X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inaya
    • Apr 2008

Junya Wantanabe Man S/S 09 Paris

Last edited by inaya; 04-15-2009, 03:14 PM.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Junya Watanabe Mens S/S 09 - Paris

Really boring. Posting only a few pictures, because it's basically the same couple of looks repeated ad nauseaum.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Re: Junya Watanabe Mens S/S 09 - Paris

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Re: Junya Watanabe Mens S/S 09 - Paris

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Re: Junya Wantanabe Man S/S 09 Paris

oopsie daisy. let me see if i can merge our threads. if i knew, i certainly wouldn't bother!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matthewhk
            • Jan 2007

what makes it even more boring is the fact Junya has been on THIS kick for the past what, 3 seasons now including this one? Just seems to have mixed a few elements throughout each of them to combine it into a summary. He needs to move on....

Comment

• what_counts
              • Mar 2008

I agree with matthew but overall this is my favorite of the collections like this its cleaner and seems easier to wear, I'm loving those contrast color button ups and the shorts and slimmer denim look great

although i'm not really feeling the patterned lined rolled up jeans

Comment

i love the rolled jeans 50's greaser looks, the denim looks much better this season.

Comment

• ean
                  • Feb 2008

Holy crap, how long did this show take?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="ean"]Holy crap, how long did this show take?[/quote]

way too long, considering that it's three looks in different colors.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                      • Sep 2006

I liked it when he first started on his dandy kick, but 3 seasons later this is getting ridiculousAND this is the most boring of the 3. I'm usually not crazy about "theme" designers, but I think JW is better when he has a theme ie. Bikers, Taxi Driver or even jersey fabric asin his last women's collection. His strength seems to be in doing infinite and interesting permutations of one single idea, but when he's been riffing on the same idea for 3 seasons now, it gets really old.
                      music

Comment

• mesh
                        • Dec 2006

This past spring junya was the best and fall appears to be pretty good but I think this is banking on prior success => not a good idea.

Comment

• Real Real
                          • Feb 2007

I guess a lot of the jackets are reversible. The navy blazer with gingham lapels becomes a gingham jacket with navy lapels. That's kind of cool.

Comment

• soultek
                            • Feb 2007

After reading the ID article on Junya, I think it kind of obviates him from having to fit into the molds of what a fashion designer should be. In the article he talked about being asked to do menswear by Rei. He admitted to not knowing a thing about menswear. His collections are an effort to learn how to design menswear. This explains a lot of the deconstruction that he does. It also explains the collaborations he does with very 'classic' menswear brands (brooks bros., Levis, Nike, etc.). I find this a humble and interesting approach to design.

That being said, perhaps he is honing in on a particular thing? I, for one, like it. I agree that it's getting repetitive. However, if he is getting comfortable with a particular thing and is seeking to make it his own, then wouldn't he need a little repetition to make his point known? Of course a lot of this is presumptuous on my part.

I think there's a lot of room for menswear in this department: reinvented classic british/american menswear looks. Although many on this board seem to detest this aesthetic, I feel that it will always be relevant. I feel that it's very difficult to make this stuff look fresh, and I feel that Junya has done a good job at it.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="soultek"]

After reading the ID article on Junya, I think it kind of obviates him from having to fit into the molds of what a fashion designer should be. In the article he talked about being asked to do menswear by Rei. He admitted to not knowing a thing about menswear. His collections are an effort to learn how to design menswear. This explains a lot of the deconstruction that he does. It also explains the collaborations he does with very 'classic' menswear brands (brooks bros., Levis, Nike, etc.). I find this a humble and interesting approach to design.

That being said, perhaps he is honing in on a particular thing? I, for one, like it. I agree that it's getting repetitive. However, if he is getting comfortable with a particular thing and is seeking to make it his own, then wouldn't he need a little repetition to make his point known? Of course a lot of this is presumptuous on my part.

I think there's a lot of room for menswear in this department: reinvented classic british/american menswear looks. Although many on this board seem to detest this aesthetic, I feel that it will always be relevant. I feel that it's very difficult to make this stuff look fresh, and I feel that Junya has done a good job at it.

[/quote]

That is true. There is only problem, in my opinion, with being "repetitive" - you have to first develop a clear sartorial vocabulary for that, they way Yohji and Ann has done. Junya Man premise #1 (reinterpretation of existing classics) seems to largely (not fully) preclude him from doing that. He definitely has certain elements there - reversibility, de/reconstruction, just not enough to immediately snap your fingers at seeing something without a label and say "Oh, that's Junya!" Maybe now he is in a bit of a rot because he's referenced pretty much everything there is to reference - the suit, the military, the biker, the sportswear. What else is left? I'd like to see him do an astronaut, that maybe cool actually.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎