Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you keep fitting into your clothes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: How do you keep fitting into your clothes?

I advise playing team sports to whoever hates exercising - much more intelligent and fun. i don't know - i find gym relaxing. i listen to my own music and don't really look around. concentrating on doing an exercise is a bit of a Buddhist experience - you live in the moment, experiencing it without hindrance.
    </p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

[quote user="danieldy"]

This is something I'm struggling with right now. Gained about 16 lbs in the last year or so.
      </p>

The thing is, I've always been really really into food so its harder for me to slim down. Right now I'm around 5 foot 8 inches and 178lbs. :(</p>

Like theetruscan, exercising is never ever fun for me and reminds me of torture. Instead of enjoying myself, I always think that I could be doing something so much more fun and painless than exercising. </p>

I've been trying to cut back on my intake in the past few weeks but it hasn't really been helping. I've been stuck at 178lbs for a while and can't seem to break it. Any ideas / tips? Haha this totally sounds like a post for a weight loss forum instead of a fashion forum.</p>

[/quote]</p>

I could make a few suggestions. I've gone from 255 - 212 in the last 14 months, while increasing strength and endurance, and if you follow the food thread, you know I don't fuck around. Now, I would be under 200 if I hadn't done a 10 day paris trip last summer with 2 major meals each day, bookended by spectacular london and NYC meals on either end. But, I would also not be nearly as much of a happy bastard as I am.
      </p>

The basic, sad truth is that you have to increase your caloric deficit. You really want to do it in a way that minimizes suck though, and that can be personal. </p>

For me, I find removing nearly all non-fruit, non-chocolate simple carbs from my diet reduces my basic caloric intake without a lot of effort. Upping protein intake, whether by switching snacks to protein shakes (foul, don't believe the hype), or carnivoring your way to satiation will make minor gains in musculature on it's own (more protein tends you towards more muscle/less fat, but slowly slowly). But beyond a pound to two a month, you either have to restrict intake enough to feel hungry or add physical activity. I hate being hungry, it makes me mean and confused.
      </p>

Adding physical activity has always been tricky for me, because the shit I love to do mostly isn't casually doable 4 times a week. Rock Climbing, kayaking, skiing, and the like require preparation, money, and other people. In my case, I did two things. First, I sold my car and bike everywhere. This alone is probably responsible for nearly half of my weight loss. Second, I do physical activities that involve groups. The cameraderie lessens the suck for me, and the people relying on me keeps me from flaking. For the next six weeks I'm in an outdoor running/core training program meeting 4 mornings a week at 7 am. If I went out to do that shit on my own, I would be miserable, but having a few other (6) people there to commiserate with makes it alright, bordering on fun.
      </p>
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• qnc.hst
        • Oct 2007

Aside from the whole genetic predisposition factor, I find it helps to have at least one overweight parent, preferably one that you can remember being nice and trim and then bloating up with inactivity. There is a constant fear that time will have it's way with me. Which it probably will.</p>

That said, I am lucky enough where I do actually enjoy the solitude of running, which I can do with minimal prep/equipment/dependency on others. I do understand why people hate it, though. I wish I could find a local soccer league that would have me, but I think my eyes (and hand-eye coordination) have gotten pretty fucked over the last few years.</p>

Oh, and I definitely put on some winter weight every year.</p>

I also replace all other carbs with beer.</p>
        I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

[quote user="qnc.hst"]

I also replace all other carbs with beer.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Doesn't count. Do you want god to hate you?
          </p>

"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
          </p>
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Real Real
            • Feb 2007

Steak, eggs, salad, whiskey, coffee, tobacco, and water - diet of champions.

Comment

• qnc.hst
              • Oct 2007

[quote user="theetruscan"]

Doesn't count. Do you want god to hate you?
              </p>

"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
              </p>

[/quote]</p>

Do you think god might be worried that I'll consume ALL the beer? It more or less becomes the foundation level of my food pyramid. Possibly down into the antechambers, even.</p>

But if consumption of beer is a way of thanking the heavens for providing us with it, then I do think I'm in the lord's good graces.
              </p>
              I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• DHC
                • Jul 2007

/\ HAHAHA!</p>

Beer is my downfall as well. I cut it out, my weight drops. I've reached a chapter in my life where I don't want to deny myself the libation. I hope this chapter is a short one. Also noticed that a lot of my friends had ballooned up after getting married. I used to think WTF?! Until it happened to me..haha. Taught me not to point fingers though, I'll tell you that much.
                </p>
                Originally posted by Faust
                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Nathaniel Costillo
                  • May 2008

yes i love exercising i surf and cycle daily </p>

and drinking 5 cups of green tea a day speeds up your metabolism like crazy</p>

Comment

• deuxmille
                    • Nov 2006

carbs, salt and soft drinks. gotta maintain that perfect 46 figure, anything below gets inconvenient.

Comment

• genzou2.0
                      • Jul 2008

ive never had problems with weight until recently, so im on mad diet.</p>

but i don't starve myself, just eat the right stuff with occasional treat and make sure i exercise. i think theres a difference between skinny and slim. we don have to be skinny to fit in most of the clothes, just slim.</p>

Comment

• Pinoy
                        • Dec 2006

[quote user="theetruscan"]

For me, I find removing nearly all non-fruit, non-chocolate simple carbs from my diet reduces my basic caloric intake without a lot of effort. Upping protein intake, whether by switching snacks to protein shakes (foul, don't believe the hype), or carnivoring your way to satiation will make minor gains in musculature on it's own (more protein tends you towards more muscle/less fat, but slowly slowly). But beyond a pound to two a month, you either have to restrict intake enough to feel hungry or add physical activity. I hate being hungry, it makes me mean and confused.
                        </p>

Adding physical activity has always been tricky for me, because the shit I love to do mostly isn't casually doable 4 times a week. Rock Climbing, kayaking, skiing, and the like require preparation, money, and other people. In my case, I did two things. First, I sold my car and bike everywhere. This alone is probably responsible for nearly half of my weight loss. Second, I do physical activities that involve groups. The cameraderie lessens the suck for me, and the people relying on me keeps me from flaking. For the next six weeks I'm in an outdoor running/core training program meeting 4 mornings a week at 7 am. If I went out to do that shit on my own, I would be miserable, but having a few other (6) people there to commiserate with makes it alright, bordering on fun.
                        </p>

[/quote]</p>

Thanks for the suggestions, theetruscan. I've been attempting to slowly remove most simple carbs from my diet, but one of my main vices is wine. during dinner last night we opened up a 1989 angelus, 1989 lynch-bages, and a 1989 montrose? throw in some lamb, beef, goat, and roasted bone marrow into the mix and BAM.. there goes my diet. but who in their right mind would say no to such stellar wines? </p>

also, ive been reducing my intake? but never to the point where i actually feel very hungry. i was always under the impression that it was unhealthy to keep yourself hungry? Maybe that's why im not losing weight as fast as i should be.</p>

</p>

Comment

• Real Real
                          • Feb 2007

If you've got the means to drink wines like that on a regular basis, then fuck dieting, you have better things to do.

Comment

• theetruscan
                            • Jan 2008

[quote user="Real Real"]If you've got the means to drink wines like that on a regular basis, then fuck dieting, you have better things to do.[/quote]</p>

I dunno. Being healthy feels pretty damn nice, wealthy or not. But, if you have the means to drink those wines regularly, it may be worth visiting a good nutritionist to talk through things you could do that would help a little and not suck much.
                            </p>

Comment

• HWith
                              • May 2007

No, I actually meant 30 kg. Just adjust your kcal intake so that you gain abou 500 gr. of weight a week. Couple with some serious work out and you'll be able to keep your weight gain consinting of muscle mass only, almost. Note that if you're skinny - which I was - you'll be able to build a lot more muscle very quickly the first half year, where your weight gain can easily be 15 kg, also due to increased glycogene depots, blood volume and stuff like that. :-)</p>

[quote user="theaddict"]</p>

[quote user="HWith"]Luckily I can eat pretty much anything without gaining weight. I do love body building though, a hobby I had to give up because of the enourmous work it was for me to keep a daily intake of 4500 kcal needed to maintain a steady a 500 gram/week weight gain, although I must confess that pure aesthetics was also a pretty big reason I gave up on my training.<u> I lost about 30 kg </u>after deciding to quit bodybuilding, but decided to put on 5 kg again, as I just couldn't get used to be ultra skinny, although I'm still a S in most designers (181 cm / 58 kg).[/quote]</p>

WHAT? You lost 30KG? I mean, i also do some workout, but all i could gain in the years was about 7kg. But 30kg, you must have been like Arnold Schwarzenegger, no?</p>

haha, or was it just a typo, meaning 3kg...[86]
                              </p>[/quote]

Comment

• Jon
                                • Apr 2008

I feel like I've learned more about people on this forum on this single thread than anywhere else. This is great!</P>

This is whatIdo:</P>

1) walk everywhere - I love it.</P>

2) I'm not big on breakfast; no good restaurants around mywork, so I usually get a coffee and scone and that lasts me through to my only actual meal for the day. (lately, consisting of an awesome grilled cheese sandwich with onions and tomatoes, poutine with mushroom gravy and beer) which I supplement with other horrible foodsas required when stoned.</P>

3) soccer twice a week with hipsters/hippies/dirty-grunge-kids. on Sundays the games are about 20 v. 20 and go 3pm till dusk and usually everyone's drunk by the end of it. the games get really intense. this is probably the only reason I'm not a fat fuck. Then again...</P>

</P>
                                <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                                Originally posted by merz
                                perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎