• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Karlo from A said that in his interview. He sees a continuation from Yohji/Rei > Belgium > back to Japan. There is absolutely no doubt that Number (N)ine for example is influenced by Ann, and I would also argue that Takashi has had a good dose of Raf Simons in him. So, I think it is fair. But what I think is unique about the Japanese tradition (and I think John can help me out here) is that Quality (in Pirsig's sense of the word) is ingrained in their culture. I think they simply fused with the influence of the West. That is not to say that the West does not have that tradition, but it got murdered by Modernism (it's very interesting to see that Modernist art and Modernist design had completely opposite aims!), but in Japan it largely survived. And maybe that is exactly what I don't like about Undercover in Particular - it does not have that concern for Quality anymore. Anyway, that's my theory - could be completely bogus though!
    Ah yes, that's right. I was sure I read it somewhere.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. OK, that's it, I need to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I've had it on my to-read list for a while, this has given me the push to just go and order it right now! (Is Lila: An Inquiry into Morals worth reading, too?)
    Something tells me there is probably a specific Japanese term that articulates that sense of Quality you are talking about.

Thanks for pointing me the Miyashita article. The thing is that they are heavily influenced by distinctly non-Japanese youth culture and music. And if they, as you say, have lost that concern for Quality, I wonder if they are really carrying on that Japanese fashion designer tradition (Apart from them obviously being Japanese).

Another quote from the same article here.
    "All my work, whether it’s in fashion or music, is about rebellion and not being conventional.’’
    Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I guess what I was trying to say is that you don't have to necessarily rebel against the previous generation in order to be great.
    Hmm, I will think about this more.
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Lila is a very hard read - ZAMM is much more accessible. I agree about Miyashita and Takahashi - they are the Murakamis of Japanese fashion.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• inaya
        • Apr 2008

Comment

• inaya
          • Apr 2008

Comment

• inaya
            • Apr 2008

Comment

• inaya
              • Apr 2008

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Thanks Inaya. Need to see more.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎