X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cowsareforeating
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jumpoff View Post
    Tim Wendelboe definitely knows his stuff. Best roaster in Norway in my opinion.

Good read on coffee culture in Oslo in New York Times Magazine:

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...offee-in-oslo/

thanks for a good read. maybe i will stop buying clothes and buy a real nice grinder and at least work on some rusty barista skills... sucker for most pourovers and aeropress.

Comment

• Laconic
      • Apr 2009

You guys will have to excuse my ignorance on this subject; I'm just barely getting into making good coffee at home. I've picked up some beans from Stumptown, but the only thing available (not such a diverse selection where I'm from) was the Hairbender espresso blend. What are the disadvantages to using an espresso blend in an AeroPress? Does the device preform better pending on how light or dark the roast is? Also, is there a specific temperature that the water should be at? I usually wait until it's a little under boiling point.

Thanks!

Comment

• cowsareforeating
        • Jan 2011

aeropress should be 160-180 depending on preference.

you're fine with the beans -- espresso blend should do fine? "blends" are just constructed with a certain flavor profile taht the roaster is trying to achieve -- most single origins are too pure (imo) to pull a really tasty shot (they can be fragrant, clear, but more balance usually leads to a better profile) hence blends of any sort.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
          My man! I take my cue from MFK Fisher here... usually a 'spro in the afternoon, but sometimes I'll grab an americano (iced in the summer) or brew in the Chemex in the office, but always black.
          Nerds!
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

While having a couple of breakfasts at Frog Hollow Farm in San Fran I noticed that they use Verve coffee. It tasted outstanding.

Order Coffee Online from Verve Coffee Roasters. Hand-roasted daily, enjoy craft coffees with unique tasting & roasting profiles. Free Shipping on orders $35+.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• blacktulip
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Laconic View Post
              You guys will have to excuse my ignorance on this subject; I'm just barely getting into making good coffee at home. I've picked up some beans from Stumptown, but the only thing available (not such a diverse selection where I'm from) was the Hairbender espresso blend. What are the disadvantages to using an espresso blend in an AeroPress? Does the device preform better pending on how light or dark the roast is? Also, is there a specific temperature that the water should be at? I usually wait until it's a little under boiling point.

Thanks!
              Good Aeropress technique described here: http://en.foodie.fm/blog/2012/1/9/ta...-of-three.html

I use it once in a while but dislike using plastics in the kitchen.
              "Silicon is a gas"

Comment

• nahneun
                • Feb 2011

do you guys prefer drip or french pressing when at home?

Comment

• aussy
                  • Jul 2011

French press, easy cleanup and richer flavor

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ second

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

Single cup drip or chemex for me.

Coffee pots make drek, but I find french press too muddy and "thick" for my tastes.

If I want something that hits between the single cup drip and the french press, I'll go Chemex with a Koava Cone.

When I have the time, vacuum is the way to go, but it's a finicky, time consuming process.

My tools of choice:

with either hario or bonmac filters (both work in the Chemex as well)

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/pro...ss_handle.html with either Chemex Filter, one from above, or:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...ci_sku=4023669 - which gives a bit of the richness of french press, without the "muddiness."
                      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• blacktulip
                        • Nov 2011

I do hand drip at home a la Hario and have an Aeropress in the cupboard at the in-laws.
                        "Silicon is a gas"

Comment

• blacktulip
                          • Nov 2011

Oh and I have the Koava cone too... and the disk for Aeropress which I highly recommend.
                          "Silicon is a gas"

Comment

• Patroklus
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2011

muddy french press = change the consistency of the grind & move the coffee to a new pot to prevent overbrewing
                            'course, i don't know why you're complaining. get your hands on a turkish coffee pot and get ready for the true mud experience. speaking of which, i need a new turkish pot.

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                              muddy french press = change the consistency of the grind & move the coffee to a new pot to prevent overbrewing.
                              It's not that I'm letting the grounds through or overbrewing. It's that the flavors seem "muddy" to me. I don't quite know how to phrase it better, but we used to brew side-by-side single cup drip, french press, vacuum pot, and clover with a number of coffees (along with cupping), and the french press makes coffee taste richer, but in exchange the flavors are more muted and indistinct. It's just not my thing.
                              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• volta
                                • May 2009

good coffee places worth noting in japan?

theetruscan.. chinorlz.. t-bone?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎