X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rider
    eyes of the world
    • Jun 2009

instead of betting on bitcoin as an investment (which is VERY risky and more of a "trade" anyway) there is the safer route of taking a position in the ETF BOTZ which has NVDA in it as well as other circuit makers but most of its holdings are AI and Robotics (i.e. graphics cards which miners use).
    just my 2cents...
    Last edited by rider; 10-24-2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Arkady
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by rider View Post
      instead of betting on bitcoin as an investment (which is VERY risky and more of a "trade" anyway) there is the safer route of taking a position in the ETF BOTZ which has NVIDA in it as well as other circuit makers but most of its holdings are AI and Robotics (i.e. graphics cards which miners use).
      just my 2cents...
      Good strategy (with semiconductors and transistors in the mix), but the tech industry's massive exposure to the VC bubble is mildly terror-inducing -- and that day of reckoning has been brewing since the IPO tick size change after the .com disaster. One of the reasons I joined my current company is they are entirely self-funded and somewhat insulated.

Keep a watchful eye, is all I'm saying.

Comment

• rider
        eyes of the world
        • Jun 2009

Agreed, diversify as much as possible in sectors.

Comment

• Nickefuge
          • Nov 2014

"The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• bukka
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by bukka View Post
            Serious question, how do you guys, living within the country, cope with this daily madness?
            Still curious. 10 months of daily xanax already
            Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Brookso
              • Nov 2022

Originally posted by bukka View Post
              Serious question, how do you guys, living within the country, cope with this daily madness?

Faust said:
              There were a couple of big tech announcements in the consumer tech world recently that have made me feel sad about the continuing erasure of quality in favor of convenience in our lives.

1) The announcement of iPhone 7, on which you can only listen to you already lossy music only through wireless headphones. In essence this is Apple saying, fuck you and your hi-fi headphones and your headphone DACs. I can only imagine how many enthusiasts this has pissed off; and what are they supposed to do now with the headphones they have invested in? I really hope this will come back to bite Apple hard, but I am not holding my breath.

2) The announcement of Amazon offering unlimited streaming music (MP3, of course) for only $4 a month. The catch is that you can only get that pricing if you buy their new piece of crap Echo Dot "speaker" (which they sell in 6-packs, like beer). Undoubtedly, a ton of people will sign up for this.

We used to LISTEN to music. Like, really listen - not just hum the words in unison or have something in the background but we used to let music be a transformative experience. This quality is increasingly being lost in favor of convenience and I find this really sad. (I also find it disturbing that Amazon treats cultural production as a vehicle for selling low grade consumer products, not that it's news to any one.)

I am going the opposite way. I bought a pair of Focal tower speakers late last year, following up with a new amp and an OPPO universal disc player. I am buying CDs again and I am looking into streaming HD audio.

Bukka - a lot of people here find something they enjoy and just go with it. Some folks fish whole year round, some shoot at their backyard or hunt. I'm mostly doing some woodworking on my free time :D I do other activities too(usually hunting in November and practicing with my 380 pistol (https://gritrsports.com/shooting/fir...stols/380-acp/ Sig P365) at the range. But some folks make it their whole personality basically.
              Yeah, before music got "figured out" and it went from being an art to being(mostly) a business. Those days people can just manufacture a tune that people are going to like for 10-15 repeats, netting it good sales. It's gonna be shallow and repetetive, but it's gonna sell. And that's a really sad part.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎