• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

BEST COFFEE

gorilla in park slope. game over. case closed. pm sent
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Why are they so good?

What do they brew, how do they make it, are you talking coffee or espresso or espresso drinks? Is this a coffee place (like the stumptown annex), an espresso drinker's place (like any number of good joints), or a latte art spot (like Ritual)?

The best espresso I've had yet came from Cafe Grumpy (manhattan location), when they were serving Counter Culture coffee. Sadly, they're not consistently that good.

The best Macchiatos I have had come from Stumptown (Portland Oregon).

The best brewed coffee is, hands down, at the Stumptown Annex, from their Clover. It's not because they use the clover, it's because they tinker with it until they find the "just so" settings for each bean they serve.

Best beans I've had is a tricker answer, and I can't pick one, but if I had to try I'd probably say Stumptown's Finca El Injerto Reserva, which I think is no longer available. I tend to brew Intelligentsia Black Cat or Stumptown Rwanda Musasa at home.

I drink more coffee than most nations.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• kira
      • Mar 2008

definitely. by becoming my new corner coffee shop, gorilla will finally break me away from my unecofriendly addiction to the starbucks grande soy chai.
      Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
        • Nov 2007

i'll +1 gorilla although i couldn't say whether it's the best per say. from my brief barista stint at peets back in the day i know that to truly judge coffee you've got to drink it black from a press pot. and there's a whole theory about espresso drinks and the right beans and heat.
        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
          i'll +1 gorilla although i couldn't say whether it's the best per say. from my brief barista stint at peets back in the day i know that to truly judge coffee you've got to drink it black from a press pot. and there's a whole theory about espresso drinks and the right beans and heat.
          Peets used to be wonderful. Ever since they incorporated, laid off most of their old workforce, and hired new people without experience for higher profits, they've really lost it. They don't have many good baristas and they seem to burn their beans quite often now
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• kira
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
            true on the coffee press...tell me more about the beans and the heat, seriously. i too used to make many a coffee beverage at a restaurant i used to work at oh so many years ago.
            Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• philip nod
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
              Why are they so good?

What do they brew, how do they make it, are you talking coffee or espresso or espresso drinks? Is this a coffee place (like the stumptown annex), an espresso drinker's place (like any number of good joints), or a latte art spot (like Ritual)?

The best espresso I've had yet came from Cafe Grumpy (manhattan location), when they were serving Counter Culture coffee. Sadly, they're not consistently that good.

The best Macchiatos I have had come from Stumptown (Portland Oregon).

The best brewed coffee is, hands down, at the Stumptown Annex, from their Clover. It's not because they use the clover, it's because they tinker with it until they find the "just so" settings for each bean they serve.

Best beans I've had is a tricker answer, and I can't pick one, but if I had to try I'd probably say Stumptown's Finca El Injerto Reserva, which I think is no longer available. I tend to brew Intelligentsia Black Cat or Stumptown Rwanda Musasa at home.

I drink more coffee than most nations.
              as expected..lol....i've been addicted to them for six years, as well as the entire prospect park brooklyn area...they have a website maybe it can answer your questions. www.gorillacoffee.com
              and i agree on the downfall of peets having grown up in the city know as sf.
              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Pinoy
                • Dec 2006

i'm primarily an espresso drinker, and the i've found the espresso that my Nespresso machine makes (from capsules no less!) is pretty damn good. gives a nice, thick crema and a rich flavor every single time.

with regards to coffee shops, im a fan of Intelligentsia here in LA as well as Abraco and Zibetto in NYC.

Comment

• casem
                  • Sep 2006

My favorite in NY was Think Coffee on Mercer and W. 4th, I spend many a late night there, their cheese plates a pretty good too. Nearby Joe's coffee on Waverly probably has better coffee but isn't open very late.

In Chicago, Intelligentsia is great of course, I also have a friend of a friend who is a coffee freak who opened a place called Star Lounge in Ukranian Village, I highly recommend it to anyone in Chi-town.
                  music

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

the one machine I've been very interested in tasting a cup from is the Clover. I want to see what the hype is all about really...

Looking at the Clover x Starbucks website it looks like they dumped a shit ton of the machines in the Boston area (why not NY... I have no idea) so at least I'll be able to test it/taste it in about a month or so.

Anyone give it a go yet?
                    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

Stumptown Annex in Portland used to only serve from Clovers. They had all their roasts sold by the cup. Kind of a grand coffee tasting room. Clovers are very nice. They are basically an industrialized vacuum pot. You lose a bit of the clarity of vacuum pots, gets a bit more "muddled" I suppose would be the word. But, it is a hell of a lot easier to use.

Comment

• makeupexpression
                        • Aug 2008

'irving farm' on irving place, nyc
                        cant say they have the best coffee
                        but definitely a coffee shop that i love to go

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
                          • Jan 2008

Who ever calls that black brownish water they serve
                          at Starbucks coffee, I'll personally get together a lynch
                          mob and hunt you down ...

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
                          Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• jevna
                            • Aug 2007

the best espresso coffee is Illy, made in Trieste, Italy
                            and served in bar Portizza, in Trieste.
                            It's so incredible how just few steps away the same coffee tastes completely differently. I suppose then that it depends on HOW they prepare it (pressure, number of seconds they hold the thing etc.) I think I wouldn't survive with coffees done in other countries....

some people say though that the best coffee is the traditional coffee in Neaples. They have a special moka thing for preparing it used only there. I've always been very interested in it but never had the chance to try it.

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jevna View Post
                              the best espresso coffee is Illy, made in Trieste, Italy
                              and served in bar Portizza, in Trieste.
                              It's so incredible how just few steps away the same coffee tastes completely differently. I suppose then that it depends on HOW they prepare it (pressure, number of seconds they hold the thing etc.) I think I wouldn't survive with coffees done in other countries....
                              You need to branch out. Illy was great when no one was doing coffee right, but it pales in comparison to a lot of the coffees produced by Stumptown, Intelligentsia, Counter Culture and others.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎