X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erdweir
    • Jul 2012

high and dry

Hey, I did not notice this thread at first..

I am 40 year old artist, living alone in the middle of nowhere up in the high desert of northern New Mexico. After being in New New York for 10 years, spending some time in Berlin and San Francisco, I decided I needed a long Sabbatical.

So...With fashion, I grew up with the whole punk/goth thing in Seattle during the 80's. We didnt call it 'Goth', for whatever reason we said "Batcave" which i think refers to a club that used to be in London. Nobody seems to say that anymore..

My interest in clothing became more serious again in my mid-30's when I was living in SF. I was dating this young woman at the time who used to modify her clothes in this pretty crude way, and I had been hanging out with V.Vale a bit (of RE/Search publications) and he would sometimes talk about punk in terms of unskilled music and art. I had wanted to make clothing for years but had felt inhibited because of lack of knowledge, but suddenly decided to do it anyway, without caring about the imperfections.

What happened then was I started modifying my clothes, and then making things out of scrap by hand, with a needle and thread. Before I knew it a local designer had hired me to design women's clothing for them. Much to my surprise I could sort of do it with no training or education. I got sick of the job after year or so and went to Europe and hung out in Berlin for a while, then back to NY, and then slowly realized by visiting Barney's and Atelier that this whole thing existed.

I am still working on clothes, but i dont know what, if anything, I will end up doing with it. I need a couple years of incubation at least (my patternmaking sucks). Still, its nice to know there is good work out there, I only made my own things because I couldn't find anything I liked. Perhaps if I hand wandered into the Archive back then it would have opened my eyes a bit, but then again I didnt have any money anyway!

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Oh, good, an adult! Welcome.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ortem
        • Sep 2012

I came across this site upon surfing the web on the topic of "Rick Owens".

So nice to find such a sophisticated group of admirers here with a similar aesthetic. I look forward to the discussions.

Comment

• lalilulelo
          • Sep 2012

Hello,

My name is Robert. I'm a 23 year old living in Seattle. I make drum & bass.

Comment

• Nomad_
            • Jul 2012

waddup SZ community,

My name is John and I hail from Toronto, Canada.
            Im studying fashion part-time and I style creative shoots on
            the side when the opportunity arises. Grew up on 90's rugged hip-hop, japanese animation and videogames since genesis/snes which fathered the style and aesthetic that I stay dipped in today.

Anyway I've been a lurker on this forum for about a few years now and decided I'd finally establish an account. I'm learning a lot about
            this aesthetic of fashion and all you guy's debates and input always gives me great insight, anyway I'll shut up now but I'll be sure to contribute a lot in the up and coming years

even if just a little bit of it is credible...

my b-days in couple days but i figure this is okay
            here's to SZ and affiliates (raises whiskey glass)

PAYCE!!!

Comment

• cloth of stillness
              • Sep 2012

cloth of stillness joins SZ community

Dear SZ community,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is kien and I am the designer and principal of the brand, cloth of stillness. I work out of Brooklyn, NY and just recently show during NYFW s/s 2013.

Looking forward to what may reveal upon opening this door,

kien

"stillness is not a creation"

Comment

• maranello
                • Dec 2009

Hi SZ,

Have been a lurker since 2009.Never worked in the Creative/Fashion industry.I've been interested in Avant Garde Fashion since 2007 but unfortunately due to my country's humid weather constraints it's very difficult to apply multiple layering concepts on oneself.Also we do not have much access to the stuff that SZ users wear.Eg.CCP,MA etc.But oh well time to post and know more like-minded individuals through the Buy/Sell section.

Cheers.

Comment

• Ksyusha
                  • Oct 2012

Hello
                  My name is Kseniya. I'm russian and i live in US (AK) now. I'm 33
                  I like fashion and i love photography.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Chto ti tak zhestoko, merz :)
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Да уж, про кривых то зря. Сирых и убогих, это да.

Comment

• Ksyusha
                        • Oct 2012

спасибо

Comment

• Resonkuken
                          • Oct 2012

Hi everyone in SZ. Heard about this forum and thought I´d checked it out. I lurked for a while and saw some great fits and lots of people interested in great new designers I´ve been into lately, like Sruli Recht or Boris Bidjan. I hope to meet some people who appreciate it art, fashion and design and learn a lot as well.

Comment

• Wizad
                            • Jan 2011

Greetings to all... A privilege to lurk this exciting, involved, dynamic and often hilarious forum.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Welcome, Gandalf.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Wizad
                                • Jan 2011

Thank you your Faustness :)
                                Picked username ages ago. Wanted to change but what the heck...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎