Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nahneun
    • Feb 2011

Why not just get a Baratza Encore? They're not very big, are quite affordable, and get the job done, especially if you're doing a French press.

Comment

• Jtothewhat
      • Oct 2014

A hand grinder is great if you are only ever making coffee for yourself at home..like others said 2-3 minutes with measuring and grinding and you're set.. but if you drink multiple cups a day, make coffee for you and a spouse or someone else who may have slept over, or are entertaining company fairly regularly.. a hand grinder can become pretty tedious.

Comment

• Shifts
        • Jul 2013

Just stay clear of the very commonly sold (and praised for some unknown reason) Hario Skerton. What a piece of crap. After 17 minutes, you are still gridning, impossible to get evenly size grains (also impossible to find the same settings again and again) and gets jammed with coffee beans constantly.

Have heard good things about Porlex Tall, Rhinowares and Helor 101 (not out on market), but have unfortunately not tried any of them myself yet. So who knows, I had heard good things about Hario Skerton too before getting it.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by nahneun View Post
          Why not just get a Baratza Encore? They're not very big, are quite affordable, and get the job done, especially if you're doing a French press.
          The way my kitchen is set up. Let's say I cannot get another electric gadget unless it's portable.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jtothewhat
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
            Just stay clear of the very commonly sold (and praised for some unknown reason) Hario Skerton. What a piece of crap. After 17 minutes, you are still gridning, impossible to get evenly size grains (also impossible to find the same settings again and again) and gets jammed with coffee beans constantly.

Have heard good things about Porlex Tall, Rhinowares and Helor 101 (not out on market), but have unfortunately not tried any of them myself yet. So who knows, I had heard good things about Hario Skerton too before getting it.
            I have a Skerton and don't mind it at all for doing single cups (15g at a time basically), but yes, the minute I have todo multiple it seems to take exponentially longer and the grind size is less consistent. I have used my friends Lido 2 and it is a very great hand-grinder, definitely a huge improvement over others I have used at a lower price point. Great construction and I don't mind the look of it.

Comment

• timm3h
              • Mar 2011

For what it's worth, there is a very easy modification you can do to your Skerton to make the grind size far more consistent. Also, sifting the coffee after grinding also helps with the inconsistency.

I realize these may seem like annoying extra steps, but it's a $40 product, and I haven't heard of any grinder at a similar price point that's better.
              Clothing deconstruction & review

Comment

• appalled
                • Apr 2015

Like said above the Hario Skerton is worth it if you're making coffee for yourself only. I've had two already, the first one I got was defective and it worked for about a month or two until whenever Hario sent me a replacement and the replacement has been in use for probably three years now. For a hand grinder the quality is great once you get it tuned to the right grind size. My chemex and v60 grind setting is two or three turns from each other but once you take it apart and clean it, it'll take a while to find the place you had it at before. Also you have to add a few minutes to your coffee routine to grind your coffee down, the quality is great of course its no where near a Mahlkonig but it gets the job done and its better than using a blade grinder.

Now the Baratza encore is actually a great grinder for pour over, aeropress and french press. I would not recommend it for espresso at all. It is not that big either and would probably make each of your mornings more convenient than dealing with the Hario Skerton. You can probably pick one up on ebay or through Baratza's refurb page for pretty cheap. My Hario takes up as much counter space as the Baratza would because of the grinder's lever.

I'm actually waiting on the Baratza Siette to finally come out to make a move on a new grinder.

Comment

• uL7iMa
                  • Oct 2010

I have a Skerton, and could never get the grind consistent for my filters.

But then I discovered the OE Lido 3 and have never looked back. It has made a world of difference to my coffee. Always a consistent grind, and less than 30 seconds to grind up 20g of coffee.

Also fine enough to grind espressos should you need to.

It's a bit on the expensive side though: http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-LID...der-_p_70.html

Comment

• Vize1967
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                    Certainly there is no end-all-be-all but I was wondering what you guys would recommend for an espresso machine in the $1000-1500 range that does good work and does a good job of foaming milk.

At the same time some good grinder recs would be much appreciated!

There are almost too many resources available online and everyone has their own opinion but I'd love to hear what you guys use.

I'm like Faust and use a french press for coffee... and I won't even admit to what I use for espresso/cappuccino hahaha
                    BTW what do you use for espresso/cappuccino?

Comment

• stagename
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                      Certainly there is no end-all-be-all but I was wondering what you guys would recommend for an espresso machine in the $1000-1500 range that does good work and does a good job of foaming milk.

At the same time some good grinder recs would be much appreciated!

There are almost too many resources available online and everyone has their own opinion but I'd love to hear what you guys use.

I'm like Faust and use a french press for coffee... and I won't even admit to what I use for espresso/cappuccino hahaha
                      i have a quick mill qm61 which is baSically the cheapest double boiler on the market. super happy so far (1 year in). i can`t really make a difference between this and most of the coffeeshops in my city (and we have 3 with Kees machines. My grinder is a barratza vario but i`d recommend a macap m4 (haven`t used it but a bit tired of adjustements on the vario).

if you don`t make cappuccinos there are great single boiler machines for your price range.

Otherwisei'd recommend a heat exchanger but i didn't want to have to work so much to do my coffee in the morning ;)

I'd suggest 2k-2.5k though for a budget. The quality you get when you move from 1.5 to 2k (especially if you look out for sales) is worth it. I got my set up for about 2k cad (so pennies atm in usd ;))

finally i`d recomend against a silvia, jhust too much hassle to get consistent coffee imo.

Comment

• Yuriii
                        • Dec 2012

For those in New York I highly recommend checking out Voyager Espresso. It's hidden in the Financial District inside a south-facing entryway to the 1 train.

It's a space-age looking shop... like a room that would be tucked away inside the Millennium Falcon. They frequently change up the beans they have on bar and do an excellent job with their extractions.

Comment

• blackdeath
                          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Yuriii View Post
                          For those in New York I highly recommend checking out Voyager Espresso. It's hidden in the Financial District inside a south-facing entryway to the 1 train.

It's a space-age looking shop... like a room that would be tucked away inside the Millennium Falcon. They frequently change up the beans they have on bar and do an excellent job with their extractions.
                          i'll be in the financial district in the morning with a bit of time to kill. thanks for the recommendation! i always go to bluestone lane so it will be nice to try out a new place. cheers

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I just realized that I have not been down there in ages...
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mk85
                              • Mar 2014

If anyone wants good coffee in London - Allpress <3

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Had my first attempt at cold brewing coffee and it's good. A pretty easy process.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎