comment

• Servo2000
                              • Oct 2006

I'm going to have to be the voice of exasperation: this is atrocious. I would say the better part of 90 percent of this is no more interesting and sometimes less-so than the typical gothic-lolita trappings of Fruits Magazine and their annals of irritation. "Amy Winehouse" is no better than doing a literal interpretation of Britney Spears, which is to say that they're both drugged up incompetents with a passable pop career. I'm not saying that there's nothing interesting there, I'm just saying that taking an inspiration and executing it in this manner is lazy and the results are exasperating.

While his interpretation appears to be much less literal, Margiela's examinations of these "media fiascoes" was far more interesting, although it seems that Rei is just drawn to the attitude.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• laika
                                • Sep 2006

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why on earth would one need to justify? It's bad taste not to have any bad taste....or at least, terrifically boring. [|-)]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎