Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BECOMING-INTENSE
    • Jan 2008

Has anybody tried Kopi Luwak(Civet Coffee)?
    Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
    Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• t-bone
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
      I'm certainly interested to check it out, but getting old stale pre-ground kopi luwak would hardly be worth the price. I wonder if anyone imports or sells the green beans... hmmm, might have a new mission.

edit: hundredth post, about coffee, kind of appropriate.

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by BECOMING-INTENSE View Post
        Horrid coffee. Expensive for the novelty and rarity. Not worth drinking.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Delving deeper into the process and theories/concepts behind brewing/extraction.

Picked up a Chemex and a Hario Skerton manual ceramic grinder today. I hopefully will soon pick up a PID'd Rancilio Silvia to learn and work on as I start to understand all the components and work that goes into pulling a great shot.

Met a local guy that is about as passionate as they come when it comes to coffee:

Aaron Blanco and his shop/roaster Brown Coffee Co

He does it all. From the traveling/sourcing to the roasting (in his homebuilt roaster) to producing each and every cup of coffee at his home/shop. The attention to detail (drip coffee done on digital scales, glassware preheated, etc. etc.) and how he pours every cappuccino individually at your table speaks to his dedication. It is incredible that someone like him is here in San Antonio.

RBC in New York orders beans from Aaron as do a few other locations. Super tiny batches, all done by him.
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• munch
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
            Horrid coffee. Expensive for the novelty and rarity. Not worth drinking.
            I enjoyed it, but I didn't pay for my cup so not really sure how much it actually is. (was 100% kopi luwak, no blend)

not really similar to what I drink, and not my favourite, but it was nice.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
              Delving deeper into the process and theories/concepts behind brewing/extraction.

Picked up a Chemex and a Hario Skerton manual ceramic grinder today. I hopefully will soon pick up a PID'd Rancilio Silvia to learn and work on as I start to understand all the components and work that goes into pulling a great shot.

Met a local guy that is about as passionate as they come when it comes to coffee:

Aaron Blanco and his shop/roaster Brown Coffee Co

He does it all. From the traveling/sourcing to the roasting (in his homebuilt roaster) to producing each and every cup of coffee at his home/shop. The attention to detail (drip coffee done on digital scales, glassware preheated, etc. etc.) and how he pours every cappuccino individually at your table speaks to his dedication. It is incredible that someone like him is here in San Antonio.

RBC in New York orders beans from Aaron as do a few other locations. Super tiny batches, all done by him.

tip from a barista... power drill + hario = no more hand grinding.
              and also, stick with a finer grind on the hario -- the coarse grind is inconsistent.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
                tip from a barista... power drill + hario = no more hand grinding.
                and also, stick with a finer grind on the hario -- the coarse grind is inconsistent.
                Much appreciated :)

Power drilled hario. I love it!

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

Protip: The laser-cut Kone by Coava makes Chemex taste that much better. Also, you don't have to throw away a paper filter or two every day.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• cjbreed
                    • Feb 2009

Delving deeper into the process and theories/concepts behind brewing/extraction....
                    hey albert quick question,
                    do u ever just sit around and like play call of duty or something?

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
                      hey albert quick question,
                      do u ever just sit around and like play call of duty or something?

Hahaha, my friends all do. I sometimes play Guitar Hero though if that counts

Thanks for the tip on the Kone. Didn't know about this product. Does it generate/allow a lot of fines in the final drink though? What attracted me to the Chemex + Chemex filter is the cleanliness of the drink. Since I have something like 100 filters now though I'll use those bad boys for a while before I experiment further.

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Yes, you get a tiny bit of sediment. But, you just make a bit more than you need, and don't pour out the very bottom.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                          Yes, you get a tiny bit of sediment. But, you just make a bit more than you need, and don't pour out the very bottom.
                          Word. Thanks again my friend

Comment

• comedyzen
                            • May 2009

I been using a non PID Silvia for the past 4 years. I love it....but I am gearing up to step it up to the next level. It took me several months of wooing this little stainless bitch, but once you get her, she will deliver a nice shot. After a few years of using this, I have learned its short comings for someone who wants more. But for a beginner, this is the perfect, tad above entry level, espresso machine. The Silvia has been very reliable and has taught me well. She is paired with the Rocky, which I will continue to use with the next one.

T-Bone, i've been researching the Cellini. Was there a reason you got the Giotto over the Cellini?

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                            I have a Rocket Giotto Premium Plus that I love, though thats a little outside your price range.
                            Last edited by comedyzen; 03-27-2011, 04:26 AM.

Comment

• docintheory
                              • May 2008

Coffee Grinders

Can anyone suggest a decent coffee grinder? I've been researching finding that some grinders then to over extract the coffee bean which I think lends to more bitterness in the brew. Wanted to see if members have their own methodology for grinding with home-brewing.

Considering a Porlex hand grinder, I hear great things...

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

A couple of new places popped up in the Broadway/Lafayette stop area - anyone check them out? Serious competition down there now.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎