X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crz
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by zamb View Post
    Generally juki Machines are very good machines, the Pfaffs and Durkopp Adler are the best, except they are ridiculously expensive and the parts are hard to source (damn you germans!!!!!)
    my grandma has a Durkopp industrial machine.. she doesnt let me use it

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by crz View Post
      my grandma has a Durkopp industrial machine.. she doesnt let me use it

Industrials are sleeping beasts. You gotta be good with the pedal or it'll seriously just take off on you. When they say 5000+ stitches a minute, they really do mean it! I've accidentally pressed forward on the pedal while looking away and yikes it can get scary real quick.

That being said, going industrial (all Juki's) has been the best mechanical move I've ever done. They sew smooth, fast and are ultra efficient and certainly have increased my productivity tremendously.

Like Zamb said, $300-500ish can definitely get you a Juki, just be prepared to either pay a lot in shipping costs or bring a friend to lug it all home because it's DAMN heavy.
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• cabl3
        • Dec 2008

The setup I'm currently running on is a domestic Kenmoore straight stich (has about 9 other settings you'd expect to be on a domestic) and a Singer serger.

This has gotten me by for making basic alterations tshirts/buttonups/slacks but it does leave a lot to desire, thread locks and motor whining (on overlaps with thick fabrics) are common.....I am definitely looking into getting a Juki as in order to work through those thick areas and start working with leather. Have had a couple of projects/ideas I've been meaning to get off the ground.
        "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
        - Wilde

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cabl3 View Post
          The setup I'm currently running on is a domestic Kenmoore straight stich (has about 9 other settings you'd expect to be on a domestic) and a Singer serger.

This has gotten me by for making basic alterations tshirts/buttonups/slacks but it does leave a lot to desire, thread locks and motor whining (on overlaps with thick fabrics) are common.....I am definitely looking into getting a Juki as in order to work through those thick areas and start working with leather. Have had a couple of projects/ideas I've been meaning to get off the ground.

I ran into a lot of this earlier before I went industrial. it got very annoying especially when working with leather since you can't exactly seam rip and start over again. I can safely say that I've had none of those issues with the Juki now... not many fabrics or layers can stand up to a 1/2 hp motor :)

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• cabl3
            • Dec 2008

Awesome, thanks for the heads up now I see..I dont want a Juki..I need one lol.

Besides the net, would you happen to know a good place to find some used ones in TX? just noticed ur here too.
            "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
            - Wilde

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cabl3 View Post
              Awesome, thanks for the heads up now I see..I dont want a Juki..I need one lol.

Besides the net, would you happen to know a good place to find some used ones in TX? just noticed ur here too.
              Craigslist would be your best bet for a really good deal. Here in san antonio there is a store downtown that carries industial sewing equipment/supplies and i think they have machines every so often.

Pm me if you need any other info! Happy to help! Whereabouts in tx are ya?

Comment

• delirium
                • Sep 2008

bumping again

anyone help me out with a juki source in SoCal ? :)

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by delirium View Post
                  bumping again

anyone help me out with a juki source in SoCal ? :)

Found this online:
                  commercial sewing machine, antique sewing machines for movies, commercial equipment and parts for all brands, commercial sewing machines

also there seems to be a few on the LA craigslist at the moment...

Comment

• delirium
                    • Sep 2008

thanks for the link. i'll check that dealer out.
                    not sure i want to mess with craigslist right now. rather go to a reputable dealer.

what type of problems do used machines develop? i guess if i had a handle on what could be wrong. i might better evaluate a potential machine. or rather, is there anything in particular to be looking for in a machine test run.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by delirium View Post
                      thanks for the link. i'll check that dealer out.
                      not sure i want to mess with craigslist right now. rather go to a reputable dealer.

what type of problems do used machines develop? i guess if i had a handle on what could be wrong. i might better evaluate a potential machine. or rather, is there anything in particular to be looking for in a machine test run.
                      Nothing wrong with Craigslist... it's how I got my setup. You certainly get to see the machine and give it a test run all you want prior to purchasing.

Juki's are so straightforward that if anything is wrong, it'll be quite evident the moment you depress the pedal. It essentially just pumps up and down. As long as the fabric travels smoothly/feeds well and the reverse and forward work well and the motor hums cleanly, you should be good to go. Zamb may weigh in here...

Comment

• eat me
                        • May 2009

My, the machines in US are cheap. You're lucky if you'll find a USED one for $400 here, let alone a new, and JUKI. It's mostly Brother or some Wimsew crap. I'm green with envy now haha.

Back to topic - definitely go for industrial. If you're planning to sew something other than pillows and occasional skirt, I cannot recommend it enough.

In terms of brands, the best out there is DURKOPP-ADLER (http://www.duerkopp-adler.com/en/index.html). It's hard to get and expensive too.

JUKI is fantastic, so is nicely tuned PFAFF or MITSUBISHI.

About the stretch seam - that's probably someone's name for an overlock (like on jersey garments), or zig-zag.

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                          Nothing wrong with Craigslist... it's how I got my setup. You certainly get to see the machine and give it a test run all you want prior to purchasing.

Juki's are so straightforward that if anything is wrong, it'll be quite evident the moment you depress the pedal. It essentially just pumps up and down. As long as the fabric travels smoothly/feeds well and the reverse and forward work well and the motor hums cleanly, you should be good to go. Zamb may weigh in here...
                          Agreed, they mechanics of a industrial straight stitch machine is pretty straightforward, unless the machine is severely damaged, it should work quite well........also just make sure you get a machine with a reverse stitch lever though, as it makes life a whole lot easier, and also make sure it has a 110v motor for use with the electric supply from your house......................
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by MonaDahl
                            Quick follow up, I found a Pffaf Select 3.0 for ~40% off, so I got it. It's amazing.
                            Very good, Pfaffs are some of the best machines around, and if you want versatility I guess this is a very good pickup........... i still think if you are serious about this you should invest in an industrial machine though...........

Comment

• fadetogrey
                              • Apr 2009

I have a Juki industrial straight-stitch and could not be happier. Though I had 4 years experience using them at uni. Pfaff is equally good in my experience. I can't deal with domestic sewing machines- at least the one I had previously. The thread got garbled so frequently that I stopped sewing until I got my Juki (got it off craigslist for around $400 I think?). I do have a domestic serger, though, due to lack of space! The only drawback for me having an industrial is I have nothing to make buttonholes with, except my own hands with a needle and thread (which I haven't done since school!). Although hand-stitched button holes are very nice looking.

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by fadetogrey View Post
                                I have a Juki industrial straight-stitch and could not be happier. Though I had 4 years experience using them at uni. Pfaff is equally good in my experience. I can't deal with domestic sewing machines- at least the one I had previously. The thread got garbled so frequently that I stopped sewing until I got my Juki (got it off craigslist for around $400 I think?). I do have a domestic serger, though, due to lack of space! The only drawback for me having an industrial is I have nothing to make buttonholes with, except my own hands with a needle and thread (which I haven't done since school!). Although hand-stitched button holes are very nice looking.
                                there are some buttonhole attachments that can work with the Juki, that you can buy, I will try to find a link and send to you,
                                Also depending on what kind of space you havem there are some industrial sergers that come on a really small table, I have a pearl merrow, with one of these tables...............
                                fortunately for me, i have all i need,
                                bartack, straight stitch ovelock, Keyhole buttonhole and all..............
                                a mini factory, will post picks of my studio one of these days.........

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎