Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DudleyGray
    • Jul 2013

So I wrote and recorded an entire album all by myself and it took me a lot of time and effort so it would be nice if people listened to it and if you like it please share it with anyone you think would enjoy it.

S. Hero - Made in Italy

Here is some copy that I wrote about the album taken from the link:

Back in 2012 or so, I started writing songs using the poetry of my friend Stephanie Roulias. They were just short acoustic things that I was uploading to Soundcloud. We had a lot of fun doing this, and eventually, I recorded the songs as a debut solo acoustic album. I got to play some shows after that, and with the help of a friend, I received a nice write-up in a Swedish music magazine called Sonic. I took a break from making music for a while, but it always bothered me that the project only went as far as a single acoustic album. So for the past several months, I holed myself up in my house and spent all my free hours neglecting as many responsibilities as I could while recording this follow-up album, Made in Italy.

Some the songs on Made in Italy are full band versions of old songs. The rest are newer songs that I wrote with Stephanie since the debut but never got around to recording. To make this album, I used a PC laptop, a DAW program (Reason 7), a budget audio interface, a guitar, a bass, and a vocal mic. I used Reason's built-in amp simulators and effects for the guitar and bass. For the drums, I used live drum samples that David Dokko (ex-At Knifepoint) and I had used for a long-distance music project, hihibangbang (soundcloud.com/hihibangbang). I loaded the drum samples into Reason's drum designer and programmed each hit via MIDI.

I wrote, recorded, arranged, and mixed all of the parts on the album myself, but I have to give credit where it is due. Firstly, Steph was the muse. Normally, I wouldn’t have written music like this, but having Steph involved pushed me outside of my comfort zone to make music that she might enjoy. Secondly, I had a live band version of S. Hero going for a very brief period before I had a typical Yejoon meltdown and burned it to the ground. Sean McKeane and Henry “Chubbs” were the bassist and drummer, respectively, and I tried to preserve their contributions to the songs as best as I could. Finally, I used vocal samples of friends and family to add more character to the album. Looking back, that was the driving force behind this album: friends and relationships that find their way into our lives and give it character.

I hope you give the album a listen, and I hope you enjoy it. I had a lot of fun making it, and I’m quite proud of the results.
    And here is the final physical product. If you would like one, please PM me your address.

Last edited by DudleyGray; 05-12-2016, 07:46 PM.
    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• NOHSAD
      • Nov 2014

Another T-shirt for myself to wear, compared to my first shirt, this one's almost perfect... I'd like tweak out the sleeve cap, otherwise fit and finish is ideal for me.

Fabric - Black Cotton Jersey

Fit - Slim, close to the body

Details
      - long Center Front and back; front = 32in back = 38in

-3/4 sleeves (which were made much slimmer coming from the slub cotton version.

-Unfinished sleeve hem, hemline and neckline (the neckline was unfinished on the slub because i rushed while sewing that, however i'll see if i like it that way on this garment).

My current goal for now is to make the sleeve cap "just right" afterwards i'd like to try my hands at shirting garments. Baby steps i suppose?
      "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• mainstayer0
        • Sep 2015

Comment

• Nickefuge
          • Nov 2014

Artwork I did for the folk/pop band BRTHR:

"The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• wildinthewoods
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ahn View Post

Just wanted to share this bespoke sterling silver and Australian white sapphire engagement and wedding ring set.

It was an intensive process to get the exact wishes of the client, and I find that when it is finally complete after months of discussion and development it feels like what I would imagine it might feel like to give away a child.

So I am posting it a lot in an effort to experience it a little more .

I hope it isn't always this way !
            so beautiful!

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

I recorded a lo-fi acoustic album of songs I wrote a while back.

Comment

• goldsamxo
                • Jan 2017

Before I moved to NYC for college, I was running a small brand out of my bedroom / studio called 'gold.' (alas the name). this is one of the pieces i released;

it was a 17 oz. japanese french terry shirt with pima de roma cotton sleeves & sewn on patches. i had a lot of run running the 'brand' and making clothes - just my style has changed
                Originally Posted by Latoya Sizemore View Post

It would be great if one cane wear little bit loose T-shirts with some great prints like marijuana leaves, cannabis, weeds etc.
                Most of the youngsters will like to wear fashionable and chill clothing, which give a great looks to youngsters.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                  • Jul 2013

I haven't been on here for a while, and now I'm on here as a self-promoting whore. I'm honestly sorry about that. I hate being that more than anything. It feels like a crime against genuine, authentic relationships. I feel that the only way to offset that in any way is with this apologetic preface. A lot of creative people reside here, though, so hopefully you sympathize. I'll give you the tl;dr version first:

nutjob makes album about mental illness and drug (ab)use

S. Hero. Claymont, Delaware.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

This album is largely about depression, drugs, addiction, mania, suicide ideation, delusional psychosis, all things one might find themselves inside a mental hospital for. I don't drink or do drugs and am in both good mental and physical health (except smoking of course), so in case you're the type to be concerned, no need to worry about that. But with respect to setting and emotion, this one is tied heavily to SZ for me, and I hope you'll be able to hear or feel it in there. If SZ posters only listen to one song out of curiosity, I'd hope it's "Maniac Club."

Full story:

When I was 19, I lost my mind. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder Type 1 (the weirdest Daniel Johnston one). I spent some time in inpatient trying to lie my way out and learning to act normal, which is why I'm so good at acting normal now. They put me on meds, and eventually I believed something.

Fast forward to ~15 years later, I decide to go off my meds and see what I'm really about. Years pass during this time, and I do fine. This is coincidentally the time that I'm furiously posting on SZ. While I probably came off as pretty out there, it's just the internet, so who cares? Be mean, nice, crazy, stupid, funny, smart, serious, ramble, rant, rave, ignore, it's all absorbed into this vulgar blue.

But in terms of real life (ie, my job, being a dad, health, except cigarettes of course), it's all going well enough. Some emotional outbursts and burning bridges happen, maybe a little bit of overspending, but that stuff happens to everyone. Then I stop caring about being off meds. I've done my thing, and there's nothing left to be gained. I decide to go back on as insurance against a nastier mood, at least until my son is old enough to take care of himself. In the process, I accidentally admitted myself into inpatient, whoops, but all's well that ends well.

It was a rad time. I love being bipolar, both the highs and the lows. I think it's what makes me awesome instead of boring and normal and scared of what others might think or desperate for validation, people afraid of pain, death, insanity, and nihilism. So during that off-meds time, I wrote these songs, and over the past couple of months, I've recorded them proper, how I envisioned them w/drums, bass, synth, all that.

Comment

• Lex1017
                    • Jul 2015

Listened through and enjoyed the whole thing. I have a friend who was diagnosed with manic disorder around the same age as you and to this day still has problems. Unfortunately he has issues with sobriety as well which doesn't help. He has 1-3 year spurts of no problems but you can tell when he is starting to slip and it is a quick decent. Glad to hear everything is going well for you. keep up the music, it's sick.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                      • Jul 2013

Not sure if you experience the other side of the coin as well of creating works (music or otherwise), but I feel like listening to a full album is the nicest possible thing a person could do for an unknown musician, so I really appreciate it.

Sobriety is tough, unrewarding, and necessary, like paying home insurance. If only they had a recreational drug that made existence feel meaningful and intentional, reasonable, without ill effects, rather than arbitrary chaos.

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

^^ In relation to that I often think of this great quote from the Rick in the Purple Mag interview. For my music, I don't want a big audience for fame or money, but I want to be part of the conversation.

"RICK OWENS — It really is a very selfish exercise of what I want, what I want to say, and what I want to produce. But it’s almost never: “What do people want?” Or even, “What do people need?” That wouldn’t work. I call it a conversation. What’s great about making things is being listened to. Everybody wants to be listened to. You want your children to listen to you. You want your lover to listen to you. You want somebody to listen to you.

OLIVIER ZAHM — True.

RICK OWENS — You say something, and you want somebody to listen. I feel great satisfaction in that I was able to communicate this way. I’m not that comfortable in groups — I’m not shy, I just never really learned how to work with a team. I never played group sports or learned how to be comfortable in a group. Michèle, for example, went to a boarding school, where I think you learn a different set of skills. I didn’t really learn those. So my comfort level is one that is to be very much alone. But I was determined to participate in the world. I want to be part of the world. I often drank too much to make myself brave enough to be part of it. To participate. I did that for a long time. Now, I feel like I’ve participated. It’s the most wonderful feeling."
                        music

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

And while we're sharing, I recently started releasing material from a new project. My first stab at some songs rather than abstract electronic or chamber music:
                          music

Comment

• DudleyGray
                            • Jul 2013

I dig it, especially the drums and the overall sounds/mood. Video editing was really clever. Is that you in the video, and are you doing everything yourself? Also, namecheck on hoodie if relevant to SZ, because this is SZ after all. :P

I ended up doing some video editing (word used loosely) myself:

Originally posted by casem View Post
                            ^^ In relation to that I often think of this great quote from the Rick in the Purple Mag interview. For my music, I don't want a big audience for fame or money, but I want to be part of the conversation.

"RICK OWENS — It really is a very selfish exercise of what I want, what I want to say, and what I want to produce. But it’s almost never: “What do people want?” Or even, “What do people need?” That wouldn’t work. I call it a conversation. What’s great about making things is being listened to. Everybody wants to be listened to. You want your children to listen to you. You want your lover to listen to you. You want somebody to listen to you.

OLIVIER ZAHM — True.

RICK OWENS — You say something, and you want somebody to listen. I feel great satisfaction in that I was able to communicate this way. I’m not that comfortable in groups — I’m not shy, I just never really learned how to work with a team. I never played group sports or learned how to be comfortable in a group. Michèle, for example, went to a boarding school, where I think you learn a different set of skills. I didn’t really learn those. So my comfort level is one that is to be very much alone. But I was determined to participate in the world. I want to be part of the world. I often drank too much to make myself brave enough to be part of it. To participate. I did that for a long time. Now, I feel like I’ve participated. It’s the most wonderful feeling."
                            As for fame and money, well I definitely want those things. What else is left to experience, a 2nd divorce? Another pair of overpriced sneakers? And I'm not stupid, I know who I am and that fame/money is not in my cards at this point in my life, but etc. Although, you did say for fame/money, that's quite a bit different.

What do you mean by conversation? Because I think about talking through music and talking about music. The former, music as a conversation, music itself being the ideas exchanged, I'm all about that. I think about how the music I love comes out in my work, and I love the idea that it might in turn do the same for someone else. The way the pendulum of fashion does or the way academic conversations unfold over time, I'd like to be a part of that.

But otherwise, I find it very hard to talk about music (or anything aesthetic) anymore. My BFF and I, we go way back on music, and it's gotten to the point that we've kind of just resigned ourselves to saying 'I like/dislike X' 'y/n.' Like when I try to talk about music itself, and not scenes or equipment or processes, I end up disbelieving what I said or feeling I misrepresented something. Or I just end up contradicting it later, or I feel like I'm just full of hot air. I mean everyone has opinions, and rational supporting arguments hold little weight with me in that subjective moment, be it creating or listening. Like if someone were to ask me what my video is about, all I could really think to say is "it is about devil worship."
                            Last edited by DudleyGray; 08-13-2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Alan
                              • Aug 2014

Anybody does constrained creative writing? When I have free time, I like writing in tautograms, lipograms, chaterisms, etc.

Comment

• casem
                                • Sep 2006

Thanks! Yup its me, shot by my BF in Iceland, super simple because I don't know much about video editing but I know most people consume music on youtube so I thought I should make something. Hoodie is the Soloist and jacket is Siki Im ;-).

I didn't mean anything so literal about conversation, generally my music is non-narrative and I don't mean talking about music with friends. I just mean I want to be part of the greater conversation of what's going on in new music, I want to be known and relevant. I've thought about this a lot having gone through academia, where lots of people are making interesting music but it has almost no impact whatsoever on the wider culture. I was reminded of this point when you mentioned how great it is to have someone give your entire album a listen. Of course, fame and money are cool too, but my main motivation is to be heard.

I also gave your album and video a listen and I'm diggin it!

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                                I dig it, especially the drums and the overall sounds/mood. Video editing was really clever. Is that you in the video, and are you doing everything yourself? Also, namecheck on hoodie if relevant to SZ, because this is SZ after all. :P

I ended up doing some video editing (word used loosely) myself:

As for fame and money, well I definitely want those things. What else is left to experience, a 2nd divorce? Another pair of overpriced sneakers? And I'm not stupid, I know who I am and that fame/money is not in my cards at this point in my life, but etc. Although, you did say for fame/money, that's quite a bit different.

What do you mean by conversation? Because I think about talking through music and talking about music. The former, music as a conversation, music itself being the ideas exchanged, I'm all about that. I think about how the music I love comes out in my work, and I love the idea that it might in turn do the same for someone else. The way the pendulum of fashion does or the way academic conversations unfold over time, I'd like to be a part of that.

But otherwise, I find it very hard to talk about music (or anything aesthetic) anymore. My BFF and I, we go way back on music, and it's gotten to the point that we've kind of just resigned ourselves to saying 'I like/dislike X' 'y/n.' Like when I try to talk about music itself, and not scenes or equipment or processes, I end up disbelieving what I said or feeling I misrepresented something. Or I just end up contradicting it later, or I feel like I'm just full of hot air. I mean everyone has opinions, and rational supporting arguments hold little weight with me in that subjective moment, be it creating or listening. Like if someone were to ask me what my video is about, all I could really think to say is "it is about devil worship."
                                music

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎