X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Acid, Bitter and Sad
    • Mar 2007

Which ones E?
    Am looking to checkout new coffee places...

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

There is one on Houston, next to Pullino's and there is one on Lafayette, right about Houston, using Intelligentsia coffee. With La Colombe just below Houston (and McNally Jackson cafe brewing Stumptown), things are heating up, lol.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
        • Mar 2007

Thanks.
        Good to know.
        When i'm in that area, i usually just head to LaColombe or McJ.

Comment

• swrecked
          • Sep 2011

Intelligentsia makes some of the best coffee I've had. One of their baristas made it to the world championship last year and believe he placed in the top 5. Their shop in downtown Chicago is worth checking out.

Comment

• t-bone
            • Dec 2009

If I'm in SoHo my upstate pride still takes me to Gimme Coffee on Mott, but Grumpy is still my #1 in the city. Haven't yet been to their new LES location on Essex though.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
              If I'm in SoHo my upstate pride still takes me to Gimme Coffee on Mott, but Grumpy is still my #1 in the city. Haven't yet been to their new LES location on Essex though.
              Grumpy at Greenpoint is my favorite place when I have to sit down and study. It's more spacious than Variety and I like the cappuccino better at Grumpy. Overall though, my favorite out of all the places I've gone to thus far, Abraco is my go-to. They somehow get their espresso/cappuccino's so thick and rich it just rocks.
              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• casem
                • Sep 2006

My absolute favorite lately has been El Beit in Williamsburg. Their espresso is sooooo good, earthy and complex without any bitterness. On a good day beats Grumpy and Blue Bottle IMO.
                music

Comment

• munch
                  • Aug 2008

so IMO best coffee in Montreal that I have found is at Café Myriade in case anyone from around there likes coffee. Pikolo isn't bad either definitely my 2nd choice (+ it is closer from where I lived), think they are related or something like so.

Cafe Myriade
                  1432 Rue Mackay Montreal, QC H3G 2H7
                  uhh I think you get there from the Concordia metro easiest? I went by car most of the time I got there, and I wasn't driving.
                  walked by Sherbrooke down to Mackay and found it so eh you could do that too I suppose
                  their cappuccino is awesome IMO, and great espresso shots. latte is really nice too actually. haven't tried anything else but this place is highly recommended.

Pikolo
                  3418 B Av. du Parc, Montreal, QC H2X 2H5
                  just straight up from the McGill university up to Parc pretty much, on the opposite side of the road from Provigo, just after a Tim Hortons (that is being built right now) and Second Cup.
                  ps I would not get the chai latté, it's not very great - the rest that I tried have been really good though.

Comment

• morsto
                    • Nov 2008

Kent Kaffe Laboratorium (Kent Coffee Lab) in Copenhagen is amazing. They roast their own beans and there is always several interesting possibilities along with many good brewing methods to choose from, such as Hario v60 and syphon, Chemex, Airpress etc.~
                    I do not recognise the vessel,
                    but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• comedyzen
                      • May 2009

Tried this the other month when I was in LA. Siphoned coffee. It was a fascinating and beautiful process watching my cup brew thru the Japanese siphon but even though it was good, I prefer a stronger and bolder brew like single cup drip from Philz in SF.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

With some of the new coffee discussion going on in Home Appliances, I wanted to revive this thread to ask people their recs on a home machine upgrade.

Currently I use a Silvia and a mini Mazzer for espresso/cappuccino. No PID... I just temp surf the Silvia.

I'm thinking about upgrading to something with a double boiler and easier adjustments of pressure/temp possibly. I hate having the espresso end up cooling and the crema dissipating as I wait for the boiler to get up to temp. I get a lot of irregularity in the steaming process as well and would prefer something with more reliability on that end for consistent microfoam.

The options in the $1k to 1.5k range are vast... I know there are a lot of you guys on here way more versed on the topic than I am and I'd love to hear your thoughts!
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• munch
                          • Aug 2008

hmm I know this may be useless advice but coffee geek friend of mine suggested this: http://www.1st-line.com/machines/com...so-machine.htm

or this: http://www.1st-line.com/machines/hom..._BZ07_semi.htm

I hope it would be able to satisfy your coffee brewing needs...
                          Last edited by munch; 12-25-2011, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• t-bone
                            • Dec 2009

I should clarify that I didn't choose/purchase the Giotto, rather I won it in a drawing at my local coffee shop. I had purchased a PID modified Silvia previously so this was definitely a step up, even if it wouldn't have been my first choice for purchase.

I DO perform the cooling flush as indicated, but I always like to heat my cups before extraction anyway so it isn't really an inconvenience. Beyond that the machine performs admirably, with about 6-7 seconds before first drops and about 24-26 seconds before blonding, which in my opinion is perfect timing for a double ristretto shot.

Regarding the portafilter, I actually don't use the stock one, but a bottomless one I had purchased previously, so I can't comment on larger baskets not fitting, but like I said, I use a double rather than triple anyway.

Comment

• Skye X
                              • Oct 2010

Blue Bottle Coffee here in Oakland is my absolute favorite. They're roasters, but have their own little cafe in the roastery out in the industrial section. It's amazing.

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                                • Jan 2011

from a friend in the know, they use a lot of bean per shot, and extract basically a single shot out of a double's worth of beans which gives a very sweet and fragrant shot but can lack depth sometimes..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎