• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genzou2.0
    • Jul 2008

Re: CCP/Julius bend nail ring

danieldy-

like Albert said, i used a ring mandrel. They are sold at most silver crafting stores. u can buy one for like 30 bucks, or even on ebay.

But i must say that getting the rings into perfect circle is extremely difficult. The nails ive used so far are just so freakin hard, and bending them evenly is almost impossible. And also because these rings are spirals and not sealed like normal rings, using the ring mandrel will keep making the ring's diameter bigger and bigger. it takes constant adjustment to get it circular. ive tried heating the nails, which seem to help a little bit with the bending.

anyways, made 2 rings today... and id like to think im getting better at making them but they aren't as pretty as the real ones [:(] the main problem is that there are no nails that are long enough and thin enough for this kind of use. the longest nail i was able to find are 4" and anything longer than that are extremely fat and impossible to bend, thus ive just made a few for my pinky.

got paints today, painted one but its too glossy and make it look cheap like plastic. will be going back to the hobby store and gettin some mat black paints instead. pics will be up tomorrow or wednesday

stay tuned~

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

[quote user="danieldy"] mike? are those meat hooks you're using? is there any chance of damaging the clothing when using those?[/quote]

they're just bent from some metal rod, so the ends are flat

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="danieldy"][quote user="Chinorlz"][quote user="danieldy"]

great work, genzou and mike!

mike? are those meat hooks you're using? is there any chance of damaging the clothing when using those?

genzou? how did you get your ring to be so perfectly round? did u simply wrap it a metal tube while hammering it into shape?

[/quote]

Daniel, there is a tool called a ring mandrel that is used by jewelers to create perfectly round rings. If you don't have one you can substitute a metal tube like you said. The nice thing about mandrels is that they're often notched or marked with ring sizes so you know exactly where to hammer to create a ring of the size you want. A combination of a ring mandrel and a rawhide hammer (so you don't leave toolmarks on the metal) and you'll be banging out these nail rings in no time flat!

[/quote]

Thanks, Albert. :)

Your knowledge on ring-making makes me wonder if there will be some interesting rings coming out in your capsule collection... ;)

[/quote]

Haha, Daniel there will be at least 3 ring designs and a set of cufflinks ;) ... possibly a chain but I'm not sure just yet.

Genzou, along with painting you should try the "oil can" finish. Heat up a finished ring as hot as you can get it and then drop it into a can of oil (motor oil or anything like that) and then let it cool in there. The finished product will have a really lovely "oil slick" type irregular appearance on it.

Cosign on the difficulties with a wider "band" as the mandrels are sloped... it would definitely be easiest on a tube.

Again, great work on the ring. One of the best attempts in the DIY section! It definitely is very hard to find extra long rings... chances are Carol and Julius had them custom made... which wouldn't be too difficult for a semi-large scale since it just requires a mold.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• genzou2.0
          • Jul 2008

alright, been busy so haven't posted much on the progress....

im done with bending! im really tired of bending nails and my hands hurt. so now im working on painting them.

Albert, thanks for the drum can painting! I tried something similar to that where I heat the ring as hot as possible and just paint it with a brush instead of putting in a tank full of paints. i think they turned out quite gooood. just waiting for them to dry now.

also i was bored so i started making Ann's scissor necklaces, these are coming out quite nicely and again im waiting for them to dry.

i got some long metal sticks i will be twisiting around for bracelets so see how that comes out.

stay tuned~

Comment

• osn19
            • Feb 2007

I haven't seen the CCP nail ring in person, but I was wondering if it was actually made entirely with silver ?

As far as I know (I could be wrong), CCP jewlery is usually 925 silver, even the strangest and heavier pieces. Which "kind of" justifies the price and the difference in making between what he creates, and other similar designers.

Originally posted by blacksuit
            wow .. ccp bag is more better than guidi bag?

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Great job Genzou! They're coming out nicely. Can't wait to see closeups later.

Osn, you're right. Carol uses silver... it would just require a mold to be made :)

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• genzou2.0
                • Jul 2008

yeah i think that carol's is made of silver, though ive never handled the ring myself. as far as julius ring is concerend, i don't think they are made of silver because of the price, but they definitely use a mold. after searching for the perfect nail and observing the details on julius rings, i concluded that there are no nails that are as detailed as the ones used for the rings.

well, i had my fun with the nails nontheless, and here are some more pictures below + ann d necklaces

Comment

• genzou2.0
                  • Jul 2008

so i tried painting my rings, they worked out great! just like the ann d scissors i made. now the problem is that rings are on your fingers, and fingers hit things, and naturally the paint came off. and after a week of wear, they came off like how indigo comes off on a pair of raw jeans. black colour stayed in the dents, but the sanded silver part came out on flat surfaces. looks pretty cool imo.

im pretty much done with experimenting now, anyone got suggestions on what i should try next?

Comment

• BlackSilver
                    • Nov 2008

bumping this for updates on the painted rings. i'd like to know what you used and how it is holding up.
                    Looking for a wrap cardigan! odyn vovk or KK, pm me if you have one for sale in 46-48

Comment

• genzou2.0
                      • Jul 2008

o the paint totally came off. I dont think painting them using what i used was a good idea. but, a lot of the black paint was retained in grooves on the ring to give it a real vintage look so not all was wasted.

Comment

paint it with nailpolish...

Comment

• BlackSilver
                          • Nov 2008

pichers please
                          Looking for a wrap cardigan! odyn vovk or KK, pm me if you have one for sale in 46-48

Comment

• genzou2.0
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                            paint it with nailpolish...
                            that is a good idea but i think painting the ring itself just doesnt look good, as there is a layer of paint.
                            i like the dirty silver look now with black in the grooves.

Blacksilver-nothing changed since the last set of pics so no pics sorry

Comment

• D_S
                              • Jul 2008

I think they look great with the dirty dents, but maybe try powdercoating, anodizing, or speeding up some rusting for different looks?

Comment

• reborn
                                • Aug 2008

fyi...it appears MMM will release some nail inspired accessories:

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎