X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DudleyGray
    • Jul 2013

Thanks, casem!

Do you think it's possible to be a part of the conversation without fame? Everything is just so fragmented these days, and the internet all but absorbs/synthesizes/nullifies new movements. Like I love witch house and still follow Balam Acab loyally, but that movement was barely a blip. People got excited for Salem's return but who knows if that will even happen. Although, there's also the route of a band like Half Japanese. They somehow managed to work their way in channeled through Sonic Youth and Nirvana. That would be a really cool thing to be, too, although I'm not sure that I could personally be satisfied with that.

Originally posted by Alan View Post
    Anybody does constrained creative writing? When I have free time, I like writing in tautograms, lipograms, chaterisms, etc.
    I googled what these were, and the constraints seem awfully arbitrary, but I suppose that's not too different from any other creative act. What do you got?
    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Alan
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
      I googled what these were, and the constraints seem awfully arbitrary, but I suppose that's not too different from any other creative act. What do you got?
      They are arbitrary indeed. In fact, think of a different never-before-used constraint, give it a fashionable latin/greek name, and voilà, you just invented a new type of constrained writing. That's already creative in itself. But constrained writing does have a useful and quite important purpose (besides making you the next Raymond Queneau): it makes you more proficient in a language.

I first got interested in constrained writing when I took a creative writing class in French last year. So, my writings are exclusively in French, and not one in English. If you or anyone else is interested, I'd be more than happy to share. But if one doesn't understand the language, then it may not seem as interesting, I'm afraid. Hate to bore.

Comment

• zen dog
        • Jan 2014

I'm not one for shout outs, but here is one for Raymond Queneau although I've not thought of him working with constraints. If anything, I think he was known for using common, street language in writing rather than a more formal French and being playful in his plots and writing. I have to read everything in English so I know I'm missing out on word plays in Queneau and Robbe-Grillet. Michel Butor (sp?)was another favorite of mine as well as Celine.

Comment

• DudleyGray
          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          They are arbitrary indeed. In fact, think of a different never-before-used constraint, give it a fashionable latin/greek name, and voilà, you just invented a new type of constrained writing. That's already creative in itself. But constrained writing does have a useful and quite important purpose (besides making you the next Raymond Queneau): it makes you more proficient in a language.

I first got interested in constrained writing when I took a creative writing class in French last year. So, my writings are exclusively in French, and not one in English. If you or anyone else is interested, I'd be more than happy to share. But if one doesn't understand the language, then it may not seem as interesting, I'm afraid. Hate to bore.
          Unfortunately, I speak fewer Frenches than Rick, so your pommes would be lost on me. But I don't see what boring others has to do with anything. This is the internet, after all; everyone is bored when they are not, and you can't hold anyone's attention even when you have it. As an aside, as an editor by trade, I respect your concision, "in itself," not to mention colon use. Yours shows emphasis, while mine shows the vulgar: shit.

I have to retract my previous statement on music as conversation, as I don't believe that is why I am doing this. I feel completely alone in the universe, as the sole subject of my experience, with the subjective experience of others inaccessible to my self. At this time, because I'm fickle, I believe that music is my Sisyphean attempt to break the subject-object barrier, to Deleuze myself into believing in a musical monism, that others can feel what I feel beyond doubt and that I can be the cause of such feelings, as much as the music of others stirs within me.

Comment

• Nickefuge
            • Nov 2014

I’ve started a small project where I take the most basic Supreme accessories and subtract the logo.
            I’m posting one item every day on my Tumblr named "Regular Products".
            "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
            -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Alan
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by zen dog View Post
              I'm not one for shout outs, but here is one for Raymond Queneau although I've not thought of him working with constraints. If anything, I think he was known for using common, street language in writing rather than a more formal French and being playful in his plots and writing. I have to read everything in English so I know I'm missing out on word plays in Queneau and Robbe-Grillet. Michel Butor (sp?)was another favorite of mine as well as Celine.
              There is a literary movement and a "society" of various writers (mostly French) who create works using constrained writing techniques. This society is called Oulipo, and it was founded in 1960 by Raymond Queneau and François Le Lionnais. Raymond Queneau's constrained "Cent mille milliards de poèmes" (A Hundred Thousand Billion Poems) led to the Oulipo's creation in 1960. RQ is also known for wit and humor in his writing. If you're interested, be sure to read his notable "Exercices de style" in English (ingeniously translated by Barbara Wright). It's a marvelous brain tickler. Very short and very easy to read. You'll have fun.
              Last edited by Alan; 08-27-2017, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                • Jul 2013

I took footage from this post to make this video:

The song is titled Never Complain, from the Kate Moss quote, "Never complain, never explain" (originally Benjamin Disraeli). Side note, Windows Movie Maker is annoying as hell to try and sync music and video with.

Comment

• casem
                  • Sep 2006

music

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

My BFF sent me a voice memo acoustic song last night and it was so good that I felt compelled to record it proper:

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

RIYL: Lydia Loveless, Ryan Adams, The Replacements/Paul Westerberg, Big Star/Alex Chilton

Comment

• Bodique
                      • Mar 2012

I'm still worry about to post it hear cause of how you may react but here are some of my illustrations that I created as meditation

«Страдания жизни неразумной приводят к сознанию необходимости разумной жизни.»
                      Лев Николаевич Толстой

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎