• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bestial View Post
    excuse me! I had "show and tell" for the teachers today, and there I had to tell them my thoughts which followed an hour of discussion, so I'm so into the whole "tell my vision"-thing. Which of course some viewers like.

but, according to all the following discussion from my peers and teachers much more than the things written did follow. but of course I would like to hear what you think and what feelings you get!

I want to see the transcript of this discussion.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• bestial
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      I want to see the transcript of this discussion.
      dude, I want to have it too, cause I don't remind anything!

... well of course I remember some things.

Comment

• electric_alyce
        • Mar 2008

LOVE IT Bestial!!! Reminds me of a mixture between Terrence Koh, Julius (especially with the spine) and something completely new. Above all I Love the lighting, really good!

edit: Thought maybe I'd share, although I'm not a hundred per cent shure what exactly it is I'm showing, but nevermind that, my (very in-progress, it's not finnished in any way) online portfolio: LINK
        Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

• Yan
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bestial View Post
          thank you mate!

do you think about the banks crashing (Lehmann Brothers?) and that everyday life is almost turned upside down? The machine is out of order. :(
          Its like all the twin worlds of greed and vanity spilling their dark guts into a pool of black.

Comment

• bestial
            • Jun 2008

well yeah, that's also true, just that the only news I snapped up this week was the stockmarket.

Comment

• mamaboy
              • Mar 2008

feels like terence koh....
              but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• philip nod
                • Aug 2007

i'm too lazy to post the julius pic that looks exactly like it. and tko is a bad place to draw inspiration from at your level especially because he's the trendiest
                look elsewhere, look in forgotten books find forgotten artists
                the goth trend already happened in art, you're five years too late.

and i'll go against the grain on the positive feedback about the lighting esp if you're talking about the nature of blackness and the absence of light. seems dumb to spotlight the hell out of your black rectangles (maybe they should have been holes?)
                why not devise a on/off moody lighting system that corresponds to your sound heartbeat system and give the viewer the spatial sensation as well as visceral sensation that you are trying to get across through trite, trickled down imagery.
                while this suggestion also runs the risk of being too spookhousey, at least it will get you thinking more concisely about all aspects of your installation
                Last edited by philip nod; 09-19-2008, 07:01 PM.
                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Who?
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                  the julius pic
                  That's it, thank you for jarring the memory.
                  WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• electric_alyce
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                    look in forgotten books find forgotten artists
                    the goth trend already happened in art, you're five years too late.
                    I don't know if I shouldn't take that too litterary, but following trends within art is even worse than following trends in fashion. But hurray for art-discussion.
                    Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

• Servo2000
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by electric_alyce View Post
                      I don't know if I shouldn't take that too litterary, but following trends within art is even worse than following trends in fashion. But hurray for art-discussion.
                      I can only assume that Philip is referring to the rather "watered down" nature of the imagery that is being used in the piece. One could certainly argue that it's best not to follow trends but when the piece itself is a ripoff of that Julius sculpture and then attached with the same sort of thing that the Koh piece "These Decades that we Never Sleep, Black Drums" makes use of (made, note, 4 years ago in 2004) it tends to reminisce of almost nothing but picking up on past art "trends" that are surfacing in popular magazines and the like today. If the piece was "gothic" and yet stood on its own conceptually and aesthetically we wouldn't bother pointing out it's orientation with trends.
                      WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by electric_alyce View Post
                        servo made a great follow up, and i'm not sure how following trends in art is worse than fashion but...
                        its just logical advice when being creative. if everybodys doing it, do something else. or if your in school hero worshiping to find your own identity, take a moment and reflect upon who your hero was ripping off, do some goddam research that isn't presented to you by artforum and bring something new to the table that hasn't been discussed to death by every overzealous curator in the world.
                        i believe its called currency. objects, ideas, they all have a currency. goth has a lot of currency right now. neon had a lot of currency in the 70's/80's. so you have to take into account the currency of your creative meanderings. and often times if a movement/trends currency gets too saturated with watered down ideas/critiques, the blade becomes dull and you might as well destroy what you've made and
                        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                          servo made a great follow up, and i'm not sure how following trends in art is worse than fashion but...
                          its just logical advice when being creative. if everybodys doing it, do something else. or if your in school hero worshiping to find your own identity, take a moment and reflect upon who your hero was ripping off, do some goddam research that isn't presented to you by artforum and bring something new to the table that hasn't been discussed to death by every overzealous curator in the world.
                          i believe its called currency. objects, ideas, they all have a currency. goth has a lot of currency right now. neon had a lot of currency in the 70's/80's. so you have to take into account the currency of your creative meanderings. and often times if a movement/trends currency gets too saturated with watered down ideas/critiques, the blade becomes dull and you might as well destroy what you've made and
                          lots of trendy ideas are shallow, i think there is value in thinking more deeply about popular currency, art-related, or not.

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

I'm trying to get $15,000 from the Nation Endowment for the Art's to produce and photograph Piss Muhammad but no one ever seems to get back to me...
                            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• bestial
                              • Jun 2008

Oh my. Julius, didn't think of it at the time, ideas with bones have followed me through time and also as a reflection of the many nude-studies we do, and how those most time can feel rather dull. But yeah, when you say it Julius might come to mind.

Can't really say that I'm really familiar with Koh either, but getting inspiration for a part of a work that uses elements that I haven't seen in his work doesn't to me feel like a rip-off. It probably is bad homework that I haven't searched through all of art-historys newest pieces so I could've assured myself of being totally new...

Would have to agree with xadam, modern art is shallow, and somewhat everything has been done sometime, but with different aspects that are not the same.

But I can't really justify something that you think are stolen, so.

edit: photos are also very bright, almost complete dark in there, pictures only showing the setup and items.

Comment

• Schadenfreude
                                • Jan 2008

the only time art is not shallow is when the artist is being oppressed and must find alternate means to express his or her ideas.

its sort of amazing to me how freedom limits a persons ability to convey a message outside of making it so direct and obvious it hurts.
                                Originally posted by ddohnggo
                                fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎