• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soultek
    • Feb 2007

Re: Junya Wantanabe Man S/S 09 Paris

[quote user="Faust"]

That is true. There is only problem, in my opinion, with being "repetitive" - you have to first develop a clear sartorial vocabulary for that, they way Yohji and Ann has done. Junya Man premise #1 (reinterpretation of existing classics) seems to largely (not fully) preclude him from doing that. He definitely has certain elements there - reversibility, de/reconstruction, just not enough to immediately snap your fingers at seeing something without a label and say "Oh, that's Junya!" Maybe now he is in a bit of a rot because he's referenced pretty much everything there is to reference - the suit, the military, the biker, the sportswear. What else is left? I'd like to see him do an astronaut, that maybe cool actually.

[/quote]

My initial reply was a bit defensive of Junya, but these two sentences sum up my thoughts very well.

I feel like his line is like the prequel to a real collection. He's taking us on a ride of his own experimentation and learning. From an art/design perspective, I very much think this is cool. However I have misgivings when it comes to commerce. Ultimately I think his approach is inspiring enough to justify a niche in the fashion world (or at least under CDG's wing), but maybe I'm being too generous.

I disagree with you in that I think there could be inklings of a Junya-esque vocabulary from these three collections, I suppose it remains to be seen in the coming years.

Comment

• matthewhk
      • Jan 2007

some good points on this page...well I think at this point, even though Junya's menswear only has that core of pushing on existing basics/aesthetics and putting his deconstructionist spin on it....when in a clothing store, I think it's pretty easy to spot where the Junya's at. There is something quite rough and unfinished about his work, his choice of fabrics for mens...while I do not 'detest' this look presented here, I think Junya's been pushing it too long and one need not dress up in Junya to achieve the dandy-fied effect. As much as it gets hated on, the Sartorialist has done quite a good job of capturing street people who pull looks like this off, one can easily sub in a more tailored jacket, maybe add a few quirky details here and there in the styling, a pair of well worn APCs and some gentlemanly shoes and you have it.

the denims are getting praised it seems...best believe they are gonna be priced out of this world, even in Japan.

Comment

• matthewhk
        • Jan 2007

[quote user="Real Real"]I guess a lot of the jackets are reversible. The navy blazer with gingham lapels becomes a gingham jacket with navy lapels. That's kind of cool.[/quote]

yeah it's like a Junya-fied take on Ben Sherman, Band of Outsiders (i know BoO not the first to do this look but its the first name coming to mind), and Paul Smith. Many of these looks seem like something Styleforum member Get Smart would be comfortable in.

Comment

• Avantster
          ¤¤¤
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="soultek"]

My initial reply was a bit defensive of Junya, but these two sentences sum up my thoughts very well.

I feel like his line is like the prequel to a real collection. He's taking us on a ride of his own experimentation and learning. From an art/design perspective, I very much think this is cool. However I have misgivings when it comes to commerce. Ultimately I think his approach is inspiring enough to justify a niche in the fashion world (or at least under CDG's wing), but maybe I'm being too generous.

I disagree with you in that I think there could be inklings of a Junya-esque vocabulary from these three collections, I suppose it remains to be seen in the coming years.

[/quote]

Hrmm, I do feel the same way, but if Junya menswear will only be things that Junya would wear himself, how much further can it really go?

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Sergei_S
            • Jan 2008

Extremely uninteresting! I can't fix on any item.

?????? ??? ? ?????? ?? ?? ????????? ? ???????? ? ?????? ??? ???? ????????? ?????????????. ?????? ?????????: ? ???? ?? ?????????? ???? )))

????? ???????????

I got weapons

Comment

• Schadenfreude
              • Jan 2008

[quote user="inaya"]

[/quote]

These both caught my eye. They both look like photorealistic charcoal and pencil drawings, respectively.

If I am able to walk down the street and constantly look like the suit I am wearing is from the A-Ha (A-ha?) video, I want it.

Originally posted by ddohnggo
              fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• TypicalFashion
                • Mar 2007

i feel like i could just see this in a catalog, i dont see why it needs to be runway. i got really bored scrolling through all those images heh. love junya, but this stuff is Zzzzz

Comment

• Johnny
                  • Sep 2006

agreed tf and others. pretty dull. i still quite like a lot of the clothes, including the revisited outdoor jackets towards the end, but it does seem so similar to the previous two collections as to be slightly odd. itseems to be about refiningboth the theme and the techniques. some of it is quite clever - I've never seen reversible jackets that are actually differentstyles on each side, but which still work as a whole. and i still like the overall look. but it's just been done before. it must have been a pretty boring spectacle. the showroom woul dhave been much better fun and probably all they needed to do.

by the way lanvin is brilliant......

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎